Home charger cost effective or not?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm Has anyone got any advice (pros and cons) of Ohme Home Pro EV?

2G/3G/4G multinet sim card – cost covered by Ohme for the first 3 years.
What happens after 3 years.

Any recommendations for a smart tethered home charger (no solar panels) which does not require a sim card?

I have the Ohme and it's a breeze to use with Octopus GO. I have mine set up so it will only charge in the 5p per kWh window (so your shameless friends wouldn't get anything from it unless they were parked overnight), and a SIM based system is a far better solution than WiFi unless you have a consistent and very strong WiFi signal that reaches as far as the charging point.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I like the look of the ohme mini - and if I were in the market for a charger again I’d give it a good look.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm Has anyone got any advice (pros and cons) of Ohme Home Pro EV?

2G/3G/4G multinet sim card – cost covered by Ohme for the first 3 years.
What happens after 3 years.

Any recommendations for a smart tethered home charger (no solar panels) which does not require a sim card?

Had the Home Pro been available when I was making our charger selection, it would have won over the Hypervolt. Bear in mind though I am much more sanguine about year3+ GSM charges and reliance on app/Internet infrastructure than many, and Ohme is very dependent upon that, but only mildly more so than their competitors.

I suspect at £550 installed the Home Pro is going to be a massive success in bulk.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am
I have the Ohme and it's a breeze to use with Octopus GO. I have mine set up so it will only charge in the 5p per kWh window (so your shameless friends wouldn't get anything from it unless they were parked overnight), and a SIM based system is a far better solution than WiFi unless you have a consistent and very strong WiFi signal that reaches as far as the charging point.
Has Ohme provided written confirmation there is no extra charge for using the data sim after 3 years?

Many installers claim, on their websites, state: "2G/3G/4G multinet sim card – cost covered by Ohme for the first 3 years."

So, what happens after 3 years?
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It’s great that a lot of contributors here are able to get the Octopus 5p overnight charging rate. I live in an area where there is no possibility of getting a smets2 meter, as there is no WAN network available. Let’s all remember the chaos that is engulfing the energy sector at the moment. These cheap overnight rates might not last much longer. The price of standard rate electricity has virtually doubled already. And the outlook is that next April will see another jump in prices.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am
Has Ohme provided written confirmation there is no extra charge for using the data sim after 3 years?

Many installers claim, on their websites, state: "2G/3G/4G multinet sim card – cost covered by Ohme for the first 3 years."

So, what happens after 3 years?

Ohme reserve the right to bill you. Unsurprisingly they don't appear to have set their pricing 3 years in advance, to nobody's surprise.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:38 pm
Ohme reserve the right to bill you. Unsurprisingly they don't appear to have set their pricing 3 years in advance, to nobody's surprise.
In which case this would mean I am out. They could hold a gun to my head.
They could say, "Pay £10 a month (or £100 a month) or it is not going to work".

It is shameful they do not spell out costs after 3 years.

I then prefer a charger that uses wifi (or both).
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:38 pm
In which case this would mean I am out. They could hold a gun to my head.
They could say, "Pay £10 a month (or £100 a month) or it is not going to work".

It is shameful they do not spell out costs after 3 years.

I then prefer a charger that uses wifi (or both).

Yes they could. I doubt they will. But it's possible.

Likewise any of the charger manufacturers could do exactly the same thing, wifi connection or not. Not a single one of them have said their Internet services will remain free in perpetuity. Ohme, at least, have said they reserve the right to charge you after 3 years.

Logically speaking then, the situation for all charger manufacturers with their own Internet platform is identical, and therefore can be ignored as a parameter during product selection decisions. Assuming you're being logical, of course.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:36 pm Logically speaking then, the situation for all charger manufacturers with their own Internet platform is identical, and therefore can be ignored as a parameter during product selection decisions. Assuming you're being logical, of course.
No, as data sim has an additional cost compared to home wifi often out of control of a manufacturer.

What is the cheapest data sim on the market per month?
Ohme could charge £5 a month.

The cost of wifi is the home owners' own cost and they can control this. No cost to Ohme.

This is logical!
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:36 pm Logically speaking then, the situation for all charger manufacturers with their own Internet platform is identical, and therefore can be ignored as a parameter during product selection decisions. Assuming you're being logical, of course.
No, as data sim has an additional cost compared to home wifi often out of control of a manufacturer.

The cost of wifi is the home owners' own cost and they can control this. No cost to Ohme.

This is logical!
Has your broadband provider committed to you for this costs for more than three years ahead then? Or even in years 2 and 3, whereas at least you know the Ohme sim will be free for that period.

Anyway I am very pleased with my Ohme charger. Alhough I have not yet used the overnight charging facility because I have not yet switched to Octopus Go - just when I was finally in a position to do so, they upped the tariffs for the other 20 hours by about 50%. I am on a fixed rate at present, so while the 5p cheap rate would be nice I would be looking at a 60% hike on all my other electricity use from about 15p to 24p. Some complicated sums to be done!
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

This is logical!

This is village idiot economics but let’s go with it and exclude Ohme from your shortlist of chargers that you said repeatedly previously you weren’t going to purchase. What next?
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

chrisfs wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:57 pm

This is logical!
Has your broadband provider committed to you for this costs for more than three years ahead then? Or even in years 2 and 3, whereas at least you know the Ohme sim will be free for that period.

Anyway I am very pleased with my Ohme charger. Alhough I have not yet used the overnight charging facility because I have not yet switched to Octopus Go - just when I was finally in a position to do so, they upped the tariffs for the other 20 hours by about 50%. I am on a fixed rate at present, so while the 5p cheap rate would be nice I would be looking at a 60% hike on all my other electricity use from about 15p to 24p. Some complicated sums to be done!

Chrisfs if you have a smart meter then Guy Lipman’s web site is great for comparing tariffs based on real historical usage - you can just plug in any old tariff and see what it would have cost you based on your historical usage figures. Site at https://energy.guylipman.com/sm/home if you want to take a squint.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

This is logical!
If your WiFi signal is poor where your charger would connect, you'll be reliant on a SIM based system, and no one will give perpetuity assurances for lack of annual charges beyond the warranty period. As already stated, it is highly unlikely Ohme would go down that route unless they all did. To provide the odd device update and to check off-peak times against your tariff is going to be a tiny amount of data, a few Mbs, tops, not Gbs of data.

If you want a perpetuity agreement written in the CEO's, first born's blood, you're not going toget that from any smart charger manufacturer. You either accept that or you could use it as a dumb charger at standard rates, or schedule times with the car rather than the charger to take advantage of preferential rate charging.

Your demands of the charger manufacturers are completely irrational. You'll have to pick one without those kind of reassurances.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The 3 year cost of the sim for my sync ev is £30. Cheaper deals exist too.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm This is village idiot economics but let’s go with it and exclude Ohme from your shortlist of chargers that you said repeatedly previously you weren’t going to purchase. What next?
Are you the village idiot who does not understand economics? We can both trade insults, if this is the way you want to go.

A charger based upon wifi cannot incur an additional charge from Ohme,
A charger based upon a sim card can end up with monthly sim card charges from Ohme.
Most people have wifi at home so would not be incurring an additional charge.
My router is very close to where my charger would be and the signal would be strong.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

chrisfs wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:57 pm

This is logical!

The Ohme charger is a breeze to set up with GO 5p per unit overnight rate. Our monthly electric bill went up from about £40 a month with no ID3s to about £60 a month with our 2 ID3s covering about 1100.miles a month between them.

Depends on your mileage, but if you were doing as per ours,

Assuming you are using £40 per month household electricity only and do 1000 miles miles per month at 3.5 miles per kWh, with no Octopus GO rate, if your current rate is 15p per kWh, you'll be adding about £43 a month to your bill. If you go at the higher rate but get your 5p rate overnight on Go,

Taking into account a presumed 25p per day standing charge, your £40pm household use becomes £59.50 a month, but juicing up your ID3 for 1000 miles a month becomes £14.29 a month, total bill = £73.79pm on the new rate vs £83pm.

If I've underestimated your household use or massively overestimated the miles you do, I'd stay on the rate you're on. Otherwise, I'd switch.

Cherry

Post by Cherry »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm
If your WiFi signal is poor where your charger would connect, you'll be reliant on a SIM based system, and no one will give perpetuity assurances for lack of annual charges beyond the warranty period. As already stated, it is highly unlikely Ohme would go down that route unless they all did. To provide the odd device update and to check off-peak times against your tariff is going to be a tiny amount of data, a few Mbs, tops, not Gbs of data.

If you want a perpetuity agreement written in the CEO's, first born's blood, you're not going toget that from any smart charger manufacturer. You either accept that or you could use it as a dumb charger at standard rates, or schedule times with the car rather than the charger to take advantage of preferential rate charging.

Your demands of the charger manufacturers are completely irrational. You'll have to pick one without those kind of reassurances.
My wifi signal is strong, I would not incur an additional charge for wifi as I have home broadband as most others do.
A wifi based system defines the additional charge for data use from the EV manufacturer as zero.
A sim based one does not.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:27 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm This is village idiot economics but let’s go with it and exclude Ohme from your shortlist of chargers that you said repeatedly previously you weren’t going to purchase. What next?
Are you the village idiot who does not understand economics? We can both trade insults, if this is the way you want to go.

A charger based upon a sim card can end up with monthly sim card charges from Ohme.
My router is very close to where my charger would be and the signal would be strong.
And what if your wifi administered smart charger wanted to charge a monthly subscription fee just to stay connected to them with your free WiFi, call it an"admin fee"?

They can all charge a fee if they choose to, no matter how they connect. Lots of people had had issues with scheduled charging to get the overnight rate, with lots of different makes of charger, but Ohme gave managed to do this successfully from the get Go.

To discount them as a choice because they won't guarantee a free connection for petuity when no other manufacturer will either is pretty daft.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I'm not insulting you. You are concerning yourself with costs that you cannot possibly comprehend nor appreciate because you have no visibility whatsoever into them. That there will be an extra charge seems certain; businesses have lots of costs. That the extra charge will be passed onto you directly simply because the cost structure of one business versus another is different is illogical. There are hundreds of examples of this being the case in every form of business.

Hence illogical and village idiot economics. If you choose to retain your opinion then that's fine; you're entitled to it. But you should stop pushing it down other people's throats when they're telling you they don't agree with you. Which I am.
Last edited by Utumno on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:34 pm

And what if your wifi administered smart charger wanted to charge a monthly subscription fee just to stay connected to them with your free WiFi, call it an"admin fee"?

They can all charge a fee if they choose to, no matter how they connect. Lots of people had had issues with scheduled charging to get the overnight rate, with lots of different makes of charger, but Ohme gave managed to do this successfully from the get Go.

To discount them as a choice because they won't guarantee a free connection for petuity when no other manufacturer will either is pretty daft.

Precisely.
Tesla Model Y Long Range