Turning Off Lane Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
jasonrcook

Post by jasonrcook »

Normally it doesn't bother me too much. But, I have noticed that it really struggles in rain. The tracks from the vehicle in front seem to make it think I'm constantly crossing lanes so the wheel is constantly moving. For me, that is a good enough reason to want to turn it off - so having to do that through the screens each time is a pain. Even worse, is realising I haven't done it before setting off so have to do it during the journey and therefore having to do it on the move whilst the wheel is trying to kill me! :-)

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
I would very much doubt that they would ever find out in the event of an accident.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

gailjon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 am
andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
I would very much doubt that they would ever find out in the event of an accident.
I would suggest it depended on the nature and severity of the accident and who got involved. Insurance companies will go a long way to avoid paying out.
Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

All new VW's and I think other NCAP 5 vehicles have to have it enabled by default, I had a Tiguan on loan the other day and it was permanently enabled, you could turn it off in the menu, but no simple on and off button on the stalks.
Deleted User 1426

And regarding the insurance implications, if you can turn it off on every journey by going through hoops it makes no difference if it is set to remember last setting. You can turn it on and off anyway.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:49 am And regarding the insurance implications, if you can turn it off on every journey by going through hoops it makes no difference if it is set to remember last setting. You can turn it on and off anyway.
Yeah, that is a good point.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am
I would suggest it depended on the nature and severity of the accident and who got involved. Insurance companies will go a long way to avoid paying out.

I agree. I also think that increasingly the electronic state of the vehicle, and modifications made to it, are going to come under more and more scrutiny in future. Which will likely make OBD modifications insurance-notifiable, and probably more secured by design in the electronics of the vehicle.

Of course you can still turn it off and on, but modifying the default state may invalidate your insurance :-(
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 1426

If I am driving with Lane Assist off (which is a default menu choice that I make whenever I start the car) what difference would it make if I had an accident and lane assist was off because it had been set to remember last setting? In one instance it is me that turns it off (every trip except when I want it on for motorways like the user manual suggests) and the other instance, the car remembers I want it turned off for every trip (except when I turn it on for motorways)??
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Aren’t all the settings stored for recall somewhere in the system?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm If I am driving with Lane Assist off (which is a default menu choice that I make whenever I start the car) what difference would it make if I had an accident and lane assist was off because it had been set to remember last setting? In one instance it is me that turns it off (every trip except when I want it on for motorways like the user manual suggests) and the other instance, the car remembers I want it turned off for every trip (except when I turn it on for motorways)??

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that defaults matter, which is why the default to "on" is part of EuroNCAP.

Until EuroNCAP ignore that evidence, or vehicle manufacturers ignore EuroNCAP points, you'll be making that elective choice.

I think Satan will be ice-skating to work long before that :-)
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Deleted User 1426

Do you have any hard evidence for the statement?

"There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that defaults matter."

It could just as easily be an issue where as I came around a blind bend the car pulled me into a cyclist because I had to pull out into a white line to pass them.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm I had to pull out into a white line to pass them.

I’m usually well over the white line to overtake cyclists, seeing as they should be given 1.5m clearance.

A flick of the indicator stalk will allow you to go as far over a line as you wish without the assist system doing anything.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm I had to pull out into a white line to pass them.

I’m usually well over the white line to overtake cyclists, seeing as they should be given 1.5m clearance.

A flick of the indicator stalk will allow you to go as far over a line as you wish without the assist system doing anything.
Good point. It may well force some people to actually use their indicators. Where I live it’s as if indicators are optional extras.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm Do you have any hard evidence for the statement?

"There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that defaults matter."

It could just as easily be an issue where as I came around a blind bend the car pulled me into a cyclist because I had to pull out into a white line to pass them.

Yes I do, but do feel free to come to your own evidenced conclusions independently.

Your example is where I would place you firmly at fault and provides interesting confirmatory evidence for why defaults matter. Had you indicated to cross the white line - as you should - then the LKA would not pull you into the cyclist as indicating deactivates it. The default is trying to stop you crossing the white lines without indicating.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Splitty

Post by Splitty »

The way I read it, the VW manual says "Use the lane keeping system only on motorways and well-developed country roads." So the expectation is that you will be switching it off in certain situations and therefore it makes no difference what the default setting is. The legal situation has also been discussed on another ID3 forum and the conclusion there was that setting the default setting to remember last setting would not affect the legal aspects.
Newlec74

Post by Newlec74 »

Have to agree as a safety feature it does more harm than good. The amount of times it has violently grabbed the wheel and nearly caused an accident is ridiculous.
Found it particularly problematic when there had been heavy rain, so when trying to avoid large amounts of water on the passenger side. Having the indicators on permanently is a less than ideal solution.
Can’t help but feel the software on the ID3 has been rushed to market and that we are the beta testers.
Golf firmware wasn’t perfect but it was so much better than this!
Slathe

Post by Slathe »

Is there a YouTube video showing how lane assist can take control? Is it really as bad as you are all saying? Also is it standard on all ID3 models? Ordered the Life pro so hoping this is not on as sounds like a right pain to deactivate it every time.

On my wife Jaguar E-Pace, the steering wheel just vibrates if the car detects you are not in the correct lane position.
Uphamid3

Post by Uphamid3 »

I am still waiting for my id3 which hopefully will be delivered towards the end of this year. However, when I test drove the car, a large proportion of the mileage was on narrow rural roads with very poor road markings, at relatively high speeds, and I hadn’t even considered the Lane Assist feature when I set off.

All I felt was a relatively mild ‘nudge’ occasionally, it slightly took me by surprise the first time, but I thought it was very mild and not a problem at all. I had the car all day, and I didn’t feel the need to investigate any way to disable the feature.

I tend to hold the steering wheel relatively firmly - not a tight grip, but because many of the roads in the rural area where I live are patched, ridged, rutted an pot-holed, with alternating camber and an undulating surface, a firm grip is required and is normal for me.

I know some drivers have a very light touch on the steering wheel, so perhaps it’s more of a problem for such drivers?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Uphamid3 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:44 pm I am still waiting for my id3 which hopefully will be delivered towards the end of this year. However, when I test drove the car, a large proportion of the mileage was on narrow rural roads with very poor road markings, at relatively high speeds, and I hadn’t even considered the Lane Assist feature when I set off.

All I felt was a relatively mild ‘nudge’ occasionally, it slightly took me by surprise the first time, but I thought it was very mild and not a problem at all. I had the car all day, and I didn’t feel the need to investigate any way to disable the feature.

I tend to hold the steering wheel relatively firmly - not a tight grip, but because many of the roads in the rural area where I live are patched, ridged, rutted an pot-holed, with alternating camber and an undulating surface, a firm grip is required and is normal for me.

I know some drivers have a very light touch on the steering wheel, so perhaps it’s more of a problem for such drivers?

Some drivers disproportionately dislike the machine passing judgement on their driving decisions, particularly with regard to steering wheel control and indicator use. Thus, different drivers react differently to the ELK technology in the ID.3.

There's EuroNCAP test video footage covering the whole test, including ELK and the AEB features, activating on an ID.3. The ID.4 one ploughed on through a cyclist, so got marked down...

Tesla Model Y Long Range