Bi directional charging on 77kW models

The place to discuss everything else..
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

There are several interesting snippets of information in here about WE Charge, Bi directional charging etc

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... odels-7695
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Interesting, the article appears to state that 77kWh models already have the bidirectional hardware necessary installed in the car, including all 77kWh models already shipped. I wasn’t aware this was the case.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If we're in a position where we need to give back our car's charge at peak times then our national grid is truly screwed.

Might be useful for caravanners/campers to use some of that power out and about if they don't need the range.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

Interesting timing.

Only yesterday I was talking to a colleague about a home battery system that I could charge overnight at 5p per KWh and use during the day when electricity is 24p.

I was saying it seemed weird to pay thousands for a 10KWh battery system when I have a 77 KWh one sat on the driveway for most of the time.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:52 am If we're in a position where we need to give back our car's charge at peak times then our national grid is truly screwed.

Might be useful for caravanners/campers to use some of that power out and about if they don't need the range.
V2H is more relevant. Charge at night on a cheap tariff or at lunchtime from solar for free, supply the home from the car during the day/evening/morning hours.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daesimpso wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 am Interesting timing.

Only yesterday I was talking to a colleague about a home battery system that I could charge overnight at 5p per KWh and use during the day when electricity is 24p.

I was saying it seemed weird to pay thousands for a 10KWh battery system when I have a 77 KWh one sat on the driveway for most of the time.
You'd have to weigh up the savings vs the extra hammering of the car's battery and whether that is going to impact the car's worth. Doing this could mean the difference between charging every 3 or 4 days to doing it every night.

It's only worth doing while we have those 5p per kWh charging windows. If we all start doing this, off peak is going to become the new peak and it won'tbe 5p per kWh any more.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

TBH, if you do V2H, rather than V2G, which I consider to be a very weak value proposition, you could probably keep the battery from being hammered. Your daily use at home is what? 10-15kWh? So about 20% on a Tour or 30% on a Life battery. You could easily establish a healthy battery regime that keeps it fluctuating between 35 and 75% SoC. I don't think that would have a detrimental impact on it as it is all AC operation.

Point on peak shifting is valid, but you need many years of EV penetration before that becomes an issue.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:56 am
It's only worth doing while we have those 5p per kWh charging windows. If we all start doing this, off peak is going to become the new peak and it won'tbe 5p per kWh any more.
Even more reason to use the car I’ve already paid for and not fork out on a battery system. Make hay whilst the sun shines
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:52 am If we're in a position where we need to give back our car's charge at peak times then our national grid is truly screwed.

Ah, to be clear, I consider V2G to be an utterly useless technology. It only works at scale, and by the time you’ve reached the scale to make it work, you must have already solved the problem it was trying to solve.

V2H is a much more compelling use case in my humble.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Utumno wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Ah, to be clear, I consider V2G to be an utterly useless technology. It only works at scale, and by the time you’ve reached the scale to make it work, you must have already solved the problem it was trying to solve.

V2H is a much more compelling use case in my humble.
It was V2H that caught my attention as we are looking at domestic battery installation right now. I find the idea of using some of the 77kW battery to save money on domestic electricity bills quite appealing as we are an all electric house with a heat pump. Imagining today, I was out this morning but I am home working in the office this afternoon so that car could easily be plugged in using 5p/kW Go electricity from last night to power the heat pump now, and then charge up again over night.

If you have V2H you won't need V2G.
Ordered 21.8.21
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Does anyone know why the functionality isn't seemingly being provided for 58kwh models?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:10 pm Does anyone know why the functionality isn't seemingly being provided for 58kwh models?

I can only guess that the hardware hasn’t been fitted to the 58kWh models - you typically need more complex and costly hardware in the car inverter for V2H.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Just me that finds this an odd statement " At the heart of the Way to ZERO decarbonisation programme is the "

Sounds like they are heading for Zero decarbonisation?

Any thoughts on this? "There is also a new Battery Care Mode that ensures maximum protection of the battery. This restricts the upper charge level (SOC) to 80 percent." OK.. by that I mean, my thought being, the data they have collected is not favourable towards charging over 100%?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:29 pm Just me that finds this an odd statement " At the heart of the Way to ZERO decarbonisation programme is the "

Any thoughts on this? "There is also a new Battery Care Mode that ensures maximum protection of the battery. This restricts the upper charge level (SOC) to 80 percent." OK.. by that I mean, my thought being, the data they have collected is not favourable towards charging over 100%?

VW’s decarbonisation programme is called “Way to ZERO”.

How would a battery charge to over 100%?
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Splitty

Post by Splitty »

If you have a Tesla power wall and solar, Octopus offer a Tesla plan which is about £0.11 per KWh for export and import. Tesla operate the batteries and octopus administer it. Tesla warrant the battery will retain 70% capacity after 10 years. Sounds like VW want to get into the energy business as well.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Utumno wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 pm
G43FAN wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:29 pm Just me that finds this an odd statement " At the heart of the Way to ZERO decarbonisation programme is the "

Yes I get the name is Way to Zero and as you have put it in quotes, I felt they should have also.. not everyone reading would understand it was what they're program was called.. or maybe they would?

Should have said over 80% or to 100%
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:07 am
Utumno wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 pm

Yes I get the name is Way to Zero and as you have put it in quotes, I felt they should have also.. not everyone reading would understand it was what they're program was called.. or maybe they would?

Should have said over 80% or to 100%
Possibly lost in translation from German. UK media tend to use the Economist Style Guide but perhaps German use of quotation marks is different...The did use caps to signify a name/naming
Ordered 21.8.21