Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
Derekosb

Post by Derekosb »

Well by way of an update on my order I received a call from my dealer at the weekend to advise he had a build week for my Born. Week 23!! That is week commencing 30th May.

With shipping and delivery I could be looking at having my Born delivered by July!! Somewhat quicker than the original estimate of November I have to say but all the better for it as it will ensure my a better price when I sell my ID.3 tp pay for the Born.

I was somewhat shocked with that. Although he did still caveat with "that still may change" which I can't blame him for!

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Which version of the Born have you gone for, I have to say that to me you are getting a more expensive less well equipped car unless you have gone for the bigger battery and Boost options? (Which makes it even more surprising you've got a build date)
Derekosb

Post by Derekosb »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:35 am Which version of the Born have you gone for, I have to say that to me you are getting a more expensive less well equipped car unless you have gone for the bigger battery and Boost options? (Which makes it even more surprising you've got a build date)
I've ordered a 58 kWh V2 in Aurora Blue with pano roof and Tech Pack M. I am coming out of a Performance Pro Family ID.3 with Andoya's. The only real loss will be the Matrix headlights which are not a major issue for me. Otherwise I think the improvement in the looks and interior are worth the switch but it is a very subjective and personal choice and I understand not for everyone.

Others will prefer the ID.3, and I sincerely hope so since I will be selling mine!

D
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Derekosb wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 am
G43FAN wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:35 am Which version of the Born have you gone for, I have to say that to me you are getting a more expensive less well equipped car unless you have gone for the bigger battery and Boost options? (Which makes it even more surprising you've got a build date)
I've ordered a 58 kWh V2 in Aurora Blue with pano roof and Tech Pack M. I am coming out of a Performance Pro Family ID.3 with Andoya's. The only real loss will be the Matrix headlights which are not a major issue for me. Otherwise I think the improvement in the looks and interior are worth the switch but it is a very subjective and personal choice and I understand not for everyone.

Others will prefer the ID.3, and I sincerely hope so since I will be selling mine!

D
I ordered my Born V2 when the order books opened on March 16th and I have a build week 18 and estimated delivery mid June. I will be selling my ID.3 and hopefully make a reasonable profit against what I paid in Dec 20
daern

Post by daern »

Kaygee wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:01 pm I ordered my Born V2 when the order books opened on March 16th and I have a build week 18 and estimated delivery mid June. I will be selling my ID.3 and hopefully make a reasonable profit against what I paid in Dec 20
Great news. I've elbowed my lease company to see if they can see what options (if any) might be available with ours. Still currently sat in October, but we were originally quoted June/July, and this would certainly be much more convenient for us!

Looking forward to seeing some feedback from owners in the UK in the very near future :)
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
daern

Post by daern »

Well, unfortunately, when I checked my delivery date has gone back rather than forward which is pretty disappointing. Currently end of November, but I'll be extremely surprised if this is the last time it moves. Boo.
daern

Post by daern »

....aaaaand just had a call from the lease company to tell me that they have a build week from the dealer and the car will be with me in July. Very, very happy indeed now and can't wait to get my mitts on it!

Nice review here. He definitely likes it, especially the styling, but does say that he'd probably go for the higher power output version (even though, I think it's only a "boost" increase - i.e. probably the same motor as the regular car, overdriven for a few seconds). Anyway, good watch and the bit about the charging infrastructure is generically interesting:

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Fantastic news!
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

daern wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm ....Anyway, good watch and the bit about the charging infrastructure is generically interesting:

Not sure of this is your first EV? If so... don't worry too much about his comments on the charging infrastructure at the start of the video. He mentions always having problems with single charger sites... well unless you live in the quieter parts of Scotland there is absolutely no need to use them. The comments just show that he doesn't drive EVs very often yet. Golden rules in my opinion are when on a long journey outside your range:
(1) to stick to sites with 2+ chargers, or 3+ where possible, which is normal,
(2) stick to brands that take contactless and ideally just Instavolt, Osprey, MFG and Gridserve,
(3) Gridserve MSA sites with only a couple of chargers should be your last choice as they will be busy.
If you follow those simple rules you won't go wrong (well, I haven't had either a delay or a charger problem yet in around 20 rapid charges). It's all very straightforward and requires no apps etc to actually use the chargers (some are necessary for journey planning and some are useful for live usage data if you want it). Where there is a convenient high power hub/forecourt with 4+ chargers, use it, they are great. There is almost nowhere in England that is inaccessible using these networks following the rules I suggest above. Much of Scotland and Wales are more problematic.
(By all means use free supermarket podpoints or whatever when you are out and about to save cash, but don't rely on anything like that when you need it. )
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm ....aaaaand just had a call from the lease company to tell me that they have a build week from the dealer and the car will be with me in July. Very, very happy indeed now and can't wait to get my mitts on it!

Nice review here. He definitely likes it, especially the styling, but does say that he'd probably go for the higher power output version (even though, I think it's only a "boost" increase - i.e. probably the same motor as the regular car, overdriven for a few seconds). Anyway, good watch and the bit about the charging infrastructure is generically interesting:

It's a boost increase, but it only needs to be. Most higher powered variants of Golf GTI (like the clubsport and TCR) have a 10 second boost, but even with only 10 seconds of boost, you'll be up to 80/85mph from a standing start, plenty.

I like everything about that car except the bronze accents - hate them inside and out, I would have to wrap them all with something silver/gunmetal.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
daern

Post by daern »

sidehaas wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm Not sure of this is your first EV? If so... don't worry too much about his comments on the charging infrastructure at the start of the video. He mentions always having problems with single charger sites... well unless you live in the quieter parts of Scotland there is absolutely no need to use them. The comments just show that he doesn't drive EVs very often yet. Golden rules in my opinion are when on a long journey outside your range:
(1) to stick to sites with 2+ chargers, or 3+ where possible, which is normal,
(2) stick to brands that take contactless and ideally just Instavolt, Osprey, MFG and Gridserve,
(3) Gridserve MSA sites with only a couple of chargers should be your last choice as they will be busy.
If you follow those simple rules you won't go wrong (well, I haven't had either a delay or a charger problem yet in around 20 rapid charges). It's all very straightforward and requires no apps etc to actually use the chargers (some are necessary for journey planning and some are useful for live usage data if you want it). Where there is a convenient high power hub/forecourt with 4+ chargers, use it, they are great. There is almost nowhere in England that is inaccessible using these networks following the rules I suggest above. Much of Scotland and Wales are more problematic.
(By all means use free supermarket podpoints or whatever when you are out and about to save cash, but don't rely on anything like that when you need it. )
Yes, definitely my first EV and thank you for this - it's incredibly useful! As this car is mostly my wife's commuting car, I doubt we'll do a lot of "charge away from home" journeys, but I dare say we'll want to take advantage of the cheaper cost to do so from time to time.

One question, if you don't mind - what app do you use to allow you to choose specific chargers according to their brands as stated above?
daern

Post by daern »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm It's a boost increase, but it only needs to be. Most higher powered variants of Golf GTI (like the clubsport and TCR) have a 10 second boost, but even with only 10 seconds of boost, you'll be up to 80/85mph from a standing start, plenty.
Mmmm, makes sense. £800 extra on the list price though, so if the rest of the car and drivetrain is the same, it's a bloody expensive button! Bit of a shame they've not put it on all models, but ho hum.
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm I like everything about that car except the bronze accents - hate them inside and out, I would have to wrap them all with something silver/gunmetal.
I rather like it in the flesh, but I've yet to see the colour we ordered ("Cheap Grey" :) ) so remains to be seen how it looks on this. Might be dreadful :)
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Just need to find the OBD eleven code to make it boost… 😁
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:14 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm It's a boost increase, but it only needs to be. Most higher powered variants of Golf GTI (like the clubsport and TCR) have a 10 second boost, but even with only 10 seconds of boost, you'll be up to 80/85mph from a standing start, plenty.
Mmmm, makes sense. £800 extra on the list price though, so if the rest of the car and drivetrain is the same, it's a bloody expensive button! Bit of a shame they've not put it on all models, but ho hum.
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm I like everything about that car except the bronze accents - hate them inside and out, I would have to wrap them all with something silver/gunmetal.
I rather like it in the flesh, but I've yet to see the colour we ordered ("Cheap Grey" :) ) so remains to be seen how it looks on this. Might be dreadful :)
I did read somewhere that the motor in ID3 (and presumably, ID4, Born etc.) is only rated for 70kW continuous, and everything above that is considered boost.

Given the top speed limitations (can't remember off the top of my head, but around 100mph), maintaining that once you accelerate to it won't draw 70kW per hour (on the flat, naintaining 70mph takes about 20kW per hour)..

I'm guessing the boosted variants won't have beefier wiring between battery and motor for the temporary higher draw under boost, and if that's the case, no reason why all 204ps motors couldn't be boosted if VW were to allow it.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

daern wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:07 am
One question, if you don't mind - what app do you use to allow you to choose specific chargers according to their brands as stated above?
ABRP and Zapmap both allow you to filter on charger brands. Wattsup doesn't give you a filter for that but its standard map display makes it obvious what brand each site is.
The apps have different benefits so it's worth having a play with each of these three to see which you prefer. I prefer the wattsup interface but zapmap is useful to see user comments on charge points and ABRP can be useful to check you haven't missed any good options when route planning. Note that wattsup only shows rapids, zapmap also does 'fast' (ie really slow AC) chargers.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
daern

Post by daern »

sidehaas wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:23 am
daern wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:07 am
ABRP and Zapmap both allow you to filter on charger brands. Wattsup doesn't give you a filter for that but its standard map display makes it obvious what brand each site is.
The apps have different benefits so it's worth having a play with each of these three to see which you prefer. I prefer the wattsup interface but zapmap is useful to see user comments on charge points and ABRP can be useful to check you haven't missed any good options when route planning. Note that wattsup only shows rapids, zapmap also does 'fast' (ie really slow AC) chargers.
Thank you, that's very useful indeed.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Had ours a few days now, have to say it’s better than I ever expected.

Ride is firm but fair and whole car is so solid from closing doors to driving over rough roads, handling is very good too, sticks to the twisty bits like glue.

Tech is working well, love the adaptive cruise especially when it’s linked to road signs, even slows to go around bad corners and roundabout’s, probably you have this on id3 too.

Every time I’ve been out someone has come to ask questions, what is it to wow it looks amazing, never driven a car that gets so much attention.
Cupra Born V2 in Vapar Grey 58kw
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

8047E564-2068-4F92-B001-FEC64FB47096.jpeg

6BA307AD-EE07-45DE-BC33-0C53EA4FCE84.jpeg

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

The bad bits,
No rear speakers, can’t get car x2 to work, no travel assist, no copper option for none e boost on wheels, but that’s about it.
daern

Post by daern »

Looks absolutely amazing!

At a guess from the wheels, I think that's a V2 - exactly the same (and same colour) as the one we've got on order, so glad to hear that you like it so much. Slightly disappointed that there's no rear speakers - the Born should, in theory, have 5 speakers so was hoping that, unlike the ID.3, it would have rear speakers out of the box. I guess all 5 speakers are in the front - a solid VAG design decision if ever there was one :-)

Very glad you like it and you've made me look forward to my own all the more.