Summer Range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
rawws

Post by rawws »

What range are you getting now we are in warmer temps in UK not driven mine for last 3 weeks as i was abroad drove it last night from airport and got home with around 30miles range left on battery havent charged it yet but when i started the car this afternoon its said 51 miles range left can only think its due to the high temps in south east uk
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I had a 200 mile drive back from Norwich on Thursday and got 4.4 mi/kWh.
It was largely 50mph driving with 50 miles at 70mph motorway, so almost ideal for the car.
2 stops for refreshment and instavolt topups.
The car was great.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

During a 900 mile jaunt recently, there was a cross-country section of winding roads, either B or A roads; I was very surprised (having never seen it before) to read 5.5 miles/Kwh!
It lasted for twenty minutes or so, before reaching a faster section. Temperatures were certainly not above 14C in mid-Wales.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

3.9 from Manchester to North Norfolk a couple of days back. Presently GOM extrapolated to 100% is 240 miles 😱
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

With Winter temps, the biggest factors are ambient temp and trip duration - that battery warming has a huge hit for shorter journeys.

With Summer temps, 20C is ideal, warm enough for the battery, not so warm that you are using the AC in a big way. From there, the biggest variable is speed, for (mainly) wind resistance losses increasing disproportionately with speed.

Sat at 50mph through a long stretch of Ave speed camera zones, you could be pushing 5 miles per kWh. Sat at 60mph, its more like 4.5, and at 70mph, its more like 3.7 - all assuming clear roads.

We've got 2 ID3 pro-performance models at home and they've each taken their turn to do identical long journeys (Newcastle to Southampton and back, via London), they've been pretty much identical, unlike our 2 Polo GTI+ we had previously where one was about 15% more efficient than the other.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rawws

Post by rawws »

Nice improvement in range , got my id3 early winter so next few months will be my first summer with it will see if it gets anywhere near the wltp range
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

I got an average of 4.5 miles per KWh last summer and 3.5 in the winter - dropping to 3 for short journeys. Did a short journey last Saturday when it was 19 degC and got 5.8 miles per KWh but that is unusual
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I haven't seen quite as much range improvement as I'd hoped I might yet. On long motorway journeys recently with the family I've seen 3.4 miles/kWh and on one occasion on my own I got 3.7. This is all about 0.4 better than I was getting at cold temps in January. 4+ remains way off for a long journey. I am seeing much better charging speeds though, so it's swings & roundabouts. I'm not finding it troublesome at all.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: ↑Tue May 03, 2022 7:24 pm I haven't seen quite as much range improvement as I'd hoped I might yet. On long motorway journeys recently with the family I've seen 3.4 miles/kWh and on one occasion on my own I got 3.7. This is all about 0.4 better than I was getting at cold temps in January. 4+ remains way off for a long journey. I am seeing much better charging speeds though, so it's swings & roundabouts. I'm not finding it troublesome at all.
Unless you're prepared to jostle with the trucks doing 60-65mph, you won't be getting 4+ miles per kWh on the motorway.

Sat at 70mph at 18 - 20C with no aircon, you'll be looking at 3.7 - 3.8 miles per kWh on a 100+ mile journey.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Been to Oxford and back last weekend - and Liverpool and back yesterday.
Sat at mostly 65mph to Oxford and back - got about 3.7m/kwh (12-15degrees)
70mph yesterday about 3.4-3.5 (bit warmer)

Only way I can get into the 4's is by sitting behind a truck at 90kph (56mph) which gets really really tedious... :D

I do wish the car had just a bit more capacity... a 65kwh battery would be the sweet spot for me. The 180 usable (not wanting to do a 100 > 0 run) range is fine - but not quite enough for a few of my journeys...

BTW - Oxford is really rubbish for public charging... but, managed to find a rapid charger in the centre (that was available) that was only 18p/kwh!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: ↑Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 am Been to Oxford and back last weekend - and Liverpool and back yesterday.
Sat at mostly 65mph to Oxford and back - got about 3.7m/kwh (12-15degrees)
70mph yesterday about 3.4-3.5 (bit warmer)

Only way I can get into the 4's is by sitting behind a truck at 90kph (56mph) which gets really really tedious... :D
Yes this is similar to my experience.
MotMot wrote: ↑Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 am
I do wish the car had just a bit more capacity... a 65kwh battery would be the sweet spot for me. The 180 usable (not wanting to do a 100 > 0 run) range is fine - but not quite enough for a few of my journeys...

BTW - Oxford is really rubbish for public charging... but, managed to find a rapid charger in the centre (that was available) that was only 18p/kwh!
What brand? I wonder if they have any other chargers. I think there is some huge park and ride charging hub being built at Oxford.

I was similarly lucky last weekend in Southampton. Had taken on enough at Banbury on the way down to just about get back there without an intermediate stop, but in Southampton centre I found that at least two car parks had six 22kw chargers provided completely free. They seemed to be underused even at the weekend so I charged right back to 90% at 11 kW for nothing (well, Β£4.50 for all-day city centre parking....).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The local Oxford council ones - run by EB (??).. there was a nice new install at a car-park ten min walk from where I was staying with 6 7kw posts and a rapid - but the rapid didn't work (and it was a diffferent price!).

All app based (ugh)...

We drove past the Fastned hub being built by the park and ride to the south - looked like it had a long way to go still...

I had a 'where can I charge' conversation with a dutch guy in a P* who was utterly confused how it all worked (there was a 1 hour limit where I charged - one other charger) that wasn't at all clear..

I did a splash and dash at Banbury - as I used 90-30% from manchester and wanted to have a bit to get back to Banbury on the way back - but ended up using all of what I took on and more with unexpected driving around Oxford and area.. so needed to take on a big charge on the city.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: ↑Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 am BTW - Oxford is really rubbish for public charging... but, managed to find a rapid charger in the centre (that was available) that was only 18p/kwh!

The bright spot for charging is Westgate which has 50+ chargers, though most are 7.4Kw and they're often full early on busy shopping days. The parking isn't cheap, but the charging is free.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
365allthetime

Post by 365allthetime »

Raxacorico wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:52 pm During a 900 mile jaunt recently, there was a cross-country section of winding roads, either B or A roads; I was very surprised (having never seen it before) to read 5.5 miles/Kwh!
It lasted for twenty minutes or so, before reaching a faster section. Temperatures were certainly not above 14C in mid-Wales.
Can you get info over such journeys? On the screen I have since start, long term and since charge which would mean I would have no log on a long trip as would have multiple stops (since start) and multiple charges?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The 'since start' data only resets if you have been stopped for a couple of hours (or if you manually reset it.)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Long Term resets also, so that would be your log for a trip. What is actually missing is the data for the Life of the car there is only the total mileage on the info screen.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 7:11 am Long Term resets also, so that would be your log for a trip. What is actually missing is the data for the Life of the car there is only the total mileage on the info screen.
My long term hasn't reset yet after 3k miles. In my Skoda it resets all the long term data after 9999 miles, perhaps the ID3 is the same?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 7:16 am
G43FAN wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 7:11 am Long Term resets also, so that would be your log for a trip. What is actually missing is the data for the Life of the car there is only the total mileage on the info screen.
My long term hasn't reset yet after 3k miles. In my Skoda it resets all the long term data after 9999 miles, perhaps the ID3 is the same?
Most VWs reset long term on time rather than mileage - 100 operational hours. This has been the case for every VW I've had since 2007 (8 of them). Haven't checked what the ID3 does, but I'd expect it to be the same.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 8:41 am
sidehaas wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 7:16 am
Most VWs reset long term on time rather than mileage - 100 operational hours. This has been the case for every VW I've had since 2007 (8 of them). Haven't checked what the ID3 does, but I'd expect it to be the same.
Don't know when it resets itself, but if you go into the Long Term screen and press the 0.0 on the right it resets. I have just passed 10k miles in total but my Long term is on 3k as I reset it manually.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I just did the school run and noticed our long term data is on 3400 miles, 108 hours and counting - so it doesn't reset after 100 hours. Not that it matters much but for the moment that is for the life of the car.