Built in Satnav vs Apple/Google Maps

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I used to do that on CarPlay but they “fixed it”, good to know it still works like than on Android, I’ll start using my Android phone instead of my iPhone.

MattP

Post by MattP »

Does Google or Waze include on route charging suggestions ?
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I wish the built-in nav could actually find places, either by text or voice search.

Because it’s so crap, I use Apple Maps via CarPlay - I’ve gone right off Waze, and it makes more sense for me to use Apple Maps over Google Maps for the better car display integration via CarPlay.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

"have found a way to combine this with the built in nav so I get a satetllite view in the main display which I prefer"

Go on, let the cat out of the bag. Sounds interesting. How do you do that?
Ordered 11 Jan 22,
Order number 3159****
Family pro performance , Kings Red, assist pk plus, Derry.
build history:
Aug22 Code 20, build week of 46
mid Oct 22 Code 20, week 16
mid Dec 22 Code 10, week 12
19 Dec 22 Code 10, week 10
26 April 2023, delivered
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

MattP wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:37 pm Does Google or Waze include on route charging suggestions ?
I saw this on a beta in the US I think it was. Apple maps shows charging stations but doesn’t route.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Anduain wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:32 pm
MattP wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:37 pm Does Google or Waze include on route charging suggestions ?
I saw this on a beta in the US I think it was. Apple maps shows charging stations but doesn’t route.
If you click on services in Google maps it will list all EV chargepoints nearby and you can navigate to one but it doesn't make routing suggestions. Be great if it did. You can ask Google for electric vehicle charge points as well and that can be quite useful if you are stuck and driving alone. Saved me from embarrassment once!
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
vsmith1

Post by vsmith1 »

I have used a) the in-built b) Apple Maps - via CarPlay c) Google Maps - via CarPlay. All have the advantages and disadvantages:
a) in-built - gets displayed in the id.Light, shows the junctions, turns in the instrument panel (I don't have HUD). Tie in with ACC, adjusting speed for turns, approaching junctions. But search is very poor - it is almost like 20-Questions. Good at multi-stop routes.
b) Apple Maps - shows turns junctions in the instrument panel, Search is great, and using Siri to search if much better than Hello ID, especially when searching for businesses. Not good at showing charging stations. Poor support for multi-stop routes.
c) Google Maps - OK. Nice to set things up on the phone then get in the car and carry it on via CarPlay. Not good at showing charging stations - sometimes have to zoom in to see them.

My wishes to make the in-built a preferred choice - improve search, add What3Words, update, update and update - especially Charging Stations. Make the whole destination transfer via the WeConnect ID app much quicker.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Forgot to mention Waze can be set up to run in the background for “alerts only”. Always very accurate notifying of pot holes, speed cameras, accidents etc. Best feature of Apple maps is it shows the entire journey and gradually zooms in as you get closer to your destination. Yesterday on a 125 mile trip in my ICE car I used Apple maps with Waze alerts on CarPlay.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

rikimaru wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:16 pm Yeah, nice to see that it'll improve with OTA updates but only coming to cars manufactured from 2023 onwards. Do better, please.
Oh in that case, my car might have that function. ;) :o
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
TimF

Post by TimF »

Just a couple of personal comments on the built-in nav.

Search seems to assume that I'm in Germany. I need to enter a LOT of letters before any British locations appear. Also, the location database isn't anywhere near as comprehensive as, say, Google Maps.

Routing seems idiosyncratic. Why add a couple of miles just so that the urban roads used are "major" rather than neither major nor minor? But auto-rerouting generally works fine.
phixion

Post by phixion »

Anyone find the Infotainment system just slow in general?

Apple CarPlay is very slow, I even bought a USB-C cable hoping it would be faster but it still seems sluggish. Not sure if it's my ancient iPhone or just the system in general... It was a lot faster in my 68 plate Golf.

Changing track sometimes takes ages, previous track is very slow. Sometimes it seems to just disconnect my phone completely, sometimes when I change track I still see the old track info on the screen.

Very disappointing, I'm hoping it is something they can improve with firmware updates.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There's a setting somewhere in the system to do with searching for Wifi have you turned this off?
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I find Android Auto faultless, wifi connected, not tried a cable.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I've used it a few times but gave up when it kept trying to send me by weird routes in places I knew. The routing options are limited. So I use Waze instead, on my phone, properly dash-mounted. It's free, better in most respects, and gets live feedback from other Waze users.

I still find the nav map display useful as it gives me a good overview - I keep it north-up because that's how I prefer my maps. Waze is oriented to my direction of travel.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Can't you use waze via android auto though?
nfiner

Post by nfiner »

Built in fails in its primary function - navigation, so however good the display and turn indicators it is unreliable it tries to direct you down a footpath, does not recognise where a (now permanent) road closure is sited - so again misdirects. No method for notifying of mapping errors. Waze far superior.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

To give a positive perspective - I used the in car nav today for the first time and thought the visual display, turn indications and so on were brilliant. Better than android auto. The route it worked out was also perfect, but I confess I did double check that it wasn't doing something stupid before I set off using Google maps on my phone. The only downside was that it wouldn't let me select a specific point on a road as the destination by pressing the map - I had to input a named location. Does anyone know if it's somehow possible to just route to a point location on the map? (Edit - I just looked at the manual and it says you can do this just by pressing on the map, but that didn't seem to get a response for me this morning.)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

nfiner wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:21 pm Built in fails in its primary function - navigation, so however good the display and turn indicators it is unreliable it tries to direct you down a footpath, does not recognise where a (now permanent) road closure is sited - so again misdirects. No method for notifying of mapping errors. Waze far superior.
For balance, I have used Sat Nav's for the last 20+ years, my first being an Ipaq running Tom Tom connected to an Etrex via a home made serial cable. All Sat Navs have issues, I have never been sent down a footpath by VW sat nav so don't believe it always does this but I have been offered a 200 mile detour to avoid a 15 minute traffic queue in Belgium in my Tiguan, It's an assistance tool and needs to be treated as such.
As for Waze it's no better then any other and the traffic data is horribly slow in some areas of the country.

Assuming you mean mapping errors and not routing errors these can be highlighted via the web page https://mapcreator.here.com/ If there's a footpath designated as a road you can submit an update.
smartsavvy

Post by smartsavvy »

Is anyone finding VW sat nav re sets and looks like I am off road several times on a longer journey?
It can take a few minutes to revert back to my route.
Sometimes it even slams on my brakes as it thinks I am in a 30 mile zone when I am on the motorway and doing 70!!
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

So far I’ve found it is okay. The only strong negative is trying to set it on the go using voice command. It wants more and more details and so I’ve always had to set it with the touch screen.

If you said you want to go to somewhere (say Minehead) it asks what street, then what house number and I’m. Half expecting it to ask what floor then what room! I can’t figure out how to go to a general area but it’s easy on the screen.

Once it’s actually set it seems ok so far other than the odd decision about which road to take.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L