Information on 3.0

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’ve been given some information about the next round of updates that I thought was worth sharing:

- 3.0 software will be rolled out in Q1 of 2022
- 3.0 will be an OTA update
- There will be a 2.4 version which will be a pre-requisite for 3.0
- 2.4 will need to be installed at a dealer
- 2.3 will be a pre-requisite for 2.4

No news yet about the service campaign previously mentioned in VW’s own Facebook group (new 12V battery etc), I hope they combine that with the 2.4 installations!

That’s as much as I was told, so don’t ask me any questions 😂

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I know you said no questions, so this one is just generally to the world (no point letting the thread die right?)...as a (hopefully!) new owner early in Q1, the obvious question for me is whether new cars delivered in the near future are also going to need a 2.4 update at the dealer, or whether they will come with it installed already. Also obviously interested what is in it. Maybe this aligns with the note in that link just posted on the other thread, where it said new cars from December 2021 could do battery heating while plugged in...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:48 am the obvious question for me is whether new cars delivered in the near future are also going to need a 2.4 update at the dealer, or whether they will come with it installed already.
My dealer says

It appears that from speaking to Volkswagen, anything built in the new year will have the latest software/systems on board including the 3.0 software
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

That dealer-only 2.4 is a bummer. I thought I’d escaped doing long trips to the dealer just for software updates as my car was factory 2.3.

It’s hard enough getting the car in to them as it is, let alone with everyone needing to book in for updates.

My car came with a scratch on the interior A pillar trim. I picked it up on 23/09 and it still isn’t right. They finally got it in to replace the trim on 19/11, but in doing so buggered one of the clips. It’s booked in for middle of next week for them to replace the clip. That means my car will have done 105 miles going to the dealer and back and taken just shy of 3 months to fix something they should have picked up at PDI.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Great, so as predicted, if your car hasn't got 2.3 at this point, tough, Everything so far has been a fix forwards approach there has been nothing positive for the dumb idiots who bought the car early.
VW UK Customer Services won't get involved, We Connect are clueless and can't fix it and neither will authorise a dealer to install it, so tough.. Beta car anyone?, seriously need to think about cutting my losses and selling mine before the early cars are worthless.
Deleted User 192

sidehaas wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:48 am I know you said no questions, so this one is just generally to the world (no point letting the thread die right?)...as a (hopefully!) new owner early in Q1, the obvious question for me is whether new cars delivered in the near future are also going to need a 2.4 update at the dealer, or whether they will come with it installed already. Also obviously interested what is in it. Maybe this aligns with the note in that link just posted on the other thread, where it said new cars from December 2021 could do battery heating while plugged in...
A document about MY22.5 that was sent to UK dealers stated that 3.0 would be pre-installed on cars of that spec.
Deleted User 192

Daesimpso wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:28 am That dealer-only 2.4 is a bummer. I thought I’d escaped doing long trips to the dealer just for software updates as my car was factory 2.3.

Mine went back to the dealer for:

0564 > 0570
0570 > 0783 (2.0)
0783 > 0792 (2.1)

So I was delighted to get 0910 (2.3) OTA, and I understand 2.4 includes updating firmware of more control units which are currently not OTA-compatible to increase the amount they can do OTA from 3.0 onwards.
Deleted User 192

G43FAN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:34 am Everything so far has been a fix forwards approach there has been nothing positive for the dumb idiots who bought the car early.

This dumb idiot has had his car for 14 months already and it started on the initial 0564 software, and it's been on 0910 (2.3) since August.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 pm I’ve been given some information about the next round of updates that I thought was worth sharing:

- 3.0 software will be rolled out in Q1 of 2022
- 3.0 will be an OTA update
- There will be a 2.4 version which will be a pre-requisite for 3.0
- 2.4 will need to be installed at a dealer

No news yet about the service campaign previously mentioned in VW’s own Facebook group (new 12V battery etc), I hope they combine that with the 2.4 installations!

That’s as much as I was told, so don’t ask me any questions 😂
Good info, thank you. Our dealer is quite proactive, so if I learn anything extra I'll add to this post.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 am
G43FAN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:34 am Everything so far has been a fix forwards approach there has been nothing positive for the dumb idiots who bought the car early.

This dumb idiot has had his car for 14 months already and it started on the initial 0564 software, and it's been on 0910 (2.3) since August.
Some people are starving in the world, some people aren't should the starving take comfort that the others aren't in the same boat?

The dumb idiot comment isn't aimed at individuals other than myself for ending up in this situation and putting up with the abysmal attitude to this from We-connect and VW UK of.. "You've bought it put up with it we don't care" - Oh but if you buy another one look at all the shiny improvements we've put in ..
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 pm - 2.4 will need to be installed at a dealer
Just the situation I was hoping to avoid.
I'm 115 miles and two ferry journeys away from my nearest dealership ...
Hey, ho - another long day out - hope it doesn't involve an overnight stay at a hotel as well!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:10 am
sidehaas wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:48 am I know you said no questions, so this one is just generally to the world (no point letting the thread die right?)...as a (hopefully!) new owner early in Q1, the obvious question for me is whether new cars delivered in the near future are also going to need a 2.4 update at the dealer, or whether they will come with it installed already. Also obviously interested what is in it. Maybe this aligns with the note in that link just posted on the other thread, where it said new cars from December 2021 could do battery heating while plugged in...
A document about MY22.5 that was sent to UK dealers stated that 3.0 would be pre-installed on cars of that spec.
If it's the document shared on here and speakev previously, what it said was that the latest software would come on cars ordered from 01/12. They won't actually be delivered until next summer most likely. It said those ordered earlier but built from 21/12 would be delivered with the new materials inside but not with the updated assistance pack (parking) or with 3.0.
Based on info to date about my22.5 and 3.0 I'm definitely not expecting my car to arrive in January or February with 3.0 but it would be nice if it came with 2.4...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

I wouldn't mark it as "fact" yet, but my dealer thinks it will

viewtopic.php?p=15793#p15793
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

[/quote]

Some people are starving in the world, some people aren't should the starving take comfort that the others aren't in the same boat?

The dumb idiot comment isn't aimed at individuals other than myself for ending up in this situation and putting up with the abysmal attitude to this from We-connect and VW UK of.. "You've bought it put up with it we don't care" - Oh but if you buy another one look at all the shiny improvements we've put in ..
[/quote]
I'll be the first to admit that the SW update process is rubbish and I have previously stated that it is one of the most broken processes I have ever witnessed in more than 40 years in high tech industries. But VW are being very fair to existing owners. Part of the 2.4 update will require a visit to the dealers so they can bring some of the hardware/firmware up to a later revision so we can also get future functionality. So rather than leave us early adopters out in the cold, they are spending a lot of money to keep us on the journey. Although the cynic in me thinks they probably have an ulterior motive...
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Splitty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:16 pm
I'll be the first to admit that the SW update process is rubbish and I have previously stated that it is one of the most broken processes I have ever witnessed in more than 40 years in high tech industries. But VW are being very fair to existing owners. Part of the 2.4 update will require a visit to the dealers so they can bring some of the hardware/firmware up to a later revision so we can also get future functionality. So rather than leave us early adopters out in the cold, they are spending a lot of money to keep us on the journey. Although the cynic in me thinks they probably have an ulterior motive...
Very Fair? I hardly call it fair, they have an obligation to sort it out, My car is a January build delivered in March, not a 1st edition but I suppose early but then still only 9 months old. There are supposed to be another 2yrs and 3 months of updates provided. Whatever update 2.4 does it will be fixing the cars that aren't updating, not providing hardware so we can gain future functionality (unless that is chargeable).

All of these updates are considered recalls (VW Dealers words not mine) not some VW benevolence for those of us with old broken cars. We Connect have actually this afternoon now admitted that my car will not get any updates until it has been to my 'service partner' so as I said suggesting to me that 2.4 is about fixing the OTA hardware not providing new function.
Deleted User 192

2.4 enables OTA update capability to more of the many control units around the car, thus making it more likely in the future to gain more updates without a dealer visit - kind of ironic, but true.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:20 pm Very Fair? I hardly call it fair, they have an obligation to sort it out, My car is a January build delivered in March, not a 1st edition but I suppose early but then still only 9 months old. There are supposed to be another 2yrs and 3 months of updates provided. Whatever update 2.4 does it will be fixing the cars that aren't updating, not providing hardware so we can gain future functionality (unless that is chargeable).
I can tell you are not happy with the situation ( :ugeek: ) and my car is even older than yours, (Dec 20). While I expected software updates, VW could have just left us with a 2.4 update that added the functionality needed for when 3.0 comes but without the necessary hardware support leaving us on a separate track to the cars coming with MY22.5 hardware, hence my "fair" comment. We really don't know yet what 2.4 or 3.0 will bring. Lots of rumors that MY22.5 cars will have V2G capability like the ID5, but I know we won't get that.
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:34 am Oh but if you buy another one look at all the shiny improvements we've put in ..
And don’t necessarily expect delivery much before mid to late 2023 even if you do….. first world problems and all that….
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 pm - 2.4 will need to be installed at a dealer
Rocks back and forth in a semi-catatonic state, crying softly to himself.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Splitty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 pm
G43FAN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:20 pm Very Fair? I hardly call it fair, they have an obligation to sort it out, My car is a January build delivered in March, not a 1st edition but I suppose early but then still only 9 months old. There are supposed to be another 2yrs and 3 months of updates provided. Whatever update 2.4 does it will be fixing the cars that aren't updating, not providing hardware so we can gain future functionality (unless that is chargeable).
I can tell you are not happy with the situation ( :ugeek: ) and my car is even older than yours, (Dec 20). While I expected software updates, VW could have just left us with a 2.4 update that added the functionality needed for when 3.0 comes but without the necessary hardware support leaving us on a separate track to the cars coming with MY22.5 hardware, hence my "fair" comment. We really don't know yet what 2.4 or 3.0 will bring. Lots of rumors that MY22.5 cars will have V2G capability like the ID5, but I know we won't get that.
There's no information at all about what 2.4 does any extra functionality above original spec is nothing more than speculation. Until VW provide details officially we don't know that it's going to allow lots of new unadvertised function..

All I see here is VW finally acknowledging (potentially only just understanding fully) the issue with the existing OTA updates, it's not like I am the only one with major update gripes. I wouldn't be surprised if 2.4 was a vehicle specific recall. to fix the OTA update process which VW have to provide as most of the outstanding long term issues aren't addressed until 3.0 is rolled out. Although stating 2.3 is a requirement kind of negates that theory.

I am unhappy yes, I am not sure why you think I should be happy that VW are willing to fix a car that has problems and does not work as advertised. Unfortunately it now appears that I will have to take my car to the dealership for 2.3.. and then again shortly (or maybe a few weeks/months) after for 2.4 and given VWs performance so far.. I imagine Easter 2022 my car will be back at the dealers yet again getting an update.
Speculate all you like about the wonderful extra features VW are trying to give you. I have seen nothing other than a track towards 3.0 which is required to fix the many issues the car has and as far as I am concerned I am entitled to expect VW to provide that on a car that has never worked to it's advertised spec from new.