Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:56 pm
Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:00 pm
Motorway book my car at £32,800.
18 months old 8,300 miles.
The deal is typically a bit of ducking and diving to get a monthly figure that I wanted. On paper they are offering me close to £32,000 which tbf is £2,500 more than I paid 18 months ago.
I'm not in a rush so if you pass on the e boost I will see if I can switch. I just think the e boost will hold its value better and be a bit more fun. Both have enough power for me though.
Ducking and diving? Is that manipulating deposits and P/X values to get to that monthly? Without any incentives on the go, I can't imagine there's much ducking and diving to be had.

Mine's bought outright and i'll just add what the Born needs to whatever Motorway give me, unless there's a free service pack on the go or something for taking out Finance, it'll be a cash buy.

If you want the option on the e-Boost, I would say don't pick up this Saturday and don't let them register it in your name before this Saturday. I'll be able to let you know by lunchtime on Saturday that i'm definitely going ahead, or not.

I'm hoping that in Cupra mode with the e-Boost, it's not like the ID3's sport mode in that despite leaving it in D, it acts like a mild version of B mode, with regen happening when you lift off (I really don't like B mode at all).
I don't know what the final quote looks like until tomorrow other than my bottom line was reached.
I asked for a stripped out quote?, no alloy or paint/body ding insurance, no gap insurance so as you say there isn't a lot of leeway for the normal ducking and diving.
Ceramic coating may however be included?
My expectation is that it will drive much the same as the ID3 but a tad sharper. Interior is an upgrade on the Life.
I think you are right with the eboost but it only gives you 30 seconds from what I made out. Other than that you are in the ID3 sport mode which I thought had the same regen as B.
I alternate between D and B as I have said before depending how I feel.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:39 pm
I don't know what the final quote looks like until tomorrow other than my bottom line was reached.
I asked for a stripped out quote?, no alloy or paint/body ding insurance, no gap insurance so as you say there isn't a lot of leeway for the normal ducking and diving.
Ceramic coating may however be included?
My expectation is that it will drive much the same as the ID3 but a tad sharper. Interior is an upgrade on the Life.
I think you are right with the eboost but it only gives you 30 seconds from what I made out. Other than that you are in the ID3 sport mode which I thought had the same regen as B.
I alternate between D and B as I have said before depending how I feel.
I always whittle out all that crap. They add it on, but I tell them I don't want it. That's the finance factor - the sales people don't ask you how much you want to pay, they ask you how much you can afford a month.

Pretty much all auto cloth is waterproof/stain proof now (maybe not so for Alcantara), so no need for the scotchgard, and if you're prepared to give it a treatment every 4-6 months, G-Techniq C2V3 is as good as any ceramic coat (some people think that ceramic coating is bullet-proof, or at least stone proof - definitely not). Buy a big bottle for £60, and you only need use about 30mL per coat - a 500mL bottle will last you maybe 5 years. No one in the dealership is going to give the bodywork the prep it needs for a ceramic coat anyway. Wash the car, get a bottle of Iron-X or similar, apply to the bodywork to remove any iron fallout, then wash again and apply your sealant (C2V3 or similar)

I think the e-boost will give you up to 30 seconds within a defined period, not 30 seconds per journey, so unless you're jumping on the accelerator then on the brake all the time, I think it'll be there when you want it. That's how the ICE boosts work on the likes of the Golf GTI TCR/CSS.

My experience on the 204ps is that it didn't have any better driving dynamics than my ID3 - perhaps on decent 19" rubber, it might feel a bit less squishy than 18" wheels on my ID3. I'm not expecting the 230ps variant to drive any sharper than the 204ps variant, but it'll be a bonus if it does.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MLB_ID3 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 pm I'm now on the Facebook Cupra Born group and there are a few dealers on there telling people they have stock cars available. I pick up my Born next Friday (v2 L tech pack in the dark grey, can't remember what it's called).
The Dark Grey? That'll be Quasar Grey, equivalent to Manganese Grey - the best colour choice of the ID3 IMO. Never in contention for me as the wife has a Manganese Grey Family. Seems like a lot of these stock cars that were supposed to be demos are V2 with an L pack added.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Someone on Facebook yesterday/ this morning posted that a dealer in Southampton has four Borns available including two 230s (all 58kwh). In case Dave wants to investigate.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:58 am
V2 in white 204hp 58kw. 19" wheels. Extras? It has the HUD but not sure what else. Will find out tomorrow at Twickenham.
I believe that the v2 has everything that pre-shortage Life spec had (LA, auto wipers and lights, heated mirrors/seats/steering wheel etc), plus a rear camera, HUD and the 19" wheels. Its possibly that yours has an L pack or M pack optioned too (seems like a lot of these immediately available cars do have teh L pack from what I saw on autotrader).

Let me know what you think about the car and the dealership! If I do go ahead and you want some OBD11 tweakery doing (TA, turn off LA every trip etc) then we could potentially pick up same day and sort the cars out before I make my way back up to Newcastle (If you don't have OBD11.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:44 am Someone on Facebook yesterday/ this morning posted that a dealer in Southampton has four Borns available including two 230s (all 58kwh). In case Dave wants to investigate.
Good Shout!

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:48 am
sidehaas wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:44 am Someone on Facebook yesterday/ this morning posted that a dealer in Southampton has four Borns available including two 230s (all 58kwh). In case Dave wants to investigate.
Good Shout!
Called Snow's on my way to Twickenham but they don't have a white one. I wanted white on my last three cars and settled for something else so this time it's white.
Looking at the V2 now in the showroom. Most striking thing so far is the interior. Its a real step up from a Life.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:36 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:48 am
Good Shout!
Called Snow's on my way to Twickenham but they don't have a white one. I wanted white on my last three cars and settled for something else so this time it's white.
Looking at the V2 now in the showroom. Most striking thing so far is the interior. Its a real step up from a Life.

20220609_124128.jpg

20220609_124143.jpg

20220609_124150.jpg

20220609_124200.jpg

20220609_124216.jpg

Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is that a couple of Ducatis in the background? I do think the Born looks a little better in white than the ID3 does.

That's the E-Boost one looking at the steering wheel - Get your greasy Mitts off my car! :lol: Go on, you can sit in it, just don't fart on the drivers seat!

The one thing that bothers me about that interior that really shouldn't is that they cheaped out on the rear door cards - adding a small pad of the material from the front would've cost them all of 50p per door card rather than solid grey plastic where the pad should be. It amazes me the lengths VAG go to in saving pennies where they think people won't notice!

What colour E-Boosts do they have in Southampton?

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm Is that a couple of Ducatis in the background? I do think the Born looks a little better in white than the ID3 does.

That's the E-Boost one looking at the steering wheel - Get your greasy Mitts off my car! :lol: Go on, you can sit in it, just don't fart on the drivers seat!

The one thing that bothers me about that interior that really shouldn't is that they cheaped out on the rear door cards - adding a small pad of the material from the front would've cost them all of 50p per door card rather than solid grey plastic where the pad should be. It amazes me the lengths VAG go to in saving pennies where they think people won't notice!

Southampton have red.
My V2 is locked. All and sundry are in and out of your one. 🤣
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:07 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm Is that a couple of Ducatis in the background? I do think the Born looks a little better in white than the ID3 does.

Southampton have red.
I've just rang Snows, mainly to see if they have an Aurora blue one, awaiting a callback, but if red is all they have, i'd rather have the white (even though red is quite nice - I prefer non metallic red, like Polo Flash Red or Golf Tornado Red). Snows might've been handy for me as My parents moved down to Southampton years ago, could've incorporated a visit.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Southampton have red.
I've just rang Snows, mainly to see if they have an Aurora blue one, awaiting a callback, but if red is all they have, i'd rather have the white (even though red is quite nice - I prefer non metallic red, like Polo Flash Red or Golf Tornado Red). Snows might've been handy for me as My parents moved down to Southampton years ago, could've incorporated a visit.
They only mentioned the red to me.
You coming down from Newcastle? That a trot.
It was 70 miles for me.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Southampton have red.
It was 70 miles for me.
I always seem to need to go far in order to get a good deal these days, although on this occasion, there is no deal - paying RRP, but my local dealership are insisting that their stock given for Demos will remain as Demos, otherwise I might've been tempted to go for the Silver V2 E-Boost that Seat/Cupra Pulman at Sunderland have and i'll be test driving this weekend (unless they tell me its still not fully PDI'd, or they did actually decide to sell it.

My ID3 came from Listers Evesham (245 miles home), the wife's came from Heritage Gloucester (275 miles).

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:49 pm
Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:21 pm

It was 70 miles for me.
I always seem to need to go far in order to get a good deal these days, although on this occasion, there is no deal - paying RRP, but my local dealership are insisting that their stock given for Demos will remain as Demos, otherwise I might've been tempted to go for the Silver V2 E-Boost that Seat/Cupra Pulman at Sunderland have and i'll be test driving this weekend (unless they tell me its still not fully PDI'd, or they did actually decide to sell it.

My ID3 came from Listers Evesham (245 miles home), the wife's came from Heritage Gloucester (275 miles).
I do the same. My ID3 came from Nottingham, 170 mile trip. My Niece holds our family record. 400 miles to Edinburgh for an Evoke.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm
That's the E-Boost one looking at the steering wheel -
Lol 1st time seeing that, those buttons are subtle !!!
Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm
I do the same. My ID3 came from Nottingham, 170 mile trip. My Niece holds our family record. 400 miles to Edinburgh for an Evoke.
Is that an Electric Mini moke? (Sorry)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:36 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm
That's the E-Boost one looking at the steering wheel -
Lol 1st time seeing that, those buttons are subtle !!!
Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm
Is that an Electric Mini moke? (Sorry)
Was that a spelling error by me? 😂
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion: Just been on the phone to Twickenham - Sorry Dave, i've committed to the E-Boost after getting some amazing news today.

The guy is sales said he saw you there and had mentioned my reservation, and he said you've only just left about 30 mins ago - Hope you hit the coffee machine and lotus biscuits hard! :lol:

Had a second interview for a job this morning and have been notified that it's mine, (which is a huge relief after getting a new job, interviewing and accepting my replacement and then the company at the new job going bust, leaving me jobless at the end of my notice period), so decided to change without the need to go with the test drive first! Just called up to confirm that they can get it ready for Weds pick up, as i'm going to meet the new colleagues down in Milton Keynes on Weds. So, early train to Kings Cross from Newcastle, tube/overground to Twickenham, pick up the new car, drive it to Milton Keynes, then the long drive home.

They offered me £33k px on my ID3, I have a £34210 reserve on Motorway and the car is up on their online auction tomorrow. I wonder whether the price and demand of EVs is about to skyrocket with the advent of the £100 fill up as petrol prices climb even higher. Will have a figure/offer from Motorway by the end of Friday.

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Not normally a fan of white cars, but the one in the photos looks great.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Is the deal contingent on the PX or are they happy to let you sell with the PX value as a backstop?

And great news on the job!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:21 pm Is the deal contingent on the PX or are they happy to let you sell with the PX value as a backstop?

And great news on the job!
The PX value is there as a back up, there's not any playing around they can do when they're selling you a car for RRP vs discounts where they're robbing Peter to pay Paul on the price to change. It will be our 16th brand new car bought, yet the only one i've ever paid RRP on. the Life will be the only car i've bought, ran and made a profit on though!

Yes, quite a relief on the job front, it's been quite a roller-coaster ride and I have 3 other interviews set up for next week. I'll not need to go to them now.