Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The White 230ps V2 I saw on Autotrader isn't available at Twickenham, but they seemingly have an incoming 230ps 77kWh for July.

My job situation is a bit hairy at the moment (got a great new job, put my notice in, got my replacement in and the new company went into administration), there's one iron in the fire that might see that 77kWh variant useful if I were to get a job i've applied for that is remote with a few days a month visit to site in Milton Keynes (From Newcastle), but if not, I probably wouldn't even be considering the 77kWh one. Officially an extra 75 miles range, realistically, an extra 55 motorway miles, i'm guessing.

Would I otherwise be interested in the 77kWh battery? Probably not.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Busman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:06 am Why compare with others.Are you not happy with your I.D 3.Your comments regarding Forum Police has been noted.Juzt like yourselves I can read what ever I choose on this forum,just like you can read my comments,thank you very much.
If you had your way, there'd be nothing Born related to read on here. If you don't want to see the stuff, why even read it?

I'm very happy with my ID3, but comparing with the Born, where's the harm in it?

Busman

Post by Busman »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 am
Busman wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:06 am Why compare with others.Are you not happy with your I.D 3.Your comments regarding Forum Police has been noted.Juzt like yourselves I can read what ever I choose on this forum,just like you can read my comments,thank you very much.
If you had your way, there'd be nothing Born related to read on here. If you don't want to see the stuff, why even read it?

I'm very happy with my ID3, but comparing with the Born, where's the harm in it?
No harm what so ever.No need to be so serious though .
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cherry, is that you?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Been following the Born thread with interest.
There a number of V2s in the country available now and I have been offered one on PCP for £30 less/month than I'm paying now because of the equity I have in my car. If I wait for the ID3 I have on order I may lose the grant as it will run beyond 12 months.
I can drive the Born away next week.
What should I do? It seems a no brainer.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I think there are quite a few folk in a similar position…. When(!) your id3 does come it will have positive equity from the day it arrives… how much of a factor is that in the PCP?
I own mine outright so it’s a simpler calc…
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 am Been following the Born thread with interest.
There a number of V2s in the country available now and I have been offered one on PCP for £30 less/month than I'm paying now because of the equity I have in my car. If I wait for the ID3 I have on order I may lose the grant as it will run beyond 12 months.
If it was me, I'd go with the Born.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

andrewparker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:02 am
Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 am Been following the Born thread with interest.
If it was me, I'd go with the Born.
Go With the Born. If you have a home charger and the likes of Octopus Go tariff set up, you're going to be saving a fortune at the pumps if you do reasonable mileage too - consider that!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've only gone and done it...

That car on Autotrader at Twickenham which didn't exist, it actually does exist - it was being brought in as a demo and the general sales team weren't aware of it, but the sales manager says they have it and its available as early as this weekend.

I said I was awaiting a test drive on Saturday (which I am) for the 230ps variant at my local dealership, so he offered to reserve it for a small deposit (£250) and if I don't end up wanting one after the test drive, to let him know and i'll et my deposit back. It also gives me a bit of time to find out if I get offered a job i'm having a second interview for tomorrow. The guy didn't mention finance at all, and given that there's no incentives to take up that i'm aware of, I won't be wanting finance.

Now I need to tidy up my ID3, take some pics and get it out there on Motorway.co.uk so see what it's worth. Current approximate value is £34210 according to them, but thta's before anyone starts bidding on it, and doesn't take into account the alloy wheels. If I got offered £35k for it, i'd be chuffed.

The Born in question is Glacier White, V2, with the L tech pack, which is totally superfluous to my needs - (the self parking, wireless phone charging (which I never use as it means taking the phone out of its case), illuminated door handles and fully keyless (which is flaky on our ID3 Family at the best of times).

If I let the wife know about the self parking, she'll probably want it for herself and i'm then back to square one!

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:15 am I've only gone and done it...

That car on Autotrader at Twickenham which didn't exist, it actually does exist - it was being brought in as a demo and the general sales team weren't aware of it, but the sales manager says they have it and its available as early as this weekend.

I said I was awaiting a test drive on Saturday (which I am) for the 230ps variant at my local dealership, so he offered to reserve it for a small deposit (£250) and if I don't end up wanting one after the test drive, to let him know and i'll et my deposit back. It also gives me a bit of time to find out if I get offered a job i'm having a second interview for tomorrow. The guy didn't mention finance at all, and given that there's no incentives to take up that i'm aware of, I won't be wanting finance.

Now I need to tidy up my ID3, take some pics and get it out there on Motorway.co.uk so see what it's worth. Current approximate value is £34210 according to them, but thta's before anyone starts bidding on it, and doesn't take into account the alloy wheels. If I got offered £35k for it, i'd be chuffed.

The Born in question is Glacier White, V2, with the L tech pack, which is totally superfluous to my needs - (the self parking, wireless phone charging (which I never use as it means taking the phone out of its case), illuminated door handles and fully keyless (which is flaky on our ID3 Family at the best of times).

If I let the wife know about the self parking, she'll probably want it for herself and i'm then back to square one!
Ha Ha excellent stuff, hope it works out. I would be tempted too, but for those Matrix lights, (I'm obsessed). Mind you 'New car smell..... '.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Me too. Think you pipped me to the post on the e boost at Twickenham!!!!
The e boost would still have been a saving over my ID3 PCP monthly.
I'm going down tomorrow to make sure there is nothing about the car I'm not happy about and could collect it this weekend.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Excellent!
For the Tour I’m picking up on Mon/Tues the PX was pretty close to the Motorway valuation.. though they seem to have the wrong model on the paperwork (I only gave them the reg so it’s their mistake) so will be on motorway if there are any problems etc..

Only car I’ve ever had that’s made money. Especially in the first year!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:26 am

I'm going down tomorrow to make sure there is nothing about the car I'm not happy about and could collect it this weekend.
So what is it you're getting? V2 204ps/58kWh, standard 19" wheels (Black/silver), colour? options? Where are you getting it from?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:22 am
Ha Ha excellent stuff, hope it works out. I would be tempted too, but for those Matrix lights, (I'm obsessed). Mind you 'New car smell..... '.
The Matrix lights don't bother me, I don't have them on my Life, the wife has them on her Family, but all the roads we use are well lit, no country lanes where the Matrix lights really make a difference. Looks like i'm going to be busy giving the car a thorough wash and vac tonight, get some good pics and think about trying to get those matt carbon door grab handle shells off to restore the black gloss. interior.

Can I unsee the dash neck pillow on the Born though? :lol:

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:40 am

So what is it you're getting? V2 204ps/58kWh, standard 19" wheels (Black/silver), colour? options? Where are you getting it from?
V2 204hp 58kw n white at Twickenham. I wanted the e boost as said but it seems like a good deal and I stand to lose my grant on the ID3 I have on order since Sept and when it does come the used market may have changed significantly and my equity greatly reduced.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:40 am

V2 in white 204hp 58kw. 19" wheels. Extras? It has the HUD but not sure what else. Will find out tomorrow at Twickenham.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:54 am
V2 204hp 58kw n white at Twickenham. I wanted the e boost as said but it seems like a good deal and I stand to lose my grant on the ID3 I have on order since Sept and when it does come the used market may have changed significantly and my equity greatly reduced.
I forgot you already had an ID3 to trade in - Are you going motorway or PX? I suspect they'll be about £2k lighter than Motorway in PX value, but someone's got to be selling 12 month old ID3s for over RRP for Motorway aligned dealers to be paying 90-95% of RRP to the likes of us.

I do think the Born looks very good in white, even better than the ID3 looks in white. The demo i'm test driving is Silver, and although it looks great, Silver has always been a problem for colour matches on resprays, should it get dinged. Haven't done any example insurance comparisons yet to see if the 230 costs a lot more (surely is shouldn't, but its appealing to a different demographic, so might be surprising).

Are you in a rush to pick up this weekend? I'm thinking, as unlikely as it is, if I end up passing on the 230ps after my test drive, you'd be kicking yourself if it were available again. Up to you whether you want to wait until i've confirmed after my test drive before committing fully to the 204ps they've reserved for you? Perhaps they'll keep it reserved for you until Saturday with the opportunity to swap to the 230ps if I decline it? Something to keep in mind, although if you were that set on the 230, you'd wait and find one?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:53 pm
Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:54 am
I forgot you already had an ID3 to trade in - Are you going motorway or PX? I suspect they'll be about £2k lighter than Motorway in PX value, but someone's got to be selling 12 month old ID3s for over RRP for Motorway aligned dealers to be paying 90-95% of RRP to the likes of us.

I do think the Born looks very good in white, even better than the ID3 looks in white. The demo i'm test driving is Silver, and although it looks great, Silver has always been a problem for colour matches on resprays, should it get dinged. Haven't done any example insurance comparisons yet to see if the 230 costs a lot more (surely is shouldn't, but its appealing to a different demographic, so might be surprising).

Are you in a rush to pick up this weekend? I'm thinking, as unlikely as it is, if I end up passing on the 230ps after my test drive, you'd be kicking yourself if it were available again. Up to you whether you want to wait until i've confirmed after my test drive before committing fully to the 204ps they've reserved for you? Perhaps they'll keep it reserved for you until Saturday with the opportunity to swap to the 230ps if I decline it? Something to keep in mind, although if you were that set on the 230, you'd wait and find one?
Motorway book my car at £32,800.
18 months old 8,300 miles.
The deal is typically a bit of ducking and diving to get a monthly figure that I wanted. On paper they are offering me close to £32,000 which tbf is £2,500 more than I paid 18 months ago.
I'm not in a rush so if you pass on the e boost I will see if I can switch. I just think the e boost will hold its value better and be a bit more fun. Both have enough power for me though.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

I'm now on the Facebook Cupra Born group and there are a few dealers on there telling people they have stock cars available. I pick up my Born next Friday (v2 L tech pack in the dark grey, can't remember what it's called).
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:00 pm
Motorway book my car at £32,800.
18 months old 8,300 miles.
The deal is typically a bit of ducking and diving to get a monthly figure that I wanted. On paper they are offering me close to £32,000 which tbf is £2,500 more than I paid 18 months ago.
I'm not in a rush so if you pass on the e boost I will see if I can switch. I just think the e boost will hold its value better and be a bit more fun. Both have enough power for me though.
Ducking and diving? Is that manipulating deposits and P/X values to get to that monthly? Without any incentives on the go, I can't imagine there's much ducking and diving to be had.

Mine's bought outright and i'll just add what the Born needs to whatever Motorway give me, unless there's a free service pack on the go or something for taking out Finance, it'll be a cash buy.

If you want the option on the e-Boost, I would say don't pick up this Saturday and don't let them register it in your name before this Saturday. I'll be able to let you know by lunchtime on Saturday that i'm definitely going ahead, or not.

I'm hoping that in Cupra mode with the e-Boost, it's not like the ID3's sport mode in that despite leaving it in D, it acts like a mild version of B mode, with regen happening when you lift off (I really don't like B mode at all).