Heat pump being used or not?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sorry if this may have been covered before but I couldn't find the answer.
How do you know if the heat pump is actually working? And if there isn't some symbol shown to verify it has cut in, how would you know if it's faulty or not?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I havent checked this myself but would have thought that standing outside the car, maybe bonnet up, you would hear the compressor and or condensing fan when its running. Just make sure you set a temperature that will bring it on.
It may too quiet to hear inside the car with the fan running.
Im not aware of any indication running light.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:24 pm I havent checked this myself but would have thought that standing outside the car, maybe bonnet up, you would hear the compressor and or condensing fan when its running. Just make sure you set a temperature that will bring it on.
It may too quiet to hear inside the car with the fan running.
Im not aware of any indication running light.
....and of course you are getting the temperature you dialled in!
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Presumably it has a sensor (like everything else in the car) so it would tell you if it's not working, but there's no visual indicator in the car when it is working.
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

I asked this question of my dealer after having had my car for a few days and not finding anything about it in the manual. He said it was automatic operation. Don't know about a 'not working' indicator. I read somewhere that the eNero draws about 1.75 kW with a heat pump and 5.5 kW with conventional heating. Perhaps that would be an indicator of whether it's working or not.
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 pm Presumably it has a sensor (like everything else in the car) so it would tell you if it's not working, but there's no visual indicator in the car when it is working.
So if we assume there is a sensor, how would it tell you if it's not working?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

By having two... this is where Boeing went wrong with the 737max (probably an air speed sensor is more important to a plane than whether the heatpump is working on a car though....)
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

No, you need three. If you only have two, you don't which one is functioning properly. That's why planes normally have three.
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Thinking out loud now. If there is no indication that the heat pump is working or not, how do we know whether they have actually fitted it to the car? Or just fitted a placebo?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 pm Presumably it has a sensor (like everything else in the car) so it would tell you if it's not working, but there's no visual indicator in the car when it is working.
I also think that is correct. It must have a feedback control.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:26 pm Thinking out loud now. If there is no indication that the heat pump is working or not, how do we know whether they have actually fitted it to the car? Or just fitted a placebo?
That would be a good cost saver 😂
Heatpumpgate 🤫
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Warnings on the infotainment system, same as if any other sensors trigger…
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:26 pm Thinking out loud now. If there is no indication that the heat pump is working or not, how do we know whether they have actually fitted it to the car? Or just fitted a placebo?

There is a yellow sticker under the bonnet, the codes on the sticker for a heat pump is different to the regular non-pump heating system.

I don’t know the codes as I don’t have a pump.
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Look under the bonnet for a yellow sticker near the front. If you have a heat pump fitted the refrigerant will be R744 (CO2). If not then the refrigerant for the standard A/C is R1234yf.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 pm
Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Warnings on the infotainment system, same as if any other sensors trigger…
Is that correct? Is there some better manual that tells us what is reported via the infotainment system?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You're expecting a list of all the possible error warnings to be published? Well that would make sense I suppose but given that VW dealers clearly have no access to one, I doubt it exists.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am You're expecting a list of all the possible error warnings to be published? Well that would make sense I suppose but given that VW dealers clearly have no access to one, I doubt it exists.
This is my first foray into dealing with VW dealers and so far, I'm not that impressed. I wouldn't say they are worse than any other car stealer but I hoped for better after the Diesel debacle.
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 am Is that correct? Is there some better manual that tells us what is reported via the infotainment system?

I haven't seen anyone ever show a "heat pump not working" screenshot.

I would be very surprised if a fault with one was not shown given all the stuff that is shown.

You might get this pop up on the display behind the steering wheel:

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 10.03.02.png

That's taken from the online manual which you can access here: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... nuals.html

You might also get a "report" shown on the infotainment system.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:24 am
Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 am Is that correct? Is there some better manual that tells us what is reported via the infotainment system?

I haven't seen anyone ever show a "heat pump not working" screenshot.

I would be very surprised if a fault with one was not shown given all the stuff that is shown.

You might get this pop up on the display behind the steering wheel:

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 10.03.02.png

That's taken from the online manual which you can access here: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... nuals.html

You might also get a "report" shown on the infotainment system.
Let's hope we never see it.