Disastrous software problem after 6 days!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

Has anyone else had this problem with a 2022 ID3? After 6 days we got a message saying some safety features not working - but in reality it's all the controls on the steering wheel, the battery level, the clock and, worst of all, the headlights. Can't use it at night! Booked in for repair on Monday but curious to know if this is common.
Life 150 ProPerformance Moonstone Grey, Jan 22

Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Hope not šŸ˜¬
Fam Pro Perf, 19ā€ Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I haven't seen anyone mention that before. Certainly not common.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

No that sounds like a hardware fault, it's not a software error. Out of interest have you checked the 12v battery charge level?
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

Thanks G43FAN. You might be right. It spent 2 days back at the dealer and apparently VW's instructions were to reset two 'systems' (no idea what that means and no-one explained). Drove it home in daylight and this evening the exact same fault has returned. If it's the 12V battery I guess a replacement would sort it?
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

I thought I'd post the error message in case anyone recognises it and can offer some wisdom.

Error message 030222.jpg

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

You might be getting the latest update.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

Latest development - VW has now recommended replacing the control unit with a new one. Dealer keeping the car in for a few days and had given us a courtesy car. Apparently the dealer's mechanics were sceptical about VW's first suggested cure of a reset, and this sounds like a more plausible solution.
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

Just to finish this thread (I hope!) I got the car back today with a new ICAS1 control unit. The problems appear to be solved, but I'll wait till it's night time to test the headlights. This means to date we've had a working car for 7 days out of 19. Keeping my fingers firmly cross this is a one-off.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Good. I hope it draws a line under it. šŸ‘
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Meepmeep

Post by Meepmeep »

Hi. Iā€™m new to this forum and have many questions as sadly
Didnā€™t get a handover when we picked our ID3 up. Struggling with the app to see any charge levels. Car is online. Reinstalled app but nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
charlieurban

Post by charlieurban »

That's a month since VW replaced the ICAS control unit and the car has worked perfectly since. The only minor niggle is an occasional message saying the front sensor isn't working so driver assist unavailable. Happened twice I think. But loving the drive.
Sen1

Post by Sen1 »

Mine has just done this. Two blank screens, unable to reset the screen. :(
vanb

Post by vanb »

Morning all. Just got up early to have a trip out on a lovely Sunday. Both screens are blank. Need screen to see the SAT NAV so my trip is off. Need to be able to see the speed Iā€™m going-but canā€™t. Iā€™ve tried to power the infotainment system on and off but thatā€™s not working too! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If your problem is two blank screens, some people say it was fixed by resetting the infotainment (press and hold the power button on the bottom left of the screen for 15-20 seconds.) Others said this didn't work but they got it working again by disconnecting the 12V battery for a minute and then reconnecting it (this is obviously a bit more involved). Others have just gone to the dealer. Never happened to me, I'm just regurgitating what I've seen reported on the internet.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

Meepmeep wrote: ā†‘Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:05 pm Hi. Iā€™m new to this forum and have many questions as sadly
Didnā€™t get a handover when we picked our ID3 up. Struggling with the app to see any charge levels. Car is online. Reinstalled app but nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
Burying your question in the middle of an unrelated thread is not the best way to go about getting help. Suggest you make this a new post.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue. Octopus GO.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
vanb

Post by vanb »

sidehaas wrote: ā†‘Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:58 am If your problem is two blank screens, some people say it was fixed by resetting the infotainment (press and hold the power button on the bottom left of the screen for 15-20 seconds.) Others said this didn't work but they got it working again by disconnecting the 12V battery for a minute and then reconnecting it (this is obviously a bit more involved). Others have just gone to the dealer. Never happened to me, I'm just regurgitating what I've seen reported on the internet.
Thank you for your response. I got it working eventually by resetting the infotainment screen by holding the power button down as you suggested. I did try this at first but it didnā€™t work. Perhaps I wasnā€™t holding it down with enough force.