Service plans

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi

I was wondering if any one with the 1st edition has sorted out any service plans ?

The reason I ask - had an email from VW about them. Little confused as it offers 1 service and MOT, but the car is only 17 months old , and not transferable or refundable !

Any comments?
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The ID Family service plans seem to be a complete piss take.. basically twice the price of an ICE service.

id family plan £340 for a £10 pollen filter, a £70 Brake Fluid change and a £55 MOT and a 'Service' which is what exactly?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ICE VWs have their first brake fluid change at 3 years and then every 2 years thereafter. That in itself is wholly unnecessary unless a quick test of the brake fluid proves otherwise.

You have the filter that pops out of its housing like a video tape out of a player, 30 second job, and presumably a lot of tyre kicking to go with.

Has anyone seen a detailed schedule of works to see what "checks" they do too?

If it still applies to us, EU law allows you to get servicing done anywhere to preserve your warranty. The place to go might actually be a Nissan dealership, they gave sensible Leaf servicing prices. The only sticking point would ve if there's some VAG specific diagnostic plug in.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Citygate try and justify the cost by saying they inspect your charging cable to check it's not damaged and charge the battery to confirm that works - complete piss take. Most of us hardly use the charging cable and if we do are capable of seeing if there is physical damage and I'm sure we'd be knocking on their door if the car wasn't charging correctly! Other than that they say they are inspecting things that would be on an MOT and then want to charge you for doing an MOT test as well. I can't see me using there service unless they revise their offering.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Big277wave wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:01 pm Citygate try and justify the cost by saying they inspect your charging cable to check it's not damaged and charge the battery to confirm that works - complete piss take. Most of us hardly use the charging cable and if we do are capable of seeing if there is physical damage and I'm sure we'd be knocking on their door if the car wasn't charging correctly! Other than that they say they are inspecting things that would be on an MOT and then want to charge you for doing an MOT test as well. I can't see me using there service unless they revise their offering.
That's fine, except we don't need an MOT for 3 years, and the maximum anyone can charge for an MOT in a car is currently £54.85.

Absolute robbers. If there's zero diagnostic plug in, they'll be hard pushed to justify £120 for a service.

van

Post by van »

I was surprised when electronically signing paperwork before collecting my car a few weeks ago to find one referring to a service plan. I hadn't asked for one 7 months before and asked the dealer why? They said that VW now insist that new cars (just EVs?) are sold with one, there was no charge to me. It covered the 2 year service, filter change, hydraulic fluid change and mot at 3 years.
It was VW paperwork, no obvious reason to suppose a scam, and the final invoice was the same as agreed back in August. The nominal cost was £280 ish.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

van wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:24 pm I was surprised when electronically signing paperwork before collecting my car a few weeks ago to find one referring to a service plan. I hadn't asked for one 7 months before and asked the dealer why? They said that VW now insist that new cars (just EVs?) are sold with one, there was no charge to me. It covered the 2 year service, filter change, hydraulic fluid change and mot at 3 years.
It was VW paperwork, no obvious reason to suppose a scam, and the final invoice was the same as agreed back in August. The nominal cost was £280 ish.
Sounds like the service cost was always a hidden extra in your order (like when they're add GAP/Lifeshine to a quote as standard and it is up to you to say you don't want it), or they've absorbed the cost as goodwill, given the wait.

VW aren't bothered if you buy a service pack with the car, but there's usually a decent saving if you do e.g. First 2 services for £199 on my 2019 Polo GTI+. Looks like no savings to be had at the prices quoted.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I agreed to a service plan when I ordered mine (last August, delivered in Jan). It was £280 at the, which covered services in the 2nd and 3rd year. (Without wanting to get in to the discussion here about what each of those might include - we've had that before.) I took the view that there probably wasn't much for them to do at the service, but that it would definitely be needed to maintain the warranty,the industry were unlikely to offer a service for an almost-new car for less than £100-150 regardless of what it actually meant doing, and there was big uncertainty over what it was that would need to be done with these as brand new cars. So, I considered that spending £280 might be a little expensive but gave me more certainty (and still less than I would spend on an ICE car for two services at the main dealer, however minor.)

Once people without plans go out in to the world to get their first services (6 months or so?) it would be great if we could collate some data on what people have been quoted by whom/for what.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

When I purchased my Zoe in 2014 I purchased the 4 year service plan from them, that turned out to be reasonable value as it included the brake fluid change which was a 5 hour job on the Zoe and a replacement lead acid battery at the 3 year service. They also included the year 3 and year 4 MOT's which I hadn't expected. The VW price just seems to be a bit too much though.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 am The ID Family service plans seem to be a complete piss take.. basically twice the price of an ICE service.

id family plan £340 for a £10 pollen filter, a £70 Brake Fluid change and a £55 MOT and a 'Service' which is what exactly?
That is absolutely ridiculous. Given that there are almost zero consumables involved, and VW's website still proudly announces that we can save money as no oil changes are required! It also seems to indicate that intervals are still 24 months after the initial service, though I'm sure I've seen some conflicting information about this. And as you say, why include a brake fluid service which is only required every other year after the initial three?!

My feeling has always been that the service checks for an ID don't look much more onerous than the free healthchecks we get during every dealer visit.

The bit I really can't understand is that the monthly cost for the ID plan is almost twice the cost of the e-golf / e-up service plan.

Even if the ID plan was a 24 month plan with two MOTs included, it would feel a bit less nonsensical, but still some way off being really good value.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I just sent this to VW Customer Services:-

Dear customer services representative,

As my car approaches 1 year old, I have started looking at servicing requirements (which don't seem to be required until the car is 24 months old), as at the time of purchase, VW didn't have any official guidance. As the VW UK website touts the benefits of buying an EV to include servicing cost savings as there is no oil to change, imagine my surprise at the pricing (full range plans shown below.

For the princely sum of £338.10, the ID3 gets an MOT (maximum chargeable amount approx. £55), a pollen filter that costs around £11 and takes less than 1 minute to fit, a brake fluid change (which previously cost me £80 on my 2019 Polo GTI+), and a "service" - the scope of works is unknown at this point but presumably includes visual checks of the suspension, tyres, underside of the car, the charging cable, and not a lot else that I can determine. With the above in mind, I count the MOT, pollen filter and brake fluid change to be about £146, plus potentially, at a stretch, 30 mins of labour to cover the visual inspection which is seemingly costing a whopping £192.

Given that for the other 3 plan options given below, you get the following:-

Standard plan: 2 oil changes, including 2 oil filters and around 9L of oil (4.7L capacity n a 2.0 TSI engine), and additional labour, for just £48 more.

The eGolf / eUp plan gives you 2 services, including 2 pollen filter changes and 2 brake fluid changes (if required) for just £23 extra. If you take the MOT out of contention for the ID3, an equivalent single servive for the ID£ comes in at £283 (service/pollen filter change/brake fluid change) vs £181 (half the service plan cost) for an EGolf/eUp.

If you could list the schedule of works for both the ID3 and the eGolf, I'd be most grateful. If you could also justify why equivalent servicing work for the ID3 costs £102/56% more on the ID3 than the eGolf, that would also be helpful.

Kind regards,

Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:51 am I just sent this to VW Customer Services:-

Dear customer services representative,

As my car approaches 1 year old, I have started looking at servicing requirements (which don't seem to be required until the car is 24 months old), as at the time of purchase, VW didn't have any official guidance. As the VW UK website touts the benefits of buying an EV to include servicing cost savings as there is no oil to change, imagine my surprise at the pricing (full range plans shown below.

For the princely sum of £338.10, the ID3 gets an MOT (maximum chargeable amount approx. £55), a pollen filter that costs around £11 and takes less than 1 minute to fit, a brake fluid change (which previously cost me £80 on my 2019 Polo GTI+), and a "service" - the scope of works is unknown at this point but presumably includes visual checks of the suspension, tyres, underside of the car, the charging cable, and not a lot else that I can determine. With the above in mind, I count the MOT, pollen filter and brake fluid change to be about £146, plus potentially, at a stretch, 30 mins of labour to cover the visual inspection which is seemingly costing a whopping £192.

Given that for the other 3 plan options given below, you get the following:-

Standard plan: 2 oil changes, including 2 oil filters and around 9L of oil (4.7L capacity n a 2.0 TSI engine), and additional labour, for just £48 more.

The eGolf / eUp plan gives you 2 services, including 2 pollen filter changes and 2 brake fluid changes (if required) for just £23 extra. If you take the MOT out of contention for the ID3, an equivalent single servive for the ID£ comes in at £283 (service/pollen filter change/brake fluid change) vs £181 (half the service plan cost) for an EGolf/eUp.

If you could list the schedule of works for both the ID3 and the eGolf, I'd be most grateful. If you could also justify why equivalent servicing work for the ID3 costs £102/56% more on the ID3 than the eGolf, that would also be helpful.

Kind regards,
Think I might send VW a similar email monkeyhanger.

I have just spoken to my local dealer and they said the ID3 requires a service every 2 years. They also quoted £328 for inspection service , pollen filter etc .

Also a bit confused by VWs email re service plan , unless they mean 2yr service and an MOT at end of year 3 .... It's not terribly clear .
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:45 pm I have just spoken to my local dealer and they said the ID3 requires a service every 2 years. They also quoted £328 for inspection service , pollen filter etc .

I predict an awful lot of people are going to not service their ID.3's at those rates. For what is a visual check and a filter replacement and 30 minutes work they can get in the sea for £328 the bobbing rastards.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm
Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:45 pm I have just spoken to my local dealer and they said the ID3 requires a service every 2 years. They also quoted £328 for inspection service , pollen filter etc .

I predict an awful lot of people are going to not service their ID.3's at those rates. For what is a visual check and a filter replacement and 30 minutes work they can get in the sea for £328 the bobbing rastards.
The MOT inclusion is an odd one. VW seem to actively discourage you from keeping a car longer than 3 years, especially with the 2018 withdrawal of factory warranty extensions to 5 years.

I can only guess that most people who generally fon't keep cars longer than warranty don't know how much an MOT costs and imagine its making up a big chunk of that service cost, and there's the high probability that those who do regularly do buy new won't make use of the MOT, so more money fir VW. Someone also mentioned that the service pack isn't transferable (it always used to stay with the car so the next owner could make use of any unused services in the service pack - another con if that's true.

I really want a schedule of works for that MOT. If it is just visual checks, an (almost certainly unnecessary) brake fluid change and a pollen filter change, it's hard to justify £100 without the brake fluid change and £180 if you do get it done too.

Will it be a big issue not to have FVWSH on an EV, or will the second hand buyers realise there's bugger all to service - no oil, transmission fluid or timing belts/belt driven water pumps to consider.

If you do go for the service, undoubtedly the dealership will be trying to hawk you an AC regas too and desperately looking for nails and screws in tyres to se you a replacement.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:41 pm
Utumno wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm

The MOT inclusion is an odd one. VW seem to actively discourage you from keeping a car longer than 3 years, especially with the 2018 withdrawal of factory warranty extensions to 5 years.

I can only guess that most people who generally fon't keep cars longer than warranty don't know how much an MOT costs and imagine its making up a big chunk of that service cost, and there's the high probability that those who do regularly do buy new won't make use of the MOT, so more money fir VW. Someone also mentioned that the service pack isn't transferable (it always used to stay with the car so the next owner could make use of any unused services in the service pack - another con if that's true.

I really want a schedule of works for that MOT. If it is just visual checks, an (almost certainly unnecessary) brake fluid change and a pollen filter change, it's hard to justify £100 without the brake fluid change and £180 if you do get it done too.

Will it be a big issue not to have FVWSH on an EV, or will the second hand buyers realise there's bugger all to service - no oil, transmission fluid or timing belts/belt driven water pumps to consider.

If you do go for the service, undoubtedly the dealership will be trying to hawk you an AC regas too and desperately looking for nails and screws in tyres to se you a replacement.

I suggest they might be hammering the nails and screws into your tyres to fill the inspection time up. No point having an injury without adding an insult to it !

FVWSH will always help resale I suspect, but I doubt it'll make that much difference in the end.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

They do slways manage to find a rogue screw when I get a service - probably applied by themselves. They always look disappointed when I elect to take the car away to Costco for a tyre replacement costing about £90 as opposed to paying them about £+50 for the same (or lesser) tyre.

I can't see any impact on warranty in not having a pollen filter or brake fluid change - nothing there to affect the mechanical or elecrro-mechanical operation of anything. In the interests of being environmentally conscious, the brake fluid should be tested for moisture levels and left alone if in spec.

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi all
Just an update.
I sent an email to my dealer and he replied with a breakdown
Pollen filter 64.05
Brake fluid 59.54
Inspection service 1.4 hours 237.31
Mot 54.85
Total with vat is 415.75
So he is saying it’s a 77.65 saving!

Does anyone think that 237.31 for less than an hour and half work is excessive?
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Warminster id wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:14 am Hi all
Just an update.
I sent an email to my dealer and he replied with a breakdown
Pollen filter 64.05
Brake fluid 59.54
Inspection service 1.4 hours 237.31
Mot 54.85
Total with vat is 415.75
So he is saying it’s a 77.65 saving!

Does anyone think that 237.31 for less than an hour and half work is excessive?
Yes, it absolutely is! For comparison, although the pricing isn't quite as keen these days, a few years back Audi used to do a service plan with one oil change service and one inspection service, for £300. They also provide MOT protection, which I don't think VW offer. Essentially it is a free warranty cover which pays for repairs if your car fails the next year's MOT as a result of one of the items covered. I've had a brake caliper and two coil springs replaced at no cost thanks to MOT protection.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

So the pollen filter is £70 😱 it’s a £10-15 part… and it’s as easy to fit as getting something from the glovebox.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi all
Just done a quick search and found a company called servicing stop. I put my reg in and it came up with a full service price of £152.80.
Obviously I would probably ring them to confirm they know it’s an EV , but what a difference to VW!!!!
Was thinking of booking it in for next year 🙂
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car