CCS Not Charging Due to Small Plastic Debris

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Just in case it helps anybody else, if you are failing to charge double check for any debris in the ID3's charge socket grooves.

I was saved by a another ID3 driver on the evening of the 23rd after multiple failures at attempting to charge (Instavolt, Gridserve, Ionity, Instavolt, Instavolt), while coming down the A1.

David spotted the small piece of plastic (5x3mm grey plastic) well hidden deep in the very bottom groove of the CCS charger. I presume it had broken off the first charger I had tried, having found the plastic I felt foolish for having not spotted it when it first happen, in future I will carry a torch to be able to properly examine the socket. Trouble was at each charger other people were having challenges getting a charge, so after thinking I had checked for the obvious I went to try another charger. Like most EV chargers and sockets the small piece of plastic was a similar shade of grey so well camouflaged, so I didn't spot it.

The fault information on the chargers and in the car is not very informative, on all the charger the charger recognised the car, the car went white then flashing white, charger said communicating with car, asked for authentication, then car indicator flashed white, followed by stopping of charge and a receipt for £0 flashing up on the charger and car reporting an error suggesting to try again. Other people charging suggested that the connector needed holding until the charge properly started.

Anyway something to double check for next time charges won't start.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
Thanks for the information, I can only use public chargers and some of the connectors have quite a lot of damage on them so i will keep an eye out in the future
Cheers
David
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car