Anyone who has a Life trim wishing they had a Family trim?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Hi all, bit of context to my question. I have ordered a Family Pro Perf ID3 (see my sig for order details/dates), but I have just got off the phone with a leasing company who has a Life Pro Perf with east derry alloys available to deliver within a month. The price difference is around £80 a month.

I am curious if anyone with the Life ID3 wishes they got a Family instead, or if anyone with a Family thinks the extras it includes aren't worth the price.

My head is going one way but I thought I'd ask for others who actually own the car's opinions before I complete my own! Thanks.

Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

I should add, the obvious benefit here is I get an ID3 now, opposed to waiting for mine which may be May/June or delayed even further. Just not the trim that I had ordered.
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

Not really.

There are two things that I think are on the Family spec that, for me personally, would have been “nice to have”, but not nice enough to spring the extra cost for:
  • Reversing camera
    Matrix headlights
I don’t do enough night driving to worry about the headlights (which by traditional standards I would say are very good), and really, the reversing bleepers are good enough (coupled with sight lines being a bit better than I had expected).

The only other thing that may influence your decision is whether the Life model you’ve been offered is MY22 or MY22.5 - not sure if changes are yet official or any examples have reached customers.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hello there, I've got a Life Pro and after I'd ordered it, before it was delivered, there was a big price change meaning I could've cancelled the original order and re-ordered a higher spec model for less than my Life, but it would've meant that I'd still be waiting for it to be delivered. I kept the original VW order for the Life, managed to reorder at the new lower price while retaining the original car, and I'm more than happy to actually have the car, even though it's a lower spec; I just remind myself of what I've got and not what I've never had.
We're all different, that's just my way of looking at it.
Last edited by StuartT on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

CoalPorter wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm Not really.

There are two things that I think are on the Family spec that, for me personally, would have been “nice to have”, but not nice enough to spring the extra cost for:
  • Reversing camera
    Matrix headlights
I don’t do enough night driving to worry about the headlights (which by traditional standards I would say are very good), and really, the reversing bleepers are good enough (coupled with sight lines being a bit better than I had expected).

The only other thing that may influence your decision is whether the Life model you’ve been offered is MY22 or MY22.5 - not sure if changes are yet official or any examples have reached customers.
Thanks. Yeah, those two are the main differences jumping out to me which I'm trying to justify in my head if it's worth the price difference/5 month wait for (other than the panoramic roof - but i've never had a car with one before, so I'm sure I don't care now).

Funnily enough, the model I test drove was a Life spec, and I was almost about to order one until I compared the differences and settled on a Family. But when I test drove the Life, I didn't notice anything that was "missing" that I would've wanted at the time.

I highly suspect it would be MY22, but a nice surprise if not.

Need to do some thinking I guess! Thanks again.
Last edited by Jack1338 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

StuartT wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:11 pm Hello there, I've got a Life Pro and after I'd ordered it, before it was delivered, there was a big price change meaning I could've cancelled the original order and re-ordered a higher spec model for less than my Life, but it would've meant that I'd still be waiting for it to be delivered. I kept the original VW order for the Life, managed to reorder at the new lower price while retaining the original car, and I'm more than happy to actually have the car, even though it's a lower spec; I just remind myself of what I've got and not what I've never had.
We're all different, that's just my opinion.
Thanks for replying. Just so I understand, you've of course got the Life now, but you've re-ordered a second ID.3 at a higher spec or same spec?

I'm kind of on the same mindset though. I'd be happy to own the car, and once I've got it I'm sure I'd get over the differences I don't have. But I'm saying that now when I don't have the car itself!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I use keyless entry and the reversing camera every time I drive the car, and the full beam function of the matrix headlights frequently too.

Would I pay £80 extra for them if I'd never had them before? That's a tough question to answer.

Would I want to drive an ID.3 without them now I've had both? No way!
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mish

Post by mish »

If you drive a lot at night, especially on country roads, then I would highly recommend the matrix headlights of the Family. My night vision is awful and it really makes a difference to me. Like so often, depends on circumstances and if you can afford the extra £80.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Jack1338 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm
StuartT wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:11 pm Hello there, I've got a Life Pro and after I'd ordered it, before it was delivered, there was a big price change meaning I could've cancelled the original order and re-ordered a higher spec model for less than my Life, but it would've meant that I'd still be waiting for it to be delivered. I kept the original VW order for the Life, managed to reorder at the new lower price while retaining the original car, and I'm more than happy to actually have the car, even though it's a lower spec; I just remind myself of what I've got and not what I've never had.
Thanks for replying. Just so I understand, you've of course got the Life now, but you've re-ordered a second ID.3 at a higher spec or same spec?

I'm kind of on the same mindset though. I'd be happy to own the car, and once I've got it I'm sure I'd get over the differences I don't have. But I'm saying that now when I don't have the car itself!
Apologies, for not being clearer.
No, I've just got a Life and that's it.
After I'd ordered it in April the prices were changed in July. My car went from £999 advanced payment down to £0. The Family went from £1249(about that!) to £249. I could've cancelled the original order and reordered a higher-spec model at the new price but it would've meant going to the back of the queue again. Instead, I managed to cancel and renew the contract, at the new price, whilst keeping the original Life order "live". In short, I carried on as if nothing had changed apart from how much it would now cost me, with the original waiting time for the car.
I hope that's clearer, you asked! 😁
Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted!
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

StuartT wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm
Jack1338 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Apologies, for not being clearer.
No, I've just got a Life and that's it.
After I'd ordered it in April the prices were changed in July. My car went from £999 advanced payment down to £0. The Family went from £1249(about that!) to £249. I could've cancelled the original order and reordered a higher-spec model at the new price but it would've meant going to the back of the queue again. Instead, I managed to cancel and renew the contract, at the new price, whilst keeping the original Life order "live". In short, I carried on as if nothing had changed apart from how much it would now cost me, with the original waiting time for the car.
I hope that's clearer, you asked! 😁
Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted!
Ahh I got you know. My confusion, apologies.

Thank you for the replies. Got my head in a tumble trying to figure out the best option, need to do some thinking over the next day I think!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Quick answer: No :)
Matrix headlights would be nice - but not for £1160 a year...
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I ordered a life but added the pack with the camera.

That got the prices close the the family price wise and I did ask about changing my order but would have seriously delayed the order so I didn’t do it.

It was only £30 a month more on my PCP though. For £80 I’d definitely not have done it.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We have a life and a Family. The only thing I miss on the Life is the Family's seat cloth. My Mrs wouldn't be without the Family's keyless, so she drives the Family. The Matrix lights feel redundant on our well lit roads (if I drove on B-roads frequently I might value them more), and never felt the need for the rear view camera when you have graphical representation of parking sensor output.

The Family only cost me £800 more than the Life (bought outright), so I don't feel ripped off.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

My dealer, Martins in Basingstoke, will retro-fit a reversing camera to a Life Pro for £450.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

JohnEG wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:38 pm My dealer, Martins in Basingstoke, will retro-fit a reversing camera to a Life Pro for £450.
Good to know for those who are of the opinion that the camera is essential plenty of people used to retrofit them to Golf 7s, and it used to be about £350 for the kit from the likes of Kufatec and a bit of OBD11 or VCDS.coding. £450 sounds reasonable on that basis.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Our previous car had a reversing camera but no sensors and on balance I do prefer the sensors. The lights on the life are brilliant, much better than our previous car.
Our first choice was a family pro but as the dealer had a life pro performance in stock with 19 inch alloys we went for it. The price difference was minimal and I would say the performance model with alloys would be more sort after than a pro with steels when the time comes to change cars. We got ours early September and would probably have been still waiting for a factory order. As it is we have had nearly five months trouble free and cheap motoring in this fantastic car.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
phixion

Post by phixion »

I personally think the Matrix headlights are one of the best features of my car. The way they follow the steering is crazy good and automatic high beam is very nice for country roads.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
TimF

Post by TimF »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:22 pm I ordered a life but added the pack with the camera.

That's what we did too. We specifically didn't want tinted windows, and weren't bothered about the sunroof.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have a Life now and another Life on order.
Its still quite a high spec compared with most run of the mill ICE hatches. So NO, have never wished I had gone for the family.
From previous cars the only thing I really miss is leather trim.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I've got a life, no experience of a family, but prior to getting the life I had a Leaf Tekna, and the one thing I do miss is the keyless entry!

Forever walking up to the car and then having to find my keys, rather than tap the button on the door handle.

First world problems and all that!

Would like the panoramic roof and the tinted windows, but not so much to pay hundreds for them.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys