Sat nav destinations from We Connect app

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I tried this yesterday by defining a route in the app, and sending it to the car. VW do say that it's still being worked on and not to rely that the route has actually been picked up by the car. But, if it did succeed in reaching the car, where do we think it would be saved to in the car's sat nav? I can't find it, so assume it just failed.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I think it arrives as a pop up.. can't remember, but unfortunately it takes hours to come through. (In my experience)
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Indeed I think it’s a pop up and indeed it takes hours!
Not reliably useable or useful at present.
A shame.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I sent a destination to the car one night last week and it came up as a pop-up with the option to navigate to it when I got in the car the next day at 7am. That was fine for me but don't know when it was first available in the car.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It's been variable how long it has taken with me, anything from a couple of hours to the next day. If you want it to work for a long trip, it's definitely worth sending it well in advance! This is something they need to fix.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

When you say it appears as a pop up, is that on any screen layout or the sat nav screen? And if you don’t select the pop up, does it remain on screen or disappear? Just interested in case mine works one day.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:23 pm When you say it appears as a pop up, is that on any screen layout or the sat nav screen? And if you don’t select the pop up, does it remain on screen or disappear? Just interested in case mine works one day.
I'm not completely sure about the first question but I can answer the second, sort of. The pop up gives you the option to save the destination, open it or close I think. I once clicked open but then impatiently pressed something else while it was loading; the whole thing was then lost and I couldn't get it back. You need to press save.

P.s. it always seems to come up when starting the car, not mid journey. So the need to deal with the pop-up isn't a major issue.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:34 pm
Scratch wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:23 pm When you say it appears as a pop up, is that on any screen layout or the sat nav screen? And if you don’t select the pop up, does it remain on screen or disappear? Just interested in case mine works one day.
I'm not completely sure about the first question but I can answer the second, sort of. The pop up gives you the option to save the destination, open it or close I think. I once clicked open but then impatiently pressed something else while it was loading; the whole thing was then lost and I couldn't get it back. You need to press save.

P.s. it always seems to come up when starting the car, not mid journey. So the need to deal with the pop-up isn't a major issue.
I can't remember the detail exactly but I think it was when the infotainment started up. There was definitely an option to 'save' the destination and one to 'close/ignore' and one to 'open' I think, which when selected showed the destination in the satnav and gave me the option to 'start' navigation. Dead easy (on this occasion!)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I just wonder why this works for some but not others?
baguette

Post by baguette »

It usually arrives so late the journey is already complete. And then if you save it, you end up with a "built with Google" advertisement on that entry in the nav system forever. No thanks.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

baguette wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:29 am It usually arrives so late the journey is already complete. And then if you save it, you end up with a "built with Google" advertisement on that entry in the nav system forever. No thanks.
I've never noticed the 'built with Google' thing.

If anyone with a new car on software 3.0 reads this, please let us know whether sending a destination from the app to the nav works in your car without an excessive delay. It really is something they should have been trying to bug-fix.
baguette

Post by baguette »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:08 am I've never noticed the 'built with Google' thing.

builtwithgoogle.jpeg

My memory ain't what it used to be, but I actually don't remember that tag being on app-provided destinations before either. But it's definitely there now. Maybe I'm just a grouch, but I don't think I paid this much money for a car just to be advertised to. ;)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:08 am
baguette wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:29 am It usually arrives so late the journey is already complete. And then if you save it, you end up with a "built with Google" advertisement on that entry in the nav system forever. No thanks.

If anyone with a new car on software 3.0 reads this, please let us know whether sending a destination from the app to the nav works in your car without an excessive delay. It really is something they should have been trying to bug-fix.
Unless it's something ridiculous (like the software update) and it's down to how often the car polls for the data, I don't see how it can be fixed with the Car software, it seems to be more to do with the backend comms?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:26 am
sidehaas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:08 am

Unless it's something ridiculous (like the software update) and it's down to how often the car polls for the data, I don't see how it can be fixed with the Car software, it seems to be more to do with the backend comms?
I've no idea of root cause. My thought process is that fundamentally we know the app can send signals to the car in essentially real time (charging instructions suffer no more than a couple of seconds delay and Aircon seemingly a little more). That implies the backend is capable so why should a small piece of nav data not be sent in similar time... obviously there is a reason and I'm no expert but I'm hopeful it would be possible to fix it if they have tried. Surely worth asking the question of someone with the new software.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:02 pm I sent a destination to the car one night last week and it came up as a pop-up with the option to navigate to it when I got in the car the next day at 7am. That was fine for me but don't know when it was first available in the car.
So just did exactly the same last night with a different destination, but when I got in the car this morning nothing came up! Totally unreliable. What a bad joke.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:13 pm
Sherlock wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:02 pm I sent a destination to the car one night last week and it came up as a pop-up with the option to navigate to it when I got in the car the next day at 7am. That was fine for me but don't know when it was first available in the car.
So just did exactly the same last night with a different destination, but when I got in the car this morning nothing came up! Totally unreliable. What a bad joke.
So the destination I sent to the car last Friday evening has finally popped up in the car this Wed. afternoon at 5 past 4pm. I have used the car every day this week and all afternoon today before it finally arrived. What on earth is going on?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

😂
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It works something like this..
You set the destination on your phone, the phone communicates with a server probably an AWS or Google offering somewhere.
Someone in VW logs into the host server periodically and checks all the destination updates.
They write all these down and fax them to another office who converts them into punch cards.
These are mailed to a 3rd office where they are fed back into the VW computer and then sent to the car.

All very efficient and professional...
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:37 am It works something like this..
You set the destination on your phone, the phone communicates with a server probably an AWS or Google offering somewhere.
Someone in VW logs into the host server periodically and checks all the destination updates.
They write all these down and fax them to another office who converts them into punch cards.
These are mailed to a 3rd office where they are fed back into the VW computer and then sent to the car.

Now I understand the issue. When transferring to punch cards the operator forgot the all important diagonal stripe across the block, so that when the cards were (inevitably) dropped on the floor, they were re compiled in the wrong order......basic really.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:37 am It works something like this..

I think you have got it! :lol: :lol: