Climate & miles efficiency

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MattP

Post by MattP »

Bit of an odd one that someone can explain I’m sure. I was driving home from work with the climate all switched off. I then switched it on to low only, just hitting the front screen.
The range then increased by 25 miles.
Why would having everything switched off decrease range?
Many thanks
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Not sure about what you have said.
The figure the range was showing with everything off increased when climate was switched on?
If that is what you observed you would need more information to determine the change.
Normal change is a decrease in range when you engage climate but after a couple of glasses of wine this evening I would suggest human error.
My apologies, been a long day 🙃
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Haven't you posted this before?
Someone did the other day.
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 pm Haven't you posted this before?
I have seen the same, turning climbing from fully off to LO increases the indicated range when it's cold outside, although I've only ever seen it make a small difference (less than 5 miles.) I don't why, if I had to guess it's probably a bug in the algorithm. The only other possibility I can think of is that when you have it turned off, it actually continues on a very low or occasional flow and heats the air a bit when it does that to avoid cooling the cabin? But I suspect this isn't it.
I think this may be different to the first post? Not sure.
I think in LOW the fan runs but there is no heating. If you have the AC switched off and select LOW coming from a setting where the heating WAS ON I would expect the range to increase.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Daveion wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 am
I think in LOW the fan runs but there is no heating. If you have the AC switched off and select LOW coming from a setting where the heating WAS ON I would expect the range to increase.
Hi. What do you mean by ‘LOW’??
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

When you drop below 16C it displays LO.
(I thought it was LOW)
In that setting, if its like an ICE:-
The fan runs
No heating
AC would run continuously if enabled.

20220406_125608.jpg

Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Daveion wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 am
No - similar to the OP. When I say fully off I mean the entire climate system, not just AC. So theoretically no heater, no AC, no fan. If you then turn it on and set the temperature to LO with everything else on auto control, if it is cold outside (presumably cold enough that AC stays off), the indicated range goes up.
It's just a bit weird but not significant.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Ok I thought ‘Lo’ was the minimum temperature you could set, seeing it’s on the temp setting control.
I should read the manual occasionally I guess🥹
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Sturdy2

Post by Sturdy2 »

When I plug in the charger the cooling fan comes on
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

That happens when it’s - err - hot 😁
TimF

Post by TimF »

Sturdy2 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:18 pm When I plug in the charger the cooling fan comes on
Is that because the charge controller is also able to manage the air conditioning, including achieving a target temp at target end-of-charge time? My WeConnect app certainly does that, overriding whatever I might have set in the car. WeConnect doesn't seem to have an "Off" setting for the fan/AC.