Key not present warning.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I had been waiting in the car for a while to pick the family up, maybe 10 mins. When I pulled away the car came up with "key not present warning"
I expected at any moment the car to come to a grinding hault but it was fine but continued to flash the warning up for 4 or 5 minutes.
Anyone experienced that before?
Could it just be low batteries in the key? My car is now close to 17 months old and I tend not to rotate the 2 keys I have.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The key has a motion sensor in it - so you can’t do a relay break in or start (ie if the key is inside the house on a counter) - might be this?
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I occasionally find that I have time rearrange the contents of my pocket to get my car to see my key, I suspect the two RFID cards that I use for work together with the coins, keys and a small Swiss army knife are interfering with the signal.

It's normal for a car that's detected the key when starting then losing contact with it to continue to run as a safety thing. If you've genuinely lost the key it obviously won't re-start. I doubt it's a low battery problem, cars usually give a low battery warning in good time to remind you to change them.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
Busman

Post by Busman »

The key not present warning symbol is a feature of many VG models.It can appear for 2 reasons,(A) You have your fob buried in your pocket or purse/bag or(b)The battery needs replacing.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The key was in the centre console in the bottle holder. If it happens again I will swap with the spare key that is rarely used and that should eliminate the key itself being a problem. Maybe just a random glitch!
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
mechatony11

Post by mechatony11 »

I apologize for bringing up this old post. I also got the key not detected warning, it turned out that I had a problem with the battery, the voltage is below specifications. Search "Volkswagen Key not Detected Fix on YOUCANIC". You can read about it yourself. I hope that this information will help others who are dealing with the same problem.