Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm going to have to see one in the flesh, but going off the pictures I've seen, comparison to ID3:

1. I prefer the back end of the ID3, not hugely.

2. Not keen on the C pillar mouldings of the Born (or the stickers on 1st edition ID3) to create a floating roof effect, Lots of other cars doing this right now, mainly Peugeots and Vauxhalls, but also the current Nissan Leaf. Don't dislike it enough to put me off.

3. I do prefer the front end of the Born, as I suspect most people will, the lack of bonnet hump makes it look a lot more streamlined.

4. Interior - I do like the bucket seats, a lot. Having come from a string of VW hot hatches, I do miss the look and substantial side bolsters on the seat base, but to be honest, you can't see the seat you're sat on, it's more of a kerb appeal situation. Console layout differences? I'm not bothered either way.

5. Bronze embellishments - I really don't like these, inside or out - give me gunmetal or brushed/shiny chrome any day. Could it grow on me? Possibly.

6. Wheel options - more choice on the Born. The 20" look best, but I fear that if you go v3, with 20" wheels, you might need to opt for DCC to soften the blow. That being said, sometimes VAG does work miracles - my 2015 Golf R on 19" Pretorias had a comfier ride than a Golf GTI on 18" wheels, some real suspension/damping wizardry going on there.

7. Lack of Matrix headlights on the Born. Some people rave about the matrix headlights, but I think they only really come into their own on unlit country roads. I don't have them on my ID3 Life, but the missus does on her ID3 Family- I can't say that I wished I had them.

I don't think any of the above would persuade me to change my ID3 unless opting for the 230ps boost variant, and that in itself is a big enticement for me.

Not entirely sure how the boost activates - do you press the boost button when you want to use it? If so, that's a bit of forethought that doesn't lend itself to a split second decision. Or perhaps you press it once at the start of every journey and it gives you 6 or 10 seconds of boost which you can't dip into again for a predetermined time (this is hoe the boost option works on the higher output variants of the MK7.5 Golf GTI e.g. Clubsport/TCR.

I'm definitely going to enquire about V2 and V3 in 230ps/58kWh variant.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The larger centre screen would be nice to have… but not a deal breaker for me.

I too prefer the bonnet line - but am less of a fan of the bronze bits.

I’d also at this stage be a little careful of the dealer network ability to handle faults. VW dealers have 2 years experience now of working with id3’s - and it’s still patchy from what I’ve heard.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm going to satisfy my curiosity next week with a test drive at Pulman Cupra, Sunderland.

I've bought more than a few VWs from Pulman VW Sunderland in the past, and they are my go to servicing and warranty dealership, even though I have a Lookers VW dealership 2 miles from me (who have been quite poor over the years). Doubt they'll offer anything off the Cupra (they used to be not too far off Drivethedeal prices, but Cupra Born isn't on there right now), but as we say around here "Shy Bairns get nowt". Even if its just a modest saving like a wheel upgrade or free metallic paint.

They have a 230ps V2 for me to drive next Thurs (I'm away down to London from tomorrow to Weds with the wife and kids), so i'll see it in the flesh and see how it goes with respect to appraising the performance uplift from my current 204ps Pro-performance Life and the interior/exterior differences.

Looking between V2 and V3, it all seems to be about the seat adjustability, alcantara instead of the Seaqual seat cloth and having 20" alloys instead of 19" for the extra money. I'm pretty sure that the 12 way electric adjustment doesn't include memory for multiple drivers, so would be more of a faff to get the missus to jump in and change seat and back again for when I next drive. Not sure i'd be tempted to pay over V2 for what V3 offers.

Looking at the configurator, if tempted to change, I think i'd be going for :-

V2 230ps/58kWh, either Glacial white or Raleigh red (presumably Quasar Grey is ID3 Manganese Grey, and we already have one of those), The Aurora blue looks ok, but shouldn't cost any more than any other metallic paint, so i'd feel a bit ripped off in choosing it. No options apart from possibly tempted by Beats Audio, presumably the subwoofer (which I wouldn't be making much use of- presumably it sits in the recess under the boot trim where I have my type 2 cable currently). I'd have to be sure that its placement and the "luggage compartment lining" wouldn't affect the ability of the dog to sit on top.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

That Raleigh red looks good - I think it works better with the copper trim too.
Let us know what the eboost is like. If you have to press a button every time you want to use it that would put me off I think :oS
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:45 am That Raleigh red looks good - I think it works better with the copper trim too.
Let us know what the eboost is like. If you have to press a button every time you want to use it that would put me off I think :oS
Hopefully you press it once per journey and that's it, otherwise it's a completely useless gimmick. They've no need to have the button at all - just tie boost to Sport mode (or add a "race" mode like my Golf R had) and tie the boost to that. On the boosted Golf it's 6 seconds of boost with no reboost within 40 seconds.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 pm
sidehaas wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:45 am That Raleigh red looks good - I think it works better with the copper trim too.
Hopefully you press it once per journey and that's it, otherwise it's a completely useless gimmick. They've no need to have the button at all - just tie boost to Sport mode (or add a "race" mode like my Golf R had) and tie the boost to that. On the boosted Golf it's 6 seconds of boost with no reboost within 40 seconds.
Yes it should be easy to implement and they could indicate via the normal power bar in the id 3 (which I assume the Born has) - just show power at 85% until it's ready to go again.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I thought I read that the larger screen was the same resolution, so unless you struggle to see the ID's screen, I can't see any advantage?

I do like the Born, but I don't see it as much different, some of the reviews talk about it as if it's a ground up different car. (Petrol Ped review was laughable and at 10 mins he gave the game away as was basically begging Cupra to lend him a car) I'd like to know whether the handling was any different or whether it was perceived as different due to the sports seats holding you a bit more firmly. I think it's expensive but then they all are now compared to what I paid. The Matrix lights is a huge no for me, I had them on my Tiguan (albeit an earlier generation to those I have now) and they were one of my must haves when replacing the Tig.

The boost function I can't see as anthing other than a gimmick, and at 2+ tonnes these really aren't sports cars and referring to the Born as the ID GTI? (as has been done in reviews) really?
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I’ve copied this from a post on PH. Thought the comparison from a current ID.3 owner was quite interesting.

“We had an i3, now have an ID3 and have a Cupra on order, but the longer range 77kwh battery version that gives us the range we want / need, c340 WLTP

The Cupra is a much much better steer than the ID3, and surprisingly nimble and agile, its no Type R but not many things are.

Its a well rounded car, looks great in the dark blue (Aurora i think its called) and the interiors ia huge step up from the ID3.”
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 pm
The boost function I can't see as anthing other than a gimmick, and at 2+ tonnes these really aren't sports cars and referring to the Born as the ID GTI? (as has been done in reviews) really?
For the 230ps variant with the official 0-62mph time reduced significantly from 7.3*s to 6.6s, it's probably a bit easier to think of as "the GTI of ID" than the other ones with the same 204ps output as the ID3 pro performance, but as they're not shouting about any dynamic driving changes, I suspect there's no difference to the suspension set-up to enhance handling vs ID3.

I'm looking purely from the perspective of how much quicker the 230ps unit is or feels, although I won't be able to get it to my place to measure comparative performance, but there does seem absolutely no need for a button to instigate boost.

*I do think that the official figures for the 204ps ID3 pro performance are very conservative. I have a comparative performance measurement on a dual carriageway near me - I enter at 20mph and floor it until I pass a certain sign and see what the speed is, and our ID3s are every bit as quick as our "6.6s" 2018 Polo GTI is from a rolling start, and significantly quicker from a standing start as the Polo tramped like hell:-

2007 Golf GT TDI 170 PD = 79mph
2009 Scirocco GT TDI 140 CR = 77mph
2011 Scirocco GT TDI 170 CR = 81mph
2013 Golf GTD 184ps = 83mph
2013 Golf GTD (chipped to 240ps = 89mph
2015 Golf R 300ps = 94mph
2018 Polo GTI+ 200ps = 85mph
2019 Polo GTI+ GPF = 84mph
2021 ID3 Life 204ps = 85mph
2021 ID3 Family 204ps = 84mph (this feels faster from the off than the Life, but less eager mid range, odd, as they're supposed to be identical)

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

andrewparker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:21 pm I’ve copied this from a post on PH. Thought the comparison from a current ID.3 owner was quite interesting.

“We had an i3, now have an ID3 and have a Cupra on order, but the longer range 77kwh battery version that gives us the range we want / need, c340 WLTP

The Cupra is a much much better steer than the ID3, and surprisingly nimble and agile, its no Type R but not many things are.

Its a well rounded car, looks great in the dark blue (Aurora i think its called) and the interiors ia huge step up from the ID3.”
If they are basing that comparison on a 58kWh ID3, and a 77kWh Born, i'd be surprised at the Born being more agile, seeing as that extra weight of the 77kWh pack is pushing towards an extra 200kg, and you can see the significant difference on the official figures that extra battery gives: 204ps/58kWh Born = 7.3s (0-62), 230ps/58kWh = 6.6s, 230ps/77kWh = 7.0s. I really do doubt there's a difference, more likely they have the ID3 steering on comfort mode and test drove the Born in Sport mode, or familiarity of the ID3 they own vs rose tinted glasses on the Born test drive.

It'll be interesting to see one in the flesh on Thursday.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Battery Life had a 58kwh Born for a week (and a different one for a day) and reported the drive was identical to his ID3 first edition. No difference at all in either suspension, steering or ride height. I'd say that's more reliable than a guy on pistonheads who had a test drive. The 77 kWh will undoubtedly drive worse in the bends.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:35 pm
andrewparker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:21 pm I’ve copied this from a post on PH. Thought the comparison from a current ID.3 owner was quite interesting.

If they are basing that comparison on a 58kWh ID3, and a 77kWh Born, i'd be surprised at the Born being more agile, seeing as that extra weight of the 77kWh pack is pushing towards an extra 200kg, and you can see the significant difference on the official figures that extra battery gives: 204ps/58kWh Born = 7.3s (0-62), 230ps/58kWh = 6.6s, 230ps/77kWh = 7.0s. I really do doubt there's a difference, more likely they have the ID3 steering on comfort mode and test drove the Born in Sport mode, or familiarity of the ID3 they own vs rose tinted glasses on the Born test drive.

It'll be interesting to see one in the flesh on Thursday.
Yes, I thought the same. I’m hoping they’ve not driven the 58kWh Born and are going to be disappointed when they receive their 77kWh car. Saying that, I’ve no idea if a Tour is any less nimble feeling than a Max for example.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

daern wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:53 pm Looks absolutely amazing!

At a guess from the wheels, I think that's a V2 - exactly the same (and same colour) as the one we've got on order, so glad to hear that you like it so much. Slightly disappointed that there's no rear speakers - the Born should, in theory, have 5 speakers so was hoping that, unlike the ID.3, it would have rear speakers out of the box. I guess all 5 speakers are in the front - a solid VAG design decision if ever there was one :-)

Very glad you like it and you've made me look forward to my own all the more.
Hey, for some reason this morning Facebook wanted to show me a group called 'Cupra Born UK' and I was reminded of this thread. There seem to be lots of people on there who have had Borns delivered recently so I thought you might be interested.
P.s. 5 speaker system in the ID3 is the same. 2*tweeter, 2* front door, 1 in the middle I think.
daern

Post by daern »

sidehaas wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:00 am Hey, for some reason this morning Facebook wanted to show me a group called 'Cupra Born UK' and I was reminded of this thread. There seem to be lots of people on there who have had Borns delivered recently so I thought you might be interested.
P.s. 5 speaker system in the ID3 is the same. 2*tweeter, 2* front door, 1 in the middle I think.
Thanks - great to see more cars being delivered. It brings me hope that I might see my own before the summer is gone completely.

Disappointed with the speakers and thinking now that I should have taken the audio upgrade option. Oh well, it's only the kids that sit in the back and they always have headphones plugged in anyway!
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Test drive today...

I didn't get to test drive the 230ps V2, I only got to see it. Apparently it is still stuck in transport mode and didn't complete its PDI, so I couldn't drive it. They reckon it will be sorted next week, so i'm testing next Saturday.

So the next best thing was to take out their V1 in the red metallic - looked great in the sunlight, and seeing as its 58kWh, on 18" alloys and 204ps, it serves as a direct comparison to the Life Pro Performance, so I had it out for 40 mins.

Ride/Handling - Its exactly the same, or possibly marginally worse than my ID3. I pushed it hard around a slight curve onto a sliproad and up on to the A19 dual carriageway, and it struggled on the curve. Not something I do regularly with the ID3, so not exactly sure it took it worse than the ID3 would've, but it was certainly no better in handling or ride comfort.

Door Cards - Not sure where the talk of better interior plastics comes from with the journalists. The door cards are exactly the same, that semi hard pressing that manages to look matt, unlike most hard plastics that look glossy in a bad way. The pressed patterns are a little different. Whereas the ID3 gets a bit of seat trim type material leading into the piano black grab, the Born gets alcantara padding leading into flat grey plain plastic that serves as an extension of the door card plastic, separated by a copper ring. The Born also doesn't get the felt cloth lining of the bottom of the door pocket. The rear doors get no Alcantara padding whereas the ID3 rear doors have everything the fronts do. For me, the ID3 has had a bit more money spent on the door cards (the back doors, for sure).

Dash - The Born has less soft foamy plastics and more hard painted plastic sections mimicking metal across the front end, like BMW has. I didn't mind it, different, but no better or worse either way IMO. Above the drivers info screen and housing the lighting control panel on the Born is a bit weird, it's cloth and looks to me like a giant neck pillow you'd want with you to sleep on a long haul flight. One of those things you can't unsee.

Infotainment screen - Noticeably bigger, but no more user friendly for it. Graphics/fonts reminded me of Audi S3 style. Completely different accessibility to functions but I found what I needed eventually.

Steering wheel - slightly different feel to the buttons, the left and right side pad have a lot more play/wobbliness than those on the ID3's steering wheel. I was mashing the volume buttons furiously to no effect as the manager whose car it was had left it blasting. I ended up using the slider below the infotainment screen to turn the volume down. Later in the drive, by accident, I realised that the volume controls weren't broken, they don't work by press-touch, they work by sliding your finger across them in an upward or downward stroke to turn up or down.

Seats - One piece sports seats, look the part, no more or less comfy than the ID3's, and seemed ideally sized for me (5'11") - if you were very short or very tall, head support might not be great (but that is a "might"). The all electric variants in the V3 trim are supposed to be fully adjustable for lumbar etc, but don't know if they have driver setting memory.

Centre console/armrest - There's no room between the front 2 seats, you definitely feel a bit more hemmed in as the centre console is a lot higher and wider than the ID3s. In reality, that extra space in the ID3 can't be utilised for anything else, and the traditional single big pad armrest is a lot better for the driver to rest their left arm than the skinny airline style plastic armrests on the ID3. If compatible with the main ID3's central console, I would seriously consider a retrofit of it, if it didn't look daft, with the ID3's own armrests still in place.

Pretty much everywhere inside the Born, where there was piano black (including the drive selection - D/B/N/R), you have plain dark grey door-card type plastic, some textured, some not,

Boot - Same size and shape as the ID3's. The boot lid folding badge was much smaller than the ID3's, less comfortable to grip and felt really flimsy in use, as if it wouldn't stand up to long term opening and closing of that heavy boot lid. That was really surprising. I don't think the rear camera is built into the handle like it is on the Born, I think it's exposed all the time, so it can get mucky.

External looks - I do worry that those glossy sill extensions might get scuffed in use vs the matt finish of the ID3s, but they look fine. I didn't find the C-Pillar cut-out detailing offensive at all in the flesh, and I marginally prefer the ID3's back end from a face on profile, but not from the side (the Born's is a bit more "pointy" to look more aggressive). The front end is undoubtedly tidier and more aggressive, with a bit of a snarly face - what's not to like?

So, given the 230ps variant wasn't available to test, did I place my order?

Nope, I don't think that like-for like the Born's any better, and if the performance gains of the 230ps variant aren't that noticeable, i'll keep my ID3. Judgement reserved on the performance until I get to drive it.

Positives: better looking seats, I prefer the Born's centre console, slightly bigger infotanment screen, nicer front end.

Neutral: Same ride/handling capabilities, different dash layout is generally no better or worse, just different.

Negatives: Boot handle opening felt small/uncomfortable to use/flimsy, The neck cushion on the dash, the copper/bronze accents (why not give a gun metal option?).

I was quoted 18 - 30 weeks from order to delivery, and given the upper limit of 30 weeks, they wouldn't give me a firm p/x value for my ID3, but the "today" value was about £1000 south of the Motorway price being quoted (without actual dealer bids taking place, nor taking into account the optioned alloy wheels). I suppose they may be wary of the current used car price bubble bursting, and that's quite a consideration for me.

Even if the strangled supply of parts doesn't improve in the next 30 weeks, are used prices going to take a dive to correct themselves?

We've come out of Covid with everyone itching to spend some money on a new (or newer) car, and being faced with a ridiculous wait for a new one. As a result we've seen the crazy situation of people paying next to list price for a year old car. Now we're all facing a squeeze on living costs - the price of almost everything we buy has shot up, especially food and energy prices for the house have doubled and will increase again in October, interest rates up and squeezing us with higher mortgage payments - does make me wonder if everyone is about to tighten their belts and see used prices drop.

The proposed car change only makes sense to me if I can get the current mad used prices. My current cost to change is looking at about £4k - if that opens up to £8k, then i'd forget it.

Born4.jpg

Born2.jpg

born1.jpg

Born 3.jpg

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Nice review, thanks MH..
You've echoed and confirmed a lot of my thoughts, including the retro fit on the centre console.
The lack of Matrix lights is also a huge no for me though getting them on any car is seemingly difficult currently.
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

The lead times can't be right can they - 18-30 weeks? I read on the UK ID3 Facebook group that ID3s are being quoted as up to 18 months. You would think Cupra would have similar time lines?

But - really helpful review. There are three things I like about the Cupra Born (without having test driving one); (1) the sharper front end look, (2) the centre console and (3) the seats. If I could be guaranteed I would receive a Born before my ID3 I would think about ordering one. But that's not going to happen so I'm sticking with my current order.
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Don’t the MY23 id3’s have those seats and a revised interior too?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am Don’t the MY23 id3’s have those seats and a revised interior too?
How revised is the interior though? They've got to maintain some individuality between the 2 cars, and the Born door cards most definitely aren't plusher than the ID3's, neither's the dash. It's all in the seats (if they do become standard or optional, and the armrest/centre console. I don't think we'll know for sure until we see a MY23 in the flesh. I personally think we might see the seats as an option, get the larger infotainment screen, and that's it. Any bigger changes than that would be seen at the midlife facelift, with MY23 seemingly too early for that.

duncsand

Post by duncsand »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:07 pm Test drive today...

I didn't get to test drive the 230ps V2, I only got to see it. Apparently it is still stuck in transport mode and didn't complete its PDI, so I couldn't drive it. They reckon it will be sorted next week, so i'm testing next Saturday.

So the next best thing was to take out their V1 in the red metallic - looked great in the sunlight, and seeing as its 58kWh, on 18" alloys and 204ps, it serves as a direct comparison to the Life Pro Performance, so I had it out for 40 mins.

Ride/Handling - Its exactly the same, or possibly marginally worse than my ID3. I pushed it hard around a slight curve onto a sliproad and up on to the A19 dual carriageway, and it struggled on the curve. Not something I do regularly with the ID3, so not exactly sure it took it worse than the ID3 would've, but it was certainly no better in handling or ride comfort.

Door Cards - Not sure where the talk of better interior plastics comes from with the journalists. The door cards are exactly the same, that semi hard pressing that manages to look matt, unlike most hard plastics that look glossy in a bad way. The pressed patterns are a little different. Whereas the ID3 gets a bit of seat trim type material leading into the piano black grab, the Born gets alcantara padding leading into flat grey plain plastic that serves as an extension of the door card plastic, separated by a copper ring. The Born also doesn't get the felt cloth lining of the bottom of the door pocket. The rear doors get no Alcantara padding whereas the ID3 rear doors have everything the fronts do. For me, the ID3 has had a bit more money spent on the door cards (the back doors, for sure).

Dash - The Born has less soft foamy plastics and more hard painted plastic sections mimicking metal across the front end, like BMW has. I didn't mind it, different, but no better or worse either way IMO. Above the drivers info screen and housing the lighting control panel on the Born is a bit weird, it's cloth and looks to me like a giant neck pillow you'd want with you to sleep on a long haul flight. One of those things you can't unsee.

Infotainment screen - Noticeably bigger, but no more user friendly for it. Graphics/fonts reminded me of Audi S3 style. Completely different accessibility to functions but I found what I needed eventually.

Steering wheel - slightly different feel to the buttons, the left and right side pad have a lot more play/wobbliness than those on the ID3's steering wheel. I was mashing the volume buttons furiously to no effect as the manager whose car it was had left it blasting. I ended up using the slider below the infotainment screen to turn the volume down. Later in the drive, by accident, I realised that the volume controls weren't broken, they don't work by press-touch, they work by sliding your finger across them in an upward or downward stroke to turn up or down.

Seats - One piece sports seats, look the part, no more or less comfy than the ID3's, and seemed ideally sized for me (5'11") - if you were very short or very tall, head support might not be great (but that is a "might"). The all electric variants in the V3 trim are supposed to be fully adjustable for lumbar etc, but don't know if they have driver setting memory.

Centre console/armrest - There's no room between the front 2 seats, you definitely feel a bit more hemmed in as the centre console is a lot higher and wider than the ID3s. In reality, that extra space in the ID3 can't be utilised for anything else, and the traditional single big pad armrest is a lot better for the driver to rest their left arm than the skinny airline style plastic armrests on the ID3. If compatible with the main ID3's central console, I would seriously consider a retrofit of it, if it didn't look daft, with the ID3's own armrests still in place.

Pretty much everywhere inside the Born, where there was piano black (including the drive selection - D/B/N/R), you have plain dark grey door-card type plastic, some textured, some not,

Boot - Same size and shape as the ID3's. The boot lid folding badge was much smaller than the ID3's, less comfortable to grip and felt really flimsy in use, as if it wouldn't stand up to long term opening and closing of that heavy boot lid. That was really surprising. I don't think the rear camera is built into the handle like it is on the Born, I think it's exposed all the time, so it can get mucky.

External looks - I do worry that those glossy sill extensions might get scuffed in use vs the matt finish of the ID3s, but they look fine. I didn't find the C-Pillar cut-out detailing offensive at all in the flesh, and I marginally prefer the ID3's back end from a face on profile, but not from the side (the Born's is a bit more "pointy" to look more aggressive). The front end is undoubtedly tidier and more aggressive, with a bit of a snarly face - what's not to like?

So, given the 230ps variant wasn't available to test, did I place my order?

Nope, I don't think that like-for like the Born's any better, and if the performance gains of the 230ps variant aren't that noticeable, i'll keep my ID3. Judgement reserved on the performance until I get to drive it.

Positives: better looking seats, I prefer the Born's centre console, slightly bigger infotanment screen, nicer front end.

Neutral: Same ride/handling capabilities, different dash layout is generally no better or worse, just different.

Negatives: Boot handle opening felt small/uncomfortable to use/flimsy, The neck cushion on the dash, the copper/bronze accents (why not give a gun metal option?).

I was quoted 18 - 30 weeks from order to delivery, and given the upper limit of 30 weeks, they wouldn't give me a firm p/x value for my ID3, but the "today" value was about £1000 south of the Motorway price being quoted (without actual dealer bids taking place, nor taking into account the optioned alloy wheels). I suppose they may be wary of the current used car price bubble bursting, and that's quite a consideration for me.

Even if the strangled supply of parts doesn't improve in the next 30 weeks, are used prices going to take a dive to correct themselves?

We've come out of Covid with everyone itching to spend some money on a new (or newer) car, and being faced with a ridiculous wait for a new one. As a result we've seen the crazy situation of people paying next to list price for a year old car. Now we're all facing a squeeze on living costs - the price of almost everything we buy has shot up, especially food and energy prices for the house have doubled and will increase again in October, interest rates up and squeezing us with higher mortgage payments - does make me wonder if everyone is about to tighten their belts and see used prices drop.

The proposed car change only makes sense to me if I can get the current mad used prices. My current cost to change is looking at about £4k - if that opens up to £8k, then i'd forget it.

Born4.jpg
Hmm, I don’t dispute any of the details you’ve focussed on, but I do think that by going into those details the bigger, more subjective, picture has been missed. To me the Born’s interior feels subjectively more premium. My wife was very unimpressed with the id.3 interior, but I ordered one anyway. On getting into a Born her immediate reaction was “this is really nice”, so we both had a similar reaction. Of course the born has a bit more of a “boy racer” style, whereas the id.3 is more “middle class” for want of a better description - so some may like one or other for those reasons. But to both myself and my wife the Born has a more premium feeling. Really it’s subjective, but the emotional reaction is was real.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.