WeConnect app - cannot start air-conditioning

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
mtairas

Post by mtairas »

The apps is connected and working. I can see the charging level. But when I try to turn on the air conditioning from the app it goes to a minutes long waiting and then says that fails to connect. Any ideas on fixes?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Does the climate system actually start though?

The app doesn't talk directly to the car, it's more like this:

App <> VW <> car <> VW <> app

There are times then the instruction gets to the car, but the acknowledgement doesn't get back to the app in time.
Lester

Post by Lester »

I've had exactly the same problem for the past two days. I may have to buy a scraper ....
mtairas

Post by mtairas »

The climate system works just fine when I enter the car. I just cannot get it activated via the app. This is quite important because I live in Finland and it can get to minus 20 Celsius here!
Deleted User 192

mtairas wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 pm The climate system works just fine when I enter the car. I just cannot get it activated via the app. This is quite important because I live in Finland and it can get to minus 20 Celsius here!

So it just doesn't activate in the car? That is different from the app saying it's worked (or not)

Does your car have a good 4G signal where you park it?
mtairas

Post by mtairas »

It started working after pushing the start button again and again multiple times (after it had failed to activate).

I live in Finland, and we have a ridiculously good 4G networks here :)

Thanks scott28tt for your help!
Deleted User 192

mtairas wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm It started working after pushing the start button again and again multiple times (after it had failed to activate).

I live in Finland, and we have a ridiculously good 4G networks here :)

Thanks scott28tt for your help!

I'm still not clear on whether "started working" means the climate system starting in the car (which for me usually takes 15-20 seconds) OR the app telling you that it had started - anyway I'm glad it's resolved.
mtairas

Post by mtairas »

App said "activated" and when I got to the car the air conditioning (and battery heating) was working.
Deleted User 192

mtairas wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 am App said "activated" and when I got to the car the air conditioning (and battery heating) was working.

Exactly my point, there are times when the system in the car will be working but the app either says it isn't or reports an error.

Don't believe the app, hence my first question about whether the system in the car was actually operational.
mtairas

Post by mtairas »

It is only operational if the app said activated.
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I had this problem too, and the only way to resolve it was to cycle the car's ignition on/off. Rather misses the point about remote activation!

The nice people at WeConnect app support told me that I should try disconnecting the car from my home wifi, because all app communication and software updates are done via the car's own internet connection on 4G. (Or 5G if you're fully vaccinated...) I've tried this and so far, so good.

When you can actually communicate with the car, this should be apparent when you open the app (check that it says "just now" in the top left corner). It can take around a minute to complete the action, and the app is a bit confusing. After pressing "Start" you may see the button change to "Stop", then back to "Start", making you think it hasn't worked. But be patient, it should change back to "Stop" after a while.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:22 am Does the climate system actually start though?

The app doesn't talk directly to the car, it's more like this:

App <> VW <> car <> VW <> app

There are times then the instruction gets to the car, but the acknowledgement doesn't get back to the app in time.
My experience reflects this. I've previously tested it by switching the heating on via the app while stood next to the car, I can hear the heating come on, but the app doesn't say it is active.

Force closing and restarting the app often seems to pull the correct status though, if the heating is on but the app isn't reporting it correctly.

Equally I've often just made multiple attempts to switch the heating on via the app, and eventually it has worked.

I suspect there are occasions where the instruction doesn't get properly communicated to the car on the first attempt, but as you say, it is certainly the case that the app doesn't always show what is really happening.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Deleted User 192

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:33 am I had this problem too, and the only way to resolve it was to cycle the car's ignition on/off. Rather misses the point about remote activation!

The nice people at WeConnect app support told me that I should try disconnecting the car from my home wifi, because all app communication and software updates are done via the car's own internet connection on 4G. (Or 5G if you're fully vaccinated...) I've tried this and so far, so good.

When you can actually communicate with the car, this should be apparent when you open the app (check that it says "just now" in the top left corner). It can take around a minute to complete the action, and the app is a bit confusing. After pressing "Start" you may see the button change to "Stop", then back to "Start", making you think it hasn't worked. But be patient, it should change back to "Stop" after a while.

In my experience “just now” is more reflective of when the app last got an update from VW, rather than it saying “yay, I’ve found your car”
Meepmeep

Post by Meepmeep »

Hi. I’m new to this forum and have many questions as sadly
Didn’t get a handover when we picked our ID3 up. Struggling with the app to see any charge levels. Car is online and I can get the ac to work but not the charge levels. Reinstalled app but nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Meepmeep wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:09 pm Hi. I’m new to this forum and have many questions as sadly
Didn’t get a handover when we picked our ID3 up. Struggling with the app to see any charge levels. Car is online and I can get the ac to work but not the charge levels. Reinstalled app but nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
Not come across that one I’m afraid. It usually works or not at all.
The state of this app after 18 months really is unbelievable. What’s even worse is that they don’t seem to care less.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Meepmeep wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:09 pm Hi. I’m new to this forum and have many questions as sadly
Do you see anything like the screen shot here?
Can you screenshot what you do see?
Dave

Screenshot_20211211-210128_We Connect ID.jpg

1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22