Do you follow VW advice on battery charging?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

A related question: I have a long drive on Friday and will set off about 10am. What would be the real impact if I charged to 100% in the Octopus Go window? Ie have 100% charge from 04.30 to 10.00?
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.

Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 am A related question: I have a long drive on Friday and will set off about 10am. What would be the real impact if I charged to 100% in the Octopus Go window? Ie have 100% charge from 04.30 to 10.00?
I really wouldn't stress over doing it once.
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 am A related question: I have a long drive on Friday and will set off about 10am. What would be the real impact if I charged to 100% in the Octopus Go window? Ie have 100% charge from 04.30 to 10.00?
That is outside the Octopus Go window.
I personally would charge to say 85% up to the end of the Octopus Go window 4:30am and then put it on again at say 8am when I got up. It would then be at 100% when I set off at 10am.
But as a one off no real big deal.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
SwissBlue

Post by SwissBlue »

OK to charge to 100%, if you are going to use it, otherwise for daily use keep at 80%
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

No

I charge to 100% all the time

Mines on a 2 year company car lease so i dont care…..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Jonr37 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 am No

Care to quote the reg of the car so others are warned?
rawws

Post by rawws »

To be honest on mine have no home charger so I tend to charge when 5% level all the way to 100% . I intend to have the car for 3 years the battery depreciation is negligible. When I had ice car used to do the same fill up when nearly empty to fill tank full. The id3 or most evs currently don't have enough range to be be worrying and messing about with 40-80% charge only. If charge to 80% was 400miles plus in winter then makes sense to charge to 80%
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Jack1338

Post by Jack1338 »

Scratch wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:35 am

To play devils advocate here, surely that's going to be part of the risk of buying a used EV in the future - not knowing if the previous owner charged it as "recommended" by the manufacturer? The only difference here is OP has admitted to doing it.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Jack1338 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm

To play devils advocate here, surely that's going to be part of the risk of buying a used EV in the future - not knowing if the previous owner charged it as "recommended" by the manufacturer? The only difference here is OP has admitted to doing it.

And a similar risk as an ICE vehicle that's been flogged within an inch of its life. Everyone will eventually get over themselves about this potential kind of battery degradation in my opinion.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:55 pm
Jack1338 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm

And a similar risk as an ICE vehicle that's been flogged within an inch of its life. Everyone will eventually get over themselves about this potential kind of battery degradation in my opinion.
True,but it's a lot easier to check battery health than level of compression, bore wear etc. All new VAG models released since 2013 minimise abuse by limiting output until the engine oil reaches 70C, and there are arguments for driving a car mean during run in (once the oil is warm) to prevent glazed bores - leading to low mpg and high oil consumption. It's a possibility that used EVs will have battery health gradings that'll influence value similarly to mileage e.g. 2x 80k miles ID3s, one has 75% of original capacity because its been taken from 100% to 5% routinely, the other has 90% because its routinely done 80% to 20%.

That may not be an issue, we don't know for sure how much not following VWs recommendations will affect long term battery health. Those recommendations are primarily there to reduce the likelihood of VW needing to fix under warranty, based on their own battery stability testing.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Daveion wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:09 pm A practical range for day to day use doesn't have a bearing on the potential range when you need it.
You can set off at a 100% and run down to a level that suits your charging plans. That's still in the recommendations. You use the appropriate guidance for your specific journey. Just a different concept to an ICE.
I found, while on holiday this winter, that its simply impractical to follow the advice if you can't charge at your accommodation. The advice is that you can't leave it sat below 40% or above 80% in the winter, which means that you're regularly having to find a rapid charger instead of being able to top up once or twice over the course of a week. I started off with the best intentions, but ended up charging it to 100% when I had the opportunity, even if it was going to be sat over night (or longer) at over 80%, and not worrying if I was going to have to leave it sat over night at under 40%.

I'm hoping that giving it this kind of abuse for 1 or 2 weeks a year isn't going to cause significant problems - if it does cause significant degradation then I think the design is not really fit for purpose.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:11 am True,but it's a lot easier to check battery health than level of compression, bore wear etc.
Unfortunately the infotainment system won't let you access the battery's state of health, so it isn't exactly trivial for a buyer to check.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

SteveH wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:43 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:11 am True,but it's a lot easier to check battery health than level of compression, bore wear etc.
Unfortunately the infotainment system won't let you access the battery's state of health, so it isn't exactly trivial for a buyer to check.
You can get a lot of useful information with a £25 OBD dongle and a free app. This breaks down number of dc/ac charges - and the battery total capacity - though this is more a decent indication rather than a precise measurement. Also gives individual battery voltages - so you can see if there’s a duff pack/cells etc…
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

SteveH wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:40 pm
Daveion wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:09 pm A practical range for day to day use doesn't have a bearing on the potential range when you need it.
You can set off at a 100% and run down to a level that suits your charging plans. That's still in the recommendations. You use the appropriate guidance for your specific journey. Just a different concept to an ICE.
I found, while on holiday this winter, that its simply impractical to follow the advice if you can't charge at your accommodation. The advice is that you can't leave it sat below 40% or above 80% in the winter, which means that you're regularly having to find a rapid charger instead of being able to top up once or twice over the course of a week. I started off with the best intentions, but ended up charging it to 100% when I had the opportunity, even if it was going to be sat over night (or longer) at over 80%, and not worrying if I was going to have to leave it sat over night at under 40%.

I'm hoping that giving it this kind of abuse for 1 or 2 weeks a year isn't going to cause significant problems - if it does cause significant degradation then I think the design is not really fit for purpose.
As I said. Day to day practical use. I don't think the occassional deviation from recommended practice is a problem. If it was every day or week maybe there would be a measurable deterioration but still not significant. I don't think 1 or 2 weeks charging as you did was abuse, just not best practice.
Do you believe there was a risk of significant degradation?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Mikeysid3

Post by Mikeysid3 »

Yes
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Still awaiting my car but assume no more than 80% unless heading off on a trip and no less than 10%(?).
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mo1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 am Here's VWs advise page https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... ranty.html
Maybe I shouldn't start this query, but £338.10? For checking cables? What?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:37 am
Mo1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 am Here's VWs advise page https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... ranty.html
Maybe I shouldn't start this query, but £338.10? For checking cables? What?
Yes, but don't forget that EV servicing is cheaper than ICE servicing as there's no oil to change (VW say this, but given the ridiculous service prices quoted for ID3, not sure how they can justify what should be a £120 service for checking the springs, shocks, pad/disc condition, changing a pollen filter and kicking the tyres. Add £80 if a rest of the brake fluid deems a change necessary.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565