12000 miles done

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi all,
Just thought I would give a review of my first 12000 miles in my ID3
Firstly I had been thinking of buying a Bev for about 6 months and was looking at the e-Niro but then I saw the ID3 and it may not be the best car in most areas it does give you a great overall package for the price.
The dimensions inside and out and range put it ahead of the rest ( in my opinion) and it looks like an EV not like some other brands
After reading other posts on delivery times I realise I’ve got lucky, I test drove the car on 14th April and took delivery the first week in May. I chose the life spec in free moonstone grey with steels. I was considering paying for metallic paint and alloys but at the time money was tight, but I do really like the look of the car as it is. One of my neighbours has a black one but it just blends in with the rest mine stands out.
One thing I had to consider was charging, I have no access for home charging. I am lucky to have a public charger in the car park 5 minutes away run by Bp and Wiltshire council so only costs me 7.85 a month
I commute 21 miles each way to amesbury and if I need to there are plenty of chargers there.

I’ve reached the 12000 milestone about 3 months early due to having to do several 190 mile journeys to Cambridgeshire and also a week of journeys from there to Leicester hospital due to my step father being terminally ill

With the longer trips I’ve used gridserve at Baldock and Bp sf connect at Peterborough and not had much of an issue

The car itself is so easy to drive and relaxing I’ve done the 190 mile trip and back in one day twice and not felt weary.
Parking is simple due to it’s size and the sensors. My test drive car had a camera and I didn’t like it so glad I don’t have it.
I’ve had no problems with the software but the info screen could be quicker.
My long term economy is 4.1. But the long term figures reset after about 5000 miles not sure why, before that it was showing 4.3.
The acceleration is amazing and passengers are always surprised when I put my foot down for a quick overtake.

The only things I would like to change for my next ID3 mark 2 (or 3 or 4) is for the same price matrix headlights, more range, better climate control (more economic) . Better interior (although I don’t mind mine) and a solar panel in the roof.

The public charging network needs to improve companies are investing in high speed hubs on major roads but more destination chargers for commuters and locals at slow speeds where you can leave your car while at work or at home at night if you don’t have access to be able to have your own personal charger
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Thanks for the review.. I'm in awe of your 4.3 consumption I can't get much beyond 3.1
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:50 am Thanks for the review.. I'm in awe of your 4.3 consumption I can't get much beyond 3.1
It was in May to mid September so no need for the climate control also my commute starts early in the morning and I use the shrewton rd not the 303 past Stonehenge so steady driving most of the time.
Even today I’ve got 4.4kwh, 35mph, 37min,21miles at 8.5’ with climate on low
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I've had mine for 15 months and it's showing 4 per kw long term , was at 4.3 until the winter months , some days it's down to 2 now on short journeys
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
soupdragon

Post by soupdragon »

When you are going for a 'trip' the ID3 is very efficient in general. Not the very best around (its a heavy car after all) but it still in the 'top tier' of EV's in general.

A chap on youtube who claims to be an efficient driver (I don't doubt that) gets north of 5 miles per KWH for mixed driving in decent weather. His route is around town, up a mountain, down the other side, A road driving, driving on hills, motor way driving (at 62mph though)

interestingly, he also breaks down efficiency by type of driving (figures in KWH/100 km)

Uphill - 36.1
Downhill - (-18.0)
Hills (up as well as down) - 12.5
Open road - 10.3
Motorway (62 mph) - 17.1
City - 13.1

Overall average for that - 12.1
Average speed for it all - 45 kmph
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey East Derry Alloys :D
Order No 3150xxxx :)
Ordered around middle of October 2021 :?
Build date still unknown - due wk38 then email from dealer to say it will be delayed further than this :oops:
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I'm on 3.3 miles/kWh for the last 5000 miles. Quite a lot of motorway and the rest just round and about. Motorway is mostly 65 - 70 mph ...
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Warminster id wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:00 am
The only things I would like to change for my next ID3 mark 2 (or 3 or 4) is for the same price matrix headlights, more range, better climate control (more economic) . Better interior (although I don’t mind mine) and a solar panel in the roof.
The solar panel in the roof is something that must have been said by so many people, but when you look at it would it be that much a benefit. I've got PV panels on my house, each panel is probably as big as an ID roof and they are 365w. You can get higher output now but even 400s which are scarce and expensive would at peak output do what, 1-1.5mph charge rate? SO if you parked up all day in bright sunlight you'd get 3.2kWH possibly 5% on a 58kWh car.