Insurance compared to ICE cars?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Moog

Post by Moog »

Hi All - New here as only ordered my ID3 this week, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I was wondering how folks have found their insurance premiums when switching a policy to an ID3 from a similar class ICE car? Have they gone up, stayed the same, or gone down?

We are trading our mid-range Mk7 Golf for the ID3, so just wondering what to expect, assuming when it arrives we’ll be part-way through a year so will switch on that policy and then hunt around for best deals on the next year.

Any insights / experiences?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (204ps/58kWh) in Makena Turquoise, 19” Andoya, Sport pack, Infotainment+, heat-pump, bi-colour silver, Bike Hitch.
Ordered 15 Nov 21 (wk46/21)
Finally built wk9/23 & collected wk16!
17 months + 2days!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mid range Golf to what? Pro(145/150ps) or Pro Performance (204ps)?

I've generally been in VW hot hatches for years and found them very competitive to insure despite the performance, if ACC is fitted as standard. On that consideration, and the fact that the ID3 is loaded with tech that the insurance companies love for mitigation of crash risk, the ID3 was about the same to insure as my Polo GTI+ and cheaper than my A4 Avant 40TDI Quattro. Insurance company competitiveness changes around the country, but for me, Admiral were the cheapest, coming out around £280 with full NCD, NCD protected, 10k miles a year in a low risk area and 45 years old.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

My wife found that her insurance coming from a Skoda Karoq was basically the same. Insurance is very much based on driver rather than car so I would doubt you will see much difference.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Mine is a lot cheaper, in spite of the current value of my ID.3 being 7-8 times that of my previous ICE car.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

The only additional cost for me was the ‘standard’ (?) changing of documentation part way through the insurance period. Approx. £30. Given the difference in price of my old vehicle (13 years old, worth less than £2k) and that of the ID.3, I was very surprised. I expected my insurance to be much higher.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:08 pm Mine is a lot cheaper, in spite of the current value of my ID.3 being 7-8 times that of my previous ICE car.
It's all about the perceived safety and crash prevention of the newer tech, especially ACC.

When I swapped out my Scirocco 170TDI (no ACC option) for my 2013 MK7 GTD (marginally up on power but performance figures pretty much the same), my insurance dropped by a third. No big age or NCD thresholds crossed, no other major factor for such a big drop.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Moog

Post by Moog »

Thanks all - that’s all very helpful. I know from years of flitting between various GTi’s, Cupra FR, Passat estate, and our current Golf GT 2.0 TDi that prices can jump around and not necessarily how you would expect. A lot of variation is due to vehicle risk which I can see the ACC minimises, but also the potential repair costs is a factor. I wasn’t sure how the ID3 slotted into this mix, but it seems it’s not likely to be a concern.

Our current Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDi is a group 17E, a Mk8 GTi is group 28E, and an ID3 Family Pro-Perf is 29E, hence the reason for my question. However it seems it is likely not as clear cut as the insurance group alone. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Even if it doubled it’s still not much so I’m not worried, just interested to know what to expect.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (204ps/58kWh) in Makena Turquoise, 19” Andoya, Sport pack, Infotainment+, heat-pump, bi-colour silver, Bike Hitch.
Ordered 15 Nov 21 (wk46/21)
Finally built wk9/23 & collected wk16!
17 months + 2days!
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

Mine went up about 60% from a Golf Mk 7 122 psi. It went up about 300% from the company I was with so I changed companies. The excuse was they were nervous about costs of damage in an accident as they didn't have any data. At 204 psi, it's also a lot more powerful than the Golf of course.
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Always hard to compare but it was at fully comp about 200 pounds less than my A4 2.0 TFSI was in 2018 on 2rd party fire and theft.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)