Cruise control efficiency

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

How efficient is cruise control on a long journey ?

Its a GREAT system which i'm using all the time, but we have a long journey/holiday coming up where i'm going to try to eek out as much range as possible.

Has anyone done any range tests with and without cruise activated ??

davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Not a range test as such, but did a 136 mile trip from home to North Wales just after Xmas, with ACC on, and pressed the brake pedal 4 times during the whole journey there. Incredible really. On the way back, I pressed the brake pedal about 8 times, but that included stopping for a charge.

Make sure you're in 'D' on A-roads/motorways and 'B' on B-roads/single-track-country/housing estates to get the best range while ACC is doing the work.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

davidwalton wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:33 pm Not a range test as such, but did a 136 mile trip from home to North Wales just after Xmas, with ACC on, and pressed the brake pedal 4 times during the whole journey there. Incredible really. On the way back, I pressed the brake pedal about 8 times, but that included stopping for a charge.

Make sure you're in 'D' on A-roads/motorways and 'B' on B-roads/single-track-country/housing estates to get the best range while ACC is doing the work.
Whether you are in B or D makes no difference to how ACC works?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It really depends how you use it.

If you ‘lock on’ to the back of a National express coach at the closest allowed distance - you’ll get a significant advantage over Sat at 65 on an empty motorway… I’ll often get better economy on a busy (but not slow) motorway than an empty one. Although the latter is far nicer to drive on!

Some believe coasting down steep hills rather than using the ACC to regen when it slows you down is more efficient. It may well be - but probably not much in it.
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:27 am
davidwalton wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:33 pm Not a range test as such, but did a 136 mile trip from home to North Wales just after Xmas, with ACC on, and pressed the brake pedal 4 times during the whole journey there. Incredible really. On the way back, I pressed the brake pedal about 8 times, but that included stopping for a charge.

I've noticed a difference between D & B when ACC is active. Not how ACC performs, but with the amount of regen when ACC is slowing you down. And you get slowed more on smaller, twisty roads so B gives you more back to the battery.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

When I’m on a long drive if I have to slow down due to speed limits or slower traffic and then come out of the restrictions I will increase speed gradually to be efficient, I’ve noticed the cruise control wants to get to the limit as quick as possible using more power.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Warminster id wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:06 am When I’m on a long drive if I have to slow down due to speed limits or slower traffic and then come out of the restrictions I will increase speed gradually to be efficient, I’ve noticed the cruise control wants to get to the limit as quick as possible using more power.
Yes, it does seem to be desperate to show off.. ECO mode reduces that a bit.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

davidwalton wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:05 am
G43FAN wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:27 am

I've noticed a difference between D & B when ACC is active. Not how ACC performs, but with the amount of regen when ACC is slowing you down. And you get slowed more on smaller, twisty roads so B gives you more back to the battery.
It's more a personal thing, if your driving around B roads and single track lanes and have to constantly brake then I personally would say you are driving too fast.

In B mode, Yes you get slowed more but that probably means you need to use power to speed up again. In D if you have to slow down you can use the brake pedal and you get the same levels of regen or you can coast. That couple of extra seconds of regen is probably negligible and coasting is probably a more efficient way to cover the miles. I live in a very hilly area.. B mode is dire in my opinion, I'd rather let gravity do it's thing.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

the ACC in eco mode is certainly less aggressive...
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Thanks everyone
djkav

Post by djkav »

I'm pretty sure 'D' mode works in conjunction with the nav data. It auto regens when it knows it needs to slow down for speed limit changes, approaching roundabouts and junctions and even terrain (inclines/declines) etc.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, it might with Travel Assist only.
Motability Customer
ID3 Tour (Standard) --- Stonewashed Blue
Ordered 29-Aug-2021 --- #31421
When will it be built... Answers on a postcard.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

djkav wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:51 pm I'm pretty sure 'D' mode works in conjunction with the nav data. It auto regens when it knows it needs to slow down for speed limit changes, approaching roundabouts and junctions and even terrain (inclines/declines) etc.
You are correct, at least when eco assist and ACC are on. (As for inclines I don't think it's using nav data to specifically identify the incline, just using whatever increased or decreased power (or regen) is necessary to maintain the desired speed.)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:37 pm
djkav wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:51 pm I'm pretty sure 'D' mode works in conjunction with the nav data. It auto regens when it knows it needs to slow down for speed limit changes, approaching roundabouts and junctions and even terrain (inclines/declines) etc.
You are correct, at least when eco assist and ACC are on. (As for inclines I don't think it's using nav data to specifically identify the incline, just using whatever increased or decreased power (or regen) is necessary to maintain the desired speed.)
Mine will regen brake when ACC is engaged in D in conjunction with satnav without eco assist. It will slow at mini roundabouts, bends etc.
My eco assist is definitely disabled
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I never use B mode. It's more efficient to preserve momentum and plan ahead for slowing down than have the B mode constantly regen every time you lift off the accelerator. Whether you're in D mode and lightly use the brake pedal within the regen zone or you're in B mode and lift off.the accelerator to sliw down within the limits of regen,the effect is the same, but its more efficient to lift off the accelerator early in D mode and not need to regen than lift off the accelerator late in B mode to slowdown under regen.

Regen isn't free energy, it recovers wasted kinetic energy when you need to slow down, if you're not wasting it then there's nothing to recover.

In D mode, if you're not accelerating, the satnav mapping sliows you down with regen for a roundabout whether ACC is on or off and whether the satnav is actively navigating you or not.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Excellent help y'all.

We have mapped out a 1000 mile UK road trip starting soon.
Will probably be using cruise on motorways in eco mode with eco assist on as well.

I can only imagine B mode would be beneficial inner city, traffic jams and descending a mountain pass.. So, probably in D most of the time.

In my local area (this weather) i'm getting a 200 mile range with a 58k 200hp id.3... really interested to find out what a longer trip will do to the figures as most of my journeys are 10/40 miles.