Charge to 100%

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I realise it's preferred that if you charge to 100% then you should use the car sooner rather than later, but would it be detrimental to leave the car charged at 100% for something like 12 hours.
The reason for asking is that there appears to be some doubt as to whether a scheduled charge set on my Zappi 2 will work or not.
I don't use the car's timers, as I believe they are also unreliable. (don't you just love EV ownership? :? )
Any advice appreciated.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Personally I wouldn't do it unless I had to.

Others will say that the car systems should manage it regardless, that they do it all the time, it hasn't "hurt" their ID.3, they used to do it all the time in their Leaf/i3/etc...

It's like a bingo card kind of question ;-)
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I find that if I set my Zappi 2 to give me four hours on my cheaper overnight tariff, it just works. I've set it up for every day of the week; so whenever I actually plug it in it just works overnight. This is on the Eco++ setting, it does not work like this on other settings. You have to manually work out how much charge you need to give, depending on the final SOC you require. So to answer your question, you can acheive 100%, set on your car, and adjust the number of hours required to acheive that. Then you drive off. There's no need to get the car at 100% that far (12 hours) in advance; and is not good practice when trying to keep a healthy battery.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Raxacorico wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm I find that if I set my Zappi 2 to give me four hours on my cheaper overnight tariff, it just works. I've set it up for every day of the week; so whenever I actually plug it in it just works overnight. This is on the Eco++ setting, it does not work like this on other settings. You have to manually work out how much charge you need to give, depending on the final SOC you require. So to answer your question, you can acheive 100%, set on your car, and adjust the number of hours required to acheive that. Then you drive off. There's no need to get the car at 100% that far (12 hours) in advance; and is not good practice when trying to keep a healthy battery.
All this does confuse me! When setting the scheduled charge (in the Zappi iPhone app), it looks as if that schedule can apply to any of the fast, Eco, or Eco+ modes. How do you know which one it applies to? Or are you setting your times on the Zappi itself?
You stressed in your reply that "you can achieve 100% set on your car". Why have you stressed "set on your car"? It implies (to me) that you use the car's timers.
Sorry to be so thick but this ID3 charging malarky doesn't seem very intuitive, unless you are doing a straightforward immediate charge.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If nothing else you could simply set the max charge level in the car to 100% (which I think is what Raxicoro meant) but then if you don't want to use the Zappi timers, just plug the car in at the right time beforehand (eg, if you need 40kwh to reach 100% and you have a 7kwh charger, then just under 6 hours before you want to leave). Obviously if this is in the early hours of the morning that might be inconvenient. Alternatively if you aren't driving first thing in the morning, you could set it to 80% (or presumably something like 90% is also better than 100%) overnight, then charge the last bit just before leaving in the morning. The last 10% should take less than an hour to add. If you have to get up and leave quickly early in the morning and you need to sleep much longer than the car needs to charge....well then I would look for an opportunity in advance to test out your Zappi charger timings :)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

I agree with that reading. If you leave the ID3 screen on 80% it doesn't matter if you plug it in for 48 hours, the car will not go past 80%. So no matter where you set your schedules, you must set the car to 100%.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

As others have said the setting for the maximum charge needs to be set on the cars screen and this is like 'The One ring' (to rule them all).

Once you have set the max SoC in car preferably as even if the app usually works you don't want this to be that occasion it doesn't play ball.

The Zappi scheduled charging works fine (well mine does) so you have a couple of choices. Are you on a cheap overnight tariff? If so you could set a timed charge to run for long enough to get you to 80-90% then you could have another timed charge (boost) for an hour or so before you leave. This would allow you to also use the car preheat with power being supplied.

For the Zappi (on Android anyway) the scheduled section is under Boost settings and so will charge at maximum rate.

Screenshot_20220113-082040_myenergi.jpg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 am As others have said the setting for the maximum charge needs to be set on the cars screen and this is like 'The One ring' (to rule them all).

Once you have set the max SoC in car preferably as even if the app usually works you don't want this to be that occasion it doesn't play ball.

The Zappi scheduled charging works fine (well mine does) so you have a couple of choices. Are you on a cheap overnight tariff? If so you could set a timed charge to run for long enough to get you to 80-90% then you could have another timed charge (boost) for an hour or so before you leave. This would allow you to also use the car preheat with power being supplied.

For the Zappi (on Android anyway) the scheduled section is under Boost settings and so will charge at maximum rate.
It's good to know that your schedules work and I will try it out when things aren't so imminent. Out of interest, looking at your screenshot, if you were to plug your car in say at 09:00, would it start charging immediately, or would it wait for the next scheduled time?
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am If nothing else you could simply set the max charge level in the car to 100% (which I think is what Raxicoro meant)
Exactly - sorry for the confusion!
I programme the Zappi itself, as I don't have a smartphone - keep it simple.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Because I have the Zappi set to Eco+ it doesn't charge at any time outside the boost times currently.. (If it was summer and I had Excess Solar it would charge assuming it was under 80%)

The schedules at 3 o'clock were me messing around so I could use the prewarm and get the Zappi to provide the power.. downside is if I use the car during the day and plug it back in it will also charge at 15:00 if it is not at 80%

Screenshot_20220113-095817_myenergi.jpg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I know this is an old thread but educate me please, if you would be so kind.
I have used my Zappi to charge to 80% during the cheaper Octopus rate times of 00:30 till 04:30. Been doing this for 18 months.
Is it possible, somehow, to continue to charge this way, but, when needed, get it to charge to 100% shortly before driving the car, with the overnight charge still max set 80%? Or do I need to calculate how much charge I need to achieve 80% overnight, with the max charge set at 100% in the car, and then another charge schedule set to reach the 100%, just before driving?
Thanks for any advice with this.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

If I need to have the car at 100%, for an early start (for instance), then I set the car to 100%, and calculate how many hours I need to charge for.
This may involve an hour or more outside my cheaper tariff. It will of course depend on the SOC before I leave it overnight.
I have been known to give it three cheaper hours the day before, and then a top up to 100% overnight/morning of early start.
Hope that makes sense!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yup if I need 100% I charge up to 90 in my cheap octopus hours - then start another charge to 100 to finish when I plan to leave.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:39 pm Yup if I need 100% I charge up to 90 in my cheap octopus hours - then start another charge to 100 to finish when I plan to leave.
That's what I have always done. You just have to remember to switch the schedule charge off on your charger app and increase the charge level on the Cupra app to 100% so it charges immediately.
10% is circa 5.8kW on mine on the final charge to 100% which will be a bit slower. That's always been less than an hour though and allows time to get ready and leave.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Thanks for your responses.
rawws

Post by rawws »

I have no home charger so i charge to 100% all the time in winter time due to the loss of range maintaining it between 20-80% is almost impossible in winter with the reduced range have not seen an degradation of battery , many source say slow degration overall several years and even charging at 100% its not actually 100% on the batter soc there is a buffer anyway.

I intend to keep the car for couple more years before changing to something else

Too much is overblown on the 80% thing its more of a recommendation than a necessity

you can only ever charge to 95% of actual battery capacity (it’s a 62kwh pack with a usable 57/58 i doubt there will be noticeable difference between car charged often to 100% and one that hasnt
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw