Online mode

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
canrage

Post by canrage »

I’ve had my new ID3 for 24 hours now and first impressions are really good. The dealership did a great job on the handover and I’m getting to grips with my first EV. But I feel a bit creeped out about online mode and VW being able to basically track wherever I go.

I don’t want to sound like a member of the tin hat brigade, but do folk keep their cars in online mode all the time? Scared to turn it off in case I can’t connect again. :?

Tried searching the forum for similar chat but couldn’t find anything so apologies if I’ve missed a post.

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Can’t say I gave it a lot of thought, natural for current generation cars like these to be online, it gets updates to its operating system and apps that way (just like a phone), you communicate with the car from the app that way. These types of services will just keep getting more comprehensive. VW apps have privacy and permissions all over them, wouldn’t be concerned.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

canrage wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:10 pm I’ve had my new ID3 for 24 hours now and first impressions are really good. The dealership did a great job on the handover and I’m getting to grips with my first EV. But I feel a bit creeped out about online mode and VW being able to basically track wherever I go.

I don’t want to sound like a member of the tin hat brigade, but do folk keep their cars in online mode all the time? Scared to turn it off in case I can’t connect again. :?

Tried searching the forum for similar chat but couldn’t find anything so apologies if I’ve missed a post.

You’re worried about being tracked, but you think that by enabling something called “offline mode” you’re disabling the eSIM?

If so, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

If you don’t want to be tracked, don’t buy a vehicle with an eSIM in it. Or a mobile phone.

You’re overthinking it 😀
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
canrage

Post by canrage »

Hahaha! Suspected I might be…!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Yes I leave it online, otherwise none of the features of the app would work.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Still offline today, may be something wrong at the other end.
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

Keep it online, otherwise some features won't work and you wont get the software updates
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger