Tyre damage - opinions?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Hi folks, slightly unusual request... this is not actually to do with my ID.3 but I think there are some people on here who are pretty knowledgeable about cars in general, so hopefully I can get away with it...

I damaged a tyre on my other car (Octavia) against a kerb a few days ago. It's holding pressure ok but I thought it would need to be replaced. To my surprise the local garage have just told me it's ok as long as you can't see any metal showing in the sidewall structure. However I'm due to take the family to France in it in a few weeks (it has a much bigger boot than the ID3) so I'd appreciate some extra opinion(s). Below are some photos - what do you think?
If it makes a difference the tyres are Dunlop Sportmaxx.

Many thanks!

PXL_20220315_125348099.jpg

PXL_20220315_125319425.jpg

PXL_20220315_125300089.jpg

ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

There's no way I'd drive on that personally, but I am a known paranoid about tyres.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I would get a new one as soon as I could and would certainly not consider a long journey.
Chances are its ok at low speed but the dusruption if you are away and it lets you down. Not a risk I would take personally.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Based on the last photo whereby the tyre looks like it has very minor scuffing, I'd say yes.

Based on the first few photos where it's clear you have quite a deep gash in the sidewall, i'd say no way! Get it replaced and the sharp edge of tgat wheel gouge on the rim filed down or skimmed with an angle grinder with an abrasive disk at the very least. Do you have any pride in the Octavia or is it just a workhorse? If you do, I'd get that wheel replaced.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Ok thanks all - you have confirmed my initial thoughts. I was surprised when the guy at the garage said it was ok. I'll get it replaced.
(MH - I did have some pride in it - but it's done 90k now and low use during the pandemic hasn't been very kind to it, so it is starting to need more spent on it. If I'm honest I'm treating it as more of a workhorse now. It needs to be safe though!)
I'll stop spamming the forum now :)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 pm Ok thanks all - you have confirmed my initial thoughts. I was surprised when the guy at the garage said it was ok. I'll get it replaced.
(MH - I did have some pride in it - but it's done 90k now and low use during the pandemic hasn't been very kind to it, so it is starting to need more spent on it. If I'm honest I'm treating it as more of a workhorse now. It needs to be safe though!)
One last thing...Don't let that garage replace your brake pads/discs when they need doing. :lol:

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 pm
sidehaas wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 pm Ok thanks all - you have confirmed my initial thoughts. I was surprised when the guy at the garage said it was ok. I'll get it replaced.
One last thing...Don't let that garage replace your brake pads/discs when they need doing. :lol:
I made the same observation.
Unless they look like little round mirrors what you expect the technician to say next is "your discs need replacing" without any supporting measurement or data.
Pet hate.
😂
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The front discs are in good nick but yes, the rears are bad - another casualty of low use in the pandemic. Believe it not, they actually look a lot better than a couple of weeks earlier, a quiet motorway run with repeated hard braking has cleaned them up quite a bit, but whether they can be improved more I'm not sure. They got an advisory at last MOT.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve done something like that before - blob of superglue down to the base of the split and wipe of any excess after - never know it happened.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Tyre side-wall damage like that is super dangerous particular on high speed / hot tyre temperatures. The pictures you show, look to be deep.
If you want to avoid a blow-out, with possibility of losing control of the vehicle, or damage to other parts of the car, change it!!!!
Also yes, do something to eliminate the sharp edge on the rim. Probably any professional tyre fitter will insist that it is done.

You are coming to France (you dont say where), where now in recent days the temperatures are above 23C, plus long runs at high speed, so the risk will be higher due to higher tyre pressures.

If you do get a blow-out on the autoroute, expect a lot of money to get recovered. In addition, expect your insurance company to ‘get out’ of paying because their argument will be ‘that the car was not properly maintained’.

The rubber is the only thing between you and the road…. Don’t cut corners….forget the advice that it ‘is Ok’ or ‘use some superglue’… that’s advice you will contemplate whilst waiting for recovery service for several hours on the autoroute in the middle of no-where!

Ignore advice
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I've filed off the burr (took 20 seconds, was surprisingly easy) and ordered some new tyres now. The fronts were getting low and would have needed changing in 6 months anyway so I just decided to change the lot. Black circles only charged me £90 a corner for 225/40/18 Pilot Sports which I was pretty pleased by - pretty sure I've paid more in previous years. Maybe that sort of tyre has got cheaper now that there so many bigger ones about!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:30 am I've filed off the burr (took 20 seconds, was surprisingly easy) and ordered some new tyres now. The fronts were getting low and would have needed changing in 6 months anyway so I just decided to change the lot. Black circles only charged me £90 a corner for 225/40/18 Pilot Sports which I was pretty pleased by - pretty sure I've paid more in previous years. Maybe that sort of tyre has got cheaper now that there so many bigger ones about!

Good job. I did wonder whenI saw that burr whether it was mainly paint, or at least very thin. 225/40 R18 are a very common size, so they're quite cheap. My old Polo GTI+ came on 215/40 R18s which were almost double the price of the 225s, so I put the 225s on. It seems to be the same with ID3 18" tyres, quite a niche size therefore expensive, although they are coming down in price (about £104 performers fully fitted at Costco for Primacy 4 if you catch the regular Michelin promo).

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:30 am I've filed off the burr (took 20 seconds, was surprisingly easy) and ordered some new tyres now. The fronts were getting low and would have needed changing in 6 months anyway so I just decided to change the lot. Black circles only charged me £90 a corner for 225/40/18 Pilot Sports which I was pretty pleased by - pretty sure I've paid more in previous years. Maybe that sort of tyre has got cheaper now that there so many bigger ones about!

I'm 100% in support of this decision.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203