api compatible wall chargers ?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Whilst in the process of home researching wall chargers for the ID.3 I came across OHME chargers.
OHME seemed to be a good choice as they appear to be future-proof with Octopus tariffs and any future energy advances that Octopus may make.

However...

I asked a question about communication compatibility with the ID.3 and it looks as though the most useful element is missing, API compatibility.
I got this reply

"So without the API, the charger will always assume battery is at 0% upon plugging in. This means that if you still have 20% charge left, and want the car to charge to 80%, you'd set a schedule to add 60%. The charger would then calculate when to start charging in order to reach this target by the set end time. "

That is not ideal....

Ideally I want to come home, plug in, and know that the charger itself will automatically:-
1) detect state of charge
2) initiate the charge
3) finish charging to my preferred set limit (probably 80%)

All ideally controlled via an app.

So, which chargers work this way with the ID.3 ?

bazmac

Post by bazmac »

I have an INDRA pro at home and it seem to all the things you are looking for, and has been pretty reliable since we had it installed.
58k Pro Performance
Glacier white
East derrys
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Why would you not just set the car to 80% charge via the App or in car? Am I missing something?
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Anduain wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am Why would you not just set the car to 80% charge via the App or in car? Am I missing something?
according to OHME themselves - OHME chargers always assume the car (if they dont have the API for that model) is 0% as they have not worked out how to talk to the ID.3 to find out the battery level automatically.
So, the only way to ensure the car is charged to say 80% is to work out the % of charge wanted manually and input that into the car/allow the car to control charging.
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

itsjon wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am Whilst in the process of home researching wall chargers for the ID.3 I came across OHME chargers.
OHME seemed to be a good choice as they appear to be future-proof with Octopus tariffs and any future energy advances that Octopus may make.

However...

I asked a question about communication compatibility with the ID.3 and it looks as though the most useful element is missing, API compatibility.
I got this reply

"So without the API, the charger will always assume battery is at 0% upon plugging in. This means that if you still have 20% charge left, and want the car to charge to 80%, you'd set a schedule to add 60%. The charger would then calculate when to start charging in order to reach this target by the set end time. "

That is not ideal....

Ideally I want to come home, plug in, and know that the charger itself will automatically:-
2) initiate the charge

I don't think the problem is with Ohme but with VW who have not exposed the API.

I have an Ohme and have it programmed to add 80% charge by 8:00 starting in the Octopus Go optimal time window. The car is set to charge to 80% and as final arbiter will stop the process when it hits that target. This works as you describe your ideal scenario except for detecting the state of charge.

You can override the scheduled charge at any time with the Ohme app and it or WeConnect ID can be used to stop the charge.

Also worth noting, Ohme customer service is very good in my experience which counts for a lot.

Maybe the famous 2.3 software upgrade or a future one will make the API available.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

As above only with the Zappi.. Scheduled to charge every night from 00:30 duration 4 hours. Works no problem and car stops at 80%.
Have tried several times to use the 'Smart' feature to try and charge to a particular percentage by a particular time and despite using all my fingers and toes to work out how many kWs I need it just doesn't work.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

itsjon wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:16 am
according to OHME themselves - OHME chargers always assume the car (if they dont have the API for that model) is 0% as they have not worked out how to talk to the ID.3 to find out the battery level automatically.
So, the only way to ensure the car is charged to say 80% is to work out the % of charge wanted manually and input that into the car/allow the car to control charging.
Oh, that's interesting indeed, useful info.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I bought an OHME granny charger using the Octopus offer and I have attempted to use that to charge in a SMART way but it (to me) seems less intelligent and more confusing to use than the Zappi. The suns out and I have a couple of kW spare solar so I might have another play with the chargers to see what I can get working.
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

I have an EO Mini home charger.
Then as advised here & elsewhere, set my ID3 to 80% max fill, and then set charging on Octopus Go 00:30-04:30 via the scheduled charging on my EO app.
Has worked fine so far.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
bilbo

Post by bilbo »

I have a Hypervolt Home 2 charger.
Then as advised here & elsewhere, set my ID3 to 80% max fill, and then set charging on Octopus Go 00:30-04:30 via the scheduled charging on my Hypervolt app.
Has worked fine so far.
ID.3 Style 150PS Pure Performance, Stonewashed Blue, Derry Wheels + Hypervolt Home 2.0 charger
Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

Like most others, I set the car to do a max charge of 80% and then use my old chargemaster (to which I have added WiFi time control) to charge between 00:30 and 04:30 on Octopus Go. When VW sort out their charging capability on ID I will try that. My Audi used to work perfectly as did my Golf GTE, so VW must know how to make it work....
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Thanks everyone for the heads up.

I was not aware the ID.3 could cap the % as a default setting and stop the charging process itself.
Alanpyle

Post by Alanpyle »

I'm worried, I have to have BP PULSE as I'm a disability owner.Nobody has mentioned them are they not very good?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anduain wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am Why would you not just set the car to 80% charge via the App or in car? Am I missing something?
That is what I do. When I see some of the scheduling and non-charging issues that certain other brands/models have frequently, I'm glad I have an Ohme.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

itsjon wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am Whilst in the process of home researching wall chargers for the ID.3 I came across OHME chargers.

However...

I got this reply

That is not ideal....

2) initiate the charge

There are no API-compatible chargers currently available because there is no VW API. The Elli chargers are most likely to use any API in future as they are part of the VW group.

As soon as an API becomes available I’d expect Ohme to be one of the first adopters of it, given their historical receptiveness and business model.

Although I don’t have an Ohme home charger (I went Andersen in the end) I’d have no qualms installing an Ohme at all, assuming you like the look of it.

Equally I hear good things about Indra, Viridian and Hypervolt chargers. Hypervolt was my second choice for us, but SWMBO preferred the cleanliness of the Andersen on the driveway.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

There *is* a VW API. There's even a Python library to drive it. Not sure why Ohme say they can't use it.

I've been playing with it on my laptop and can successfully read the SoC, turn on the air con, etc. Not as capable as I'd like (doesn't appear to be a way to edit the charging times, etc.) but it does exist.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Alanpyle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:19 pm I'm worried, I have to have BP PULSE as I'm a disability owner.Nobody has mentioned them are they not very good?
This is an older thread specifically around the data available via API. There are many Home charger recommendation threads that mention BP Pulse if you search on BP Pulse or Home charger
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

SteveH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 am There *is* a VW API. There's even a Python library to drive it. Not sure why Ohme say they can't use it.

I've been playing with it on my laptop and can successfully read the SoC, turn on the air con, etc. Not as capable as I'd like (doesn't appear to be a way to edit the charging times, etc.) but it does exist.

It’s not published and is a reverse-engineered open-source effort. Ohme would have to support it to their customers. Far too much work and no guarantee it won’t just disappear or fail at a moment’s notice.

But you’re right; I should have said there’s no supported VW API from VW.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:18 pm
SteveH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 am There *is* a VW API. There's even a Python library to drive it. Not sure why Ohme say they can't use it.

It’s not published and is a reverse-engineered open-source effort. Ohme would have to support it to their customers. Far too much work and no guarantee it won’t just disappear or fail at a moment’s notice.

But you’re right; I should have said there’s no supported VW API from VW.
Interesting stuff! I have an Ohme cable and it has the same (or similar) issue with Stellantis cars as we have an e208 with ID3 on order. To be honest it isn't a problem providing you can look at the % SOC in the app and just ask Ohme to add the required amount to reach 80%. It does overshoot by 2-3% sometimes though. I have got so used to doing this now I'd probably be confused if it started reading the SOC!
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

The real WTF to me is why chargers need an API at all - why isn't stuff like SoC made available to them through the charging cable?!