Creaking from Panoramic Roof

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Hi all,

We have a Family model that has now done 5000 miles. Loving the car and so far it has been pretty faultless (barring the usual ID3 niggles in software, etc).

We are especially pleased with the build quality of the car, it being silent over all surfaces in terms of creaks and rattles. However, just recently I have noticed that the panoramic roof appears to be making a creaking sound, like the roof is somehow moving independently of the structure of the car. It has never done this before, and is loud enough that passengers notice it as well. It does this whether the shade is open or closed and is more pronounced over poor surfaces suggesting to me that something is moving when it shouldn't be. I can't see any obvious signs of movement from the glass but I am wondering if the bonded glass is coming away from the metal somehow.

Does anyone else have this issue, or has had it?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104

Tom Dickan-Harry

Post by Tom Dickan-Harry »

I continue to have a creak but from the top of the dash around the HUD. It's been to the dealer twice and they've stripped down the area, added extra padding and eventually installed a new dash. Each time it has come home and within a few days the creak is back. I'm debating whether to send it for a second opinion at a different dealer.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Just had mine replaced under warranty, there were bubbles in the laminate layer between the two pieces of glass. Two day job, most of the interior comes out before the roof can be accessed.
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

i have noticed a very very slight creak at low speed from the pano roof when reversing on my driveway with the radio off, passengers havent noticed it but i will keep an eye on it and get it booked in for a inspection if it gets worse over time
jhg

Post by jhg »

Tom Dickan-Harry wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 am I continue to have a creak but from the top of the dash around the HUD. It's been to the dealer twice and they've stripped down the area, added extra padding and eventually installed a new dash. Each time it has come home and within a few days the creak is back. I'm debating whether to send it for a second opinion at a different dealer.
I also have a creaking noise in the area of the dash around the HUD. Mentioned it to the service department when the car was in the workshop recently and they claimed to have fixed it, but it's still there.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
Lundqvist_Zed

Post by Lundqvist_Zed »

When I searched this topic I didn't get a hit on this at first. Mine started creaking on the 5th of November. Quite noticeable. I have three areas around the permitter that creak when pressure is applied.
Not a happy bunny.
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

I thought about this yesterday when my Family had been making funny noises. Then I realised one of the back seats was not secured properly... So I cleared my problem myself.

But everyone who has had other cars knows they all creak. On my 2011 Touran I put a finger on the top edge of the drivers door where I could feel the movement compared to the door frame and drive at low speed over a curb. I could easily feel the movement. The cure for these creaks is to put some lubricant on the door rubbers. VW make a silicone based spray which also stops the rubber going hard and freezing to door to the frame in cold, wet weather.

Seems to me that the roof of any ID3 is a calculated part of the car's resistance to twisting, and I believe it is glued in place, so IMHO really unlikely to creak. I wonder if the sunshade could be the culprit?
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
Zinnenfries

Post by Zinnenfries »

Hey guys

The creaking is from the placeholder foam under the glass roof. It is a recognized issue from vw and they will try to fix it vis inserting silicone lubricant. There is a TPI technical product information of vw about it. My Id hst the same issue and it got 80% resolved.

It is in German but you will get the idea.

Cheers!
TPI2063190_1.pdf
(370.78 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Ah, thanks for the heads up. It does annoy me I have to say as the rest of the car is so rattle and creak free.

I will say though that I am not entirely happy at allowing the local VW dealership and their 'fully trained technicians' to do what is illustrated in the TPI. Did yo have yours done at your local dealer?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
BOF.

Post by BOF. »

Have the same issue, had the TPI completed by the dealer, but the creaking has come back, it’s present when it’s dry, cold weather, never when it’s wet! The dealer has advised they need the car back as the factory have advised that any they pumped with lubricant it resolved the issue, so car going back to the dealer to consult with factory to resolve the issue. It’s after getting really noticeable and irritating…