Automatic Lights

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Anyone else finding the automatic lights too sensitive , 13.45 today a little bit overcast but not dark by any means , no street lights on and no other cars headlights on and on pop mine and can't do anything about it because of the setup , much too sensitive and odds looking at vw
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:09 pm Anyone else finding the automatic lights too sensitive , 13.45 today a little bit overcast but not dark by any means , no street lights on and no other cars headlights on and on pop mine and can't do anything about it because of the setup , much too sensitive and odds looking at vw
I'm only going by my Tiguan as still waiting for my ID 3 but on the Tiguan within the settings you have 3 different light settings for sensitiv.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Newfie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 pm
Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:09 pm Anyone else finding the automatic lights too sensitive , 13.45 today a little bit overcast but not dark by any means , no street lights on and no other cars headlights on and on pop mine and can't do anything about it because of the setup , much too sensitive and odds looking at vw
I'm only going by my Tiguan as still waiting for my ID 3 but on the Tiguan within the settings you have 3 different light settings for sensitiv.
Never found anything similar but if anyone can tell me how I'd be more than grateful , mind you I've had 2 Tiguans and never noticed that setting so what do i know
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Found this in the latest available online manual, may be out of date now of course:

Automatic headlights
When the automatic headlights function is switched on, the vehicle lighting and the instrument and switch lighting will switch on under the following conditions.
—The light sensor has detected darkness.
— The windscreen wipers have been switched on for an extended period.
When the lights are switched on, the indicator lamp lights up yellow.
The automatic headlights function is merely an aid and will not always be able to detect all driving situations.
In vehicles with a corresponding equipment level, the switch-on time of the automatic headlights can be set in the vehicle settings in the Infotainment system (→ Vehicle settings menu) .

There is also a note to the effect that the light sensor may be fooled if the area in front of the light sensor is not clean.

My EGolf auto lights are quite sensitive too but it also has running lights. I am no longer surprised at how sensitive they are TBH. In my experience while my lights might come on earlier than others, I usually note other lights on other vehicles shortly thereafter.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a late setting that isn't particularly late in putting the lights on, but why sweat it? Do you think that the amount of drain those LED lights are putting out will have much affect on your range? If they're pulling 100w an hour on a 3 hour motorway journey you're looking at 0.5% , or a little more than that on a series of shorter journeys but well under 1%.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Out of interest, why does it bother you?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I just don't see the point of riding round with the headlights switched on in the middle of the day , I've had Volkswagens for years and the id3 is sensitive to the extreme , its now 2 hours later and the street lights still aren't on ☀️☀️
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm I just don't see the point of riding round with the headlights switched on in the middle of the day , I've had Volkswagens for years and the id3 is sensitive to the extreme , its now 2 hours later and the street lights still aren't on ☀️☀️
Personally I wouldn’t worry about it. There are so many vehicles running around with their fog lights permanently on, you won’t look daft.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm , I've had Volkswagens for years and the id3 is sensitive to the extreme , its now 2 hours later and the street lights still aren't on ☀️☀️
I'd have to disagree with you there - VW auto lights always kick in very early, even when set to late or high transparency (as the early adjustments were)

I've had 2 MK5 Golfs, 2 Sciroccos, 2 MK7 Golf's and 2 MK6 Polo's (and a few Audis) all with auto lights fitted as standard.

It's really not unusual for those cars to put the dipped lights an hour earlier than the start of sunset on a cloudless day, and much earlier on a cloudier one.

If there was a noticeable dran on the batteries for having them on, I'd perhaps sympathise, but at 0.5-1%, it's a non issue.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Seems fine to me. Coming from a a Volvo though 😁
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:30 pm
Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm , I've had Volkswagens for years and the id3 is sensitive to the extreme , its now 2 hours later and the street lights still aren't on ☀️☀️
I'd have to disagree with you there - VW auto lights always kick in very early, even when set to late or high transparency (as the early adjustments were)

I've had 2 MK5 Golfs, 2 Sciroccos, 2 MK7 Golf's and 2 MK6 Polo's (and a few Audis) all with auto lights fitted as standard.

It's really not unusual for those cars to put the dipped lights an hour earlier than the start of sunset on a cloudless day, and much earlier on a cloudier one.

If there was a noticeable dran on the batteries for having them on, I'd perhaps sympathise, but at 0.5-1%, it's a non issue.
I've had 4 polos,5 golfs,1 Jetta and 2 Tiguans plus others so Trumps , i,didn't want to start huge discussion just wanted to know if i could change it , it appears you can't so end of discussion , thanks all
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I can’t remember if there is a setting, if there is it will be in Vehicle > Vehicle
mish

Post by mish »

Better too early than too late. For a "nordic" country there are far too many cars driving around in winter / heavy rain stealth mode during twilight hours. Interesting to compare: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi ... ng-daytime.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm
I've had 4 polos,5 golfs,1 Jetta and 2 Tiguans plus others so Trumps , i,didn't want to start huge discussion just wanted to know if i could change it , it appears you can't so end of discussion , thanks all
Presumably you have set your lights to "late" already? If not, you will see an improvement, but not a huge one.

Look under "vehicle" where you see the graphical visuals of the car on the exterior options. Under lights, you can set them to come on late. You'll be set to early or normal by default.

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:10 pm
Presumably you have set your lights to "late" already? If not, you will see an improvement, but not a huge one.

Look under "vehicle" where you see the graphical visuals of the car on the exterior options. Under lights, you can set them to come on late. You'll be set to early or normal by default.
Thanks will try that tomorrow
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:35 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks will try that tomorrow
Had a look and it's already set to late, just have to come to terms that my idea of late is totally different to Volkswagens
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 am just have to come to terms that my idea of late is totally different to Volkswagens

I feel I can speak for everyone who is waiting for their vehicles in agreeing with you that VW’s definition of ‘late’ is totally different from ours too 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Still waiting for my ID.3. However on my 2019 SEAT Ateca I have my automatic lights on the least sensitive setting. Overall pretty happy with when they come on (normally prolonged driving with the wipers on or about an hour before lighting up time). Great for motorway sections involving tunnels.
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Utumno wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:32 am
Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 am just have to come to terms that my idea of late is totally different to Volkswagens

I feel I can speak for everyone who is waiting for their vehicles in agreeing with you that VW’s definition of ‘late’ is totally different from ours too 😂
Truth
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

I agree, the lights on my ID3 come on a lot earlier than with my previous three Golfs but it doesn't really bother me
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger