Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

duckworthsj wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:42 am The original post is 'on topic' IMHO because the poster is 1) comparing the ID3 to another VW group variant looking at styling and equipment. -helpful for people who might be considering the Cupra or ID3. 2) looking at potential impact of the new model on the 'hot-topic' of deliveries, covered widely on this Forum.
Surely there is no need for a posts made in ”Off Topic Chat…The place to discuss everything else” to be ‘on topic’. That’s my point, and that’s why I object to people wading into one of my threads, also posted in Off Topic Chat, telling me to take it elsewhere.

Anyway, let’s draw a line under it here so as not to ruin this thread.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

So in an idle moment I priced up a 77kw V2 born - which came in at £40300… this didn’t seem too bad compared to what a tour was when you could order them…

Really I’d like a 77kwh id3 but….
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

andrewparker wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:21 am Surprised you’re getting away with this thread. Maybe @Bromsgroveuser and @Newfie will be along shortly to tell you it’s off topic.
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm So in an idle moment I priced up a 77kw V2 born - which came in at £40300… this didn’t seem too bad compared to what a tour was when you could order them…

I think Born specs look like good value, they are slightly cheaper I think than the closest equivalent ID3 used to be. God knows when you'd get it though!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

MotMot wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm So in an idle moment I priced up a 77kw V2 born - which came in at £40300… this didn’t seem too bad compared to what a tour was when you could order them…

I honestly think if I was ordering now I’d choose the Born over the ID3. Some of the styling isn’t to my taste, but the interior looks better, the seats looks better, there’s the option to spec a better audio system, plus the 77kWh car still has 5 seats and the eBoost power upgrade.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

andrewparker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:20 pm

I honestly think if I was ordering now I’d choose the Born over the ID3. Some of the styling isn’t to my taste, but the interior looks better, the seats looks better, there’s the option to spec a better audio system, plus the 77kWh car still has 5 seats and the eBoost power upgrade.
Pretty sure the eboost is an extra paid option rather than standard (on both 58 and 77)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:38 pm
andrewparker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Pretty sure the eboost is an extra paid option rather than standard (on both 58 and 77)
Looks like it’s standard on the 77kWh, but optional on the 58kWh?
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

I'd go for the Cupra if I was ordering today. I like the sharper look and the interior looks better. But, there's no way I'd 'reset the clock' by switching now!
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I don’t think the 77kwh Born has five seats… I had a check and it was something like bench seat with centre separator etc.. happy to be wrong! Guess someone will find out in 18 months!

Edit - just read a review of it abs the pics certainly show 5 seats…
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

MotMot wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:31 pm I don’t think the 77kwh Born has five seats… I had a check and it was something like bench seat with centre separator etc.. happy to be wrong! Guess someone will find out in 18 months!

Heck knows. The Cupra website is clear as mud, all I can find is “Unsplit rear seat bench, split folding backrest, with centre armrest (77kWh battery only)”. A few review seem to show a proper bench, but that doesn’t necessarily mean UK cars will get 5 seats.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
daern

Post by daern »

MotMot wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:31 pm I don’t think the 77kwh Born has five seats… I had a check and it was something like bench seat with centre separator etc.. happy to be wrong! Guess someone will find out in 18 months!

My dealer confirmed this - the 77kWh variants only have 4 seats "due to space required for extra batteries". Not quite sure why, TBH - I have visions of a stack of batteries piled up to the roof in between the two rear passengers!
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

daern wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:26 am

My dealer confirmed this - the 77kWh variants only have 4 seats "due to space required for extra batteries". Not quite sure why, TBH - I have visions of a stack of batteries piled up to the roof in between the two rear passengers!
I don't get why other markets get the 77kWh ID3 with 5 seats, yet they only sell the 4 seat version in the UK.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 am I don't get why other markets get the 77kWh ID3 with 5 seats, yet they only sell the 4 seat version in the UK.
I think the 5 seater is a lower spec, so it may have less equipment weight?
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:01 pm

I think Born specs look like good value, they are slightly cheaper I think than the closest equivalent ID3 used to be. God knows when you'd get it though!
I just specced a 58kWh v1 added Pano roof and boot floor kit and it came out at £36k all bar a few quid. If I recall my Family was £34.4 list price.
No Matrix lights and No heated seats makes the Born look expensive to me.
daern

Post by daern »

Bengeo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:10 am
andrewparker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 am I don't get why other markets get the 77kWh ID3 with 5 seats, yet they only sell the 4 seat version in the UK.
I think the 5 seater is a lower spec, so it may have less equipment weight?
Actually, this is was indeed something else that they mentioned - the 77kWh Born can't be ordered with the panoramic sunroof as it would "exceed the weight limits of the base car", so I dare say that the reduction in seating capacity is probably for the same reason too. Odd if it was specific to the UK, but there's probably a good reason for it somewhere.
daern

Post by daern »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 am I just specced a 58kWh v1 added Pano roof and boot floor kit and it came out at £36k all bar a few quid. If I recall my Family was £34.4 list price.
My Born V2 would have been £34k at the point where I "ordered" it in Jan (it's a lease through a third party, so I've no idea how much they actually paid). It has the heated seats, loses the matrix headlights and panoramic roof, but gains the heads-up display and 19" alloys. You also get a bigger main screen and, I believe, faster rapid charging (120kW vs 100kW). I mourn the loss of the matrix headlights (which remain a VW-exclusive), but otherwise it's a bit of a toss-up.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 am

I just specced a 58kWh v1 added Pano roof and boot floor kit and it came out at £36k all bar a few quid. If I recall my Family was £34.4 list price.
Wasn't the Family £36960 list before they took it off sale? It will be interesting to see how VW tackle phasing in the other trim levels, if they ever do. Looking at the list price of the base model now, the higher specced trims are going to be £40k+ easily.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sorry, it seems I'd either slightly misremembered the Born prices or they have gone up slightly since I last looked. Andrew was also right about the eboost. Either way though, the specs are not bad. A V2 is only a small amount more than the my22 Family if you added 19in Andoyas (34975+1195 in August/September, it went up more in November), and the V2 comes with 19in wheels. It also has a HUD. So vs the old ID3 spec, you lose the roof, matrix lights but gain a HUD (and spend a bit more if you wouldn't have bought 19in wheels.) Personally I prefer the ID.3 but I'd definitely say the Born is now better value than the single spec ID3 you can order.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:17 am

Wasn't the Family £36960 list before they took it off sale? It will be interesting to see how VW tackle phasing in the other trim levels, if they ever do. Looking at the list price of the base model now, the higher specced trims are going to be £40k+ easily.
Maybe the Govt grant is muddying the waters. Still (and I know this is no longer the situation) the born looks expensive when I look at it given what I paid for mine. (IMHO)
daern

Post by daern »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:31 am Maybe the Govt grant is muddying the waters. Still (and I know this is no longer the situation) the born looks expensive when I look at it given what I paid for mine. (IMHO)
To be fair, they are all looking pretty expensive compared to cars ordered last year, but this probably applies to pretty much every car on the market. None of these cars were what I would have called "cheap" to start with, but with inflation-busting price rises and spec shrinkflation on the cards, they're all looking pretty bloody steep now. Makes your eyes water :/