Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:58 pm Daveion: Just been on the phone to Twickenham - Sorry Dave, i've committed to the E-Boost after getting some amazing news today.

The guy is sales said he saw you there and had mentioned my reservation, and he said you've only just left about 30 mins ago - Hope you hit the coffee machine and lotus biscuits hard! :lol:

Had a second interview for a job this morning and have been notified that it's mine, (which is a huge relief after getting a new job, interviewing and accepting my replacement and then the company at the new job going bust, leaving me jobless at the end of my notice period), so decided to change without the need to go with the test drive first! Just called up to confirm that they can get it ready for Weds pick up, as i'm going to meet the new colleagues down in Milton Keynes on Weds. So, early train to Kings Cross from Newcastle, tube/overground to Twickenham, pick up the new car, drive it to Milton Keynes, then the long drive home.

They offered me £33k px on my ID3, I have a £34210 reserve on Motorway and the car is up on their online auction tomorrow. I wonder whether the price and demand of EVs is about to skyrocket with the advent of the £100 fill up as petrol prices climb even higher. Will have a figure/offer from Motorway by the end of Friday.
That's fine.
I'm not home yet. M25 is never kind to me.
10 miles from home and satnav saying another 2 hrs 14 min thanks to broken down lorry....must be across 2 lanes????
One thing I will put on the Born forum if you have nit driven one.
When I put the car into drive, D B OR R, there is low background kind of rumble noise that my life doesn't do??? We tried 3 different cars and they all did the same and if I pick up on it with age related hearing loss it must quite loud.
Trying to find out what makes the noise and why.
If you don't mind me asking what age and mileage is your pex? My car is 18 months and motorway offered me £32,809 with 8,300 miles.
Is that comparable with your car?
I may also collect on Wednesday. Checking motorway offer out first as Citygate were well short of that price.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:52 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:58 pm Daveion: Just been on the phone to Twickenham - Sorry Dave, i've committed to the E-Boost after getting some amazing news today.

The guy is sales said he saw you there and had mentioned my reservation, and he said you've only just left about 30 mins ago - Hope you hit the coffee machine and lotus biscuits hard! :lol:

Had a second interview for a job this morning and have been notified that it's mine, (which is a huge relief after getting a new job, interviewing and accepting my replacement and then the company at the new job going bust, leaving me jobless at the end of my notice period), so decided to change without the need to go with the test drive first! Just called up to confirm that they can get it ready for Weds pick up, as i'm going to meet the new colleagues down in Milton Keynes on Weds. So, early train to Kings Cross from Newcastle, tube/overground to Twickenham, pick up the new car, drive it to Milton Keynes, then the long drive home.

They offered me £33k px on my ID3, I have a £34210 reserve on Motorway and the car is up on their online auction tomorrow. I wonder whether the price and demand of EVs is about to skyrocket with the advent of the £100 fill up as petrol prices climb even higher. Will have a figure/offer from Motorway by the end of Friday.
That's fine.
I'm not home yet. M25 is never kind to me.
10 miles from home and satnav saying another 2 hrs 14 min thanks to broken down lorry....must be across 2 lanes????
When I put the car into drive, D B OR R, there is low background kind of rumble noise that my life doesn't do??? We tried 3 different cars and they all did the same and if I pick up on it with age related hearing loss it must quite loud.
If you don't mind me asking what age and mileage is your pex? My car is 18 months and motorway offered me £32,809 with 8,300 miles.
I may also collect on Wednesday. Checking motorway offer out first as Citygate were well short of that price.
Congratulations on the job by the way.
I still miss work terribly. Retired 2015.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:52 pm
I didn't notice a rumble on the 204ps V1 I test drove last week (when I was supposed to drive the 230ps), but I did spend half the journey with the radio blasting thanks to the previous settings.

Was this just their Sport/Cupra mode? As daft as it sounds, perhaps the Bornhas a Soundaktor to appease the McDonald's car park brigade when in Sport/Cupra mode? Easily unplugged if you can't turn it off - did that with my Polo GTI+.

My Life is 13 months old and 6700 miles. I suspect the age is a bigger factor than the miles in your's being worth a bit less? Have you got it up on motorway now. I'm supposedly going to have an offer made by the end of today (motorway instigated dealer bidding supposedly ends at 3pm) - I will let you know what it achieves, but I'm expecting people to be all over any available EVs new and used, if they can charge at home, given the advent of the £2 litre of diesel.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OK, I was left with the kids while my wife went to work to do some unplanned overtime, and I was in 2 minds whether to follow through on my 230ps V2 Born test drive at the local Seat/Cupra garage. I decided to go with it and took the kids, with a promise (bribe) of an ice-cream at the beach later.

So the 230ps V2 was still sat in the showroom and I thought "here we go again, it's unavailable to test drive". The salesman who was supposed to be in wasn't and as the car hadn't been out yet, the guy I did speak to wasn't sure if it'd finished the PDI. They took about 20 mins getting it ready and I had a recce of all the Borns there (6 of them) - the V1s on 18" wheels all had Bridgestone tyres, the V2s on 19" wheels had Continental Eco Contact 6s on. I am apparently the first person to drive their E-boost V2 (apart from the techs doing the PDI)

So we got the car out and I was let loose with it for 30 mins, took it along the 50mph roads out of Sunderland (about 4 miles) and onto the dual carriageway A19. The handling was marginally better, but I think this is attributable to the 19" wheels with decent (not Bridgestone) tyres and lower profile tyres rather than the suspension being uprated. That ties in with my thoughts on last week's V1 with the same tyres as my ID3.

So, performance... Noticeable improvement, but it was not an astounding improvement, a sthe published 0-62 numbers alluded to. I'd liken it to the difference between putting your foot down in 4th or 5th in a 6 speed car. These EVs develop their power quite linearly so it doesn't feel much quicker, but the speedo numbers move up noticeably quicker and the motor whines harder. For me, it's still worth the difference,

The left steering wheel button on the 230ps variant cycles through all the driving modes (comfort/Individual/Eco/Performance, and the right one cycles between the driving mode selected by the left button or the touch screen and Cupra mode.

The copper/bronze embellishments are growing on me. The thing that most impressed me was the HUD - All new cars should have this as standard.

MLB_ID3

Post by MLB_ID3 »

I got my vin and car reg today for my Born V2 with tech pack L. I pick it up Friday. When I test drove the v1 it did feel firmer suspension wise than the ID3 first edition I test drove last October. I'm pleased I've jumped to the Born. Roll on Friday!
Last edited by MLB_ID3 on Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Order date: 9th October
Spec: Family Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya Alloys
Original delivery estimates: March, April, May now Autumn
Previous build weeks: 19, 22
Estimated build week: 2022 wk38
** Cancelled **
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’m due to pick up on Monday - and have no VIN - no reg! Guess we’ll see what happens!!!
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am
So, performance... Noticeable improvement, but it was not an astounding improvement, a sthe published 0-62 numbers alluded to. I'd liken it to the difference between putting your foot down in 4th or 5th in a 6 speed car. These EVs develop their power quite linearly so it doesn't feel much quicker, but the speedo numbers move up noticeably quicker and the motor whines harder. For me, it's still worth the difference,
Any idea how much the 'go faster' button increases the annual motor insurance cost?
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Saw my first Cupra Born in the wild today. It appeared to be a maroon red colour and it looked very smart in the sunshine. The full bonnet made the car look a little more premium than the ID3 (although we do love our ID3).
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Gwyver wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am
Any idea how much the 'go faster' button increases the annual motor insurance cost?
I'm with Admiral at the moment for a multi car/house policy, and the 2 ID3s are £225 each (Full NCD, protected). I went on the Meerkat website for a comparison between ID3 and Born. Neither car had an Admiral value, but the cheapest mainstream insurer for both was Tesco, with the ID3 Pro Performance 204ps coming in at £286 for me and the Born 230ps e-boost V2 coming in at £294, so there seems to be coppers between them.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It’s renewal time for me - and strangely AA is the cheapest 🤷‍♂️
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:23 am It’s renewal time for me - and strangely AA is the cheapest 🤷‍♂️
As long as Admiral doesn't come In with a daft quote because the car isn't fully on their system yet,I'm expecting no more than a tenner to change the car plus any admin fee they might impose if I can't make the change myself online - I was with.quotemehappy previously, all managed online and they didn't charge an admin fee.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

LV before. This year (before my car upgrade admittedly) is coming in about 10-15% cheaper!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have more news. Told my wife about the car swap last night and she was having a moan until she realised how well the ID3 price has held up and there wasn't a huge cost to change. Then she asked more about it and decided that she might be interested (she does miss the sporty look of her old Polo GTI+), so we headed back to Sunderland (she hadn't seen it yesterday) and looked at yesterday's demo in the flesh, decided she liked it in Silver and the Aurora blue they had in and I had already looked to see that Autotrader had 2 immediately available V2 230ps 58kWh Borns - an Aurora Blue with L-Tech pack, and a Silver one without the L-Tech pack.

She really wanted the autopark and full keyless, so we were hoping the Autotrader listed Aurora Blue was still available in the Seat/Cupra dealership in Woking, and it was, so I have a deposit down on that - £39025, and the estimated valuation of her May 21 ID3 Family in Manganese Grey is at £37946, and hopefully will fetch more than that.

Presumably we'll be picking that up in a week or so's time.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Our other ID3 has been through Motorway and reached the reserve price, so it is also going - the Wife's Manganese Grey, June 2021 registered, with East Derrys has fetched £37994, and as the place its going to is based in Essex, I offered to drive it down on my way to pick up the Aurora Blue Born, whenever its ready and he's said "it would cost me £200 to send someone up to get yours, so if you're saving me the bother, i'll give you an extra £200". Get in!

I'm just waiting confirmation that the Aurora blue Born is actually in stock within the dealership group - the guy was going to call me back in 5 mins, about 2 hours ago!

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:49 pm Our other ID3 has been through Motorway and reached the reserve price, so it is also going - the Wife's Manganese Grey, June 2021 registered, with East Derrys has fetched £37994, and as the place its going to is based in Essex, I offered to drive it down on my way to pick up the Aurora Blue Born, whenever its ready and he's said "it would cost me £200 to send someone up to get yours, so if you're saving me the bother, i'll give you an extra £200". Get in!

I'm just waiting confirmation that the Aurora blue Born is actually in stock within the dealership group - the guy was going to call me back in 5 mins, about 2 hours ago!
Result!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just tried to sort my insurance for tomorrow (Admiral multicover) and the policy change is resulting in a £17.50 charge, but considering that £9.50 of that is admin fee, the cost to change from a mainstream insurer from ID3 204ps to a Born 230ps, is about 3% of my existing premium (£225), admin fee excluded.

I had the option to make the change today, tomorrow or at a later date. Annoyingly, the tomorrow option didn't give me the opportunity to stipulate a time of switch or anything to indicate that both cars would be covered for tomorrow only to facilitate the changeover, so I declined and will make an immediate change tomorrow when I get to the place taking in my white ID3.

For tomorrow's pick up, I am on my 4th ask from the salesman at 4pm whether I want GAP or Lifeshine - how many times do you have to say no? He says he's legally obliged to ask, as per the forms they send out. No, that's not true - they have to cover themselves for mis-selling if you take them up on it, but not the other way round. I bet he asks again tomorrow at collection.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

At my pickup there was no last min upwelling thankfully…
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

What a long day! Out of the door at 4:30am, drove from Newcastle to Hounslow, West outer London to drop the ID3 off (needed a top up charge just before Peterborough, Got there at 10am, got a lift to Twickenham to pick up the Born, away to Milton Keynes with 45 mins to spare to charge it back up to 95%. Met my new colleagues for 2 hours, and then Drove back up to Newcastle, with a stop at the Moto around York on the A1 and missed the last free charger by about 20 seconds and someone was just reversing into the space. Had to wait 25 mins for one to free up and then a 25 min charge to get me back to Newcastle with a safe margin of charge (20%). While waiting for the charge, I enabled Travel Assist - it already had a few bytes enabled so I added to those but made a note of what was there, so the resultant outputs of bits 6 and 8 would've been different, but I made them the same. When I drove off, I still needed to intervene, so either my Cupra doesn't have a capacitative steering wheel, or those bytes that were there and I disabled have somehow disabled the capacitative function. I doubt I have a capacitative steering wheel, but someone on the ID3 forum who has a Cupra Born V2 204ps claims that after activating it as per my instructions doesn't need to intervene, so assumes they have a capacitative steering wheel. Oddly, the TA button only lights up with ignition, whereas on the ID3 it was lit off from entering the car, with all the others. I tried to activate a few other options via the OBD11 app specifically for the Born, but they didn't activate.

Had a few boy racers gawping at the Born as they drove past me on the A1, probably wondering what the hell it was, and some bell end in an old S3 (265ps variant). Was tailgating me, then moving out a lane, hoofing it into the high 90s, and then i'd pass him a mile later, maintaining 75mph while he's dropped to 60mph - this happened 3 times before he gave up.

Considering i've been sat in an ID3 for 5 hours, and a Born for almost 6 hours, my back is fine - so the seats are incredibly supportive and comfy. I think i've found my way around the infotainment system - completely different function layout.

Unfortunately, both the "Performance" function equivalent to ID3s "Sport" mode and the "Cupra" mode that enables the E-boost act like they are in B mode, even when they are in D mode, with regen I didn't ask for when I lift off to maintain a slightly slower speed. Mildly annoying - i'll have to adjust my driving style to maintain access to the full 230ps.

The slightly snugger interior has really grown on me, apart from that "neck pillow" on the dash that surrounds the drivers information screen - if there's one thing that might look tatty before its time, it'll be that.

Thoroughly glad I changed. 26C outside, sticking with 75mph, the car did 3.9 miles per kWh home, pretty good going.

Handling feels a bit sharper, but I think that's all in the 19" rubber, because the V1 demo on 18" wheels and Bridgestone tyres didn't feel any better than the ID3 on the same - there's nothing in the specs to suggest that V2 gets uprated suspension vs V1.

Got absolutely nothing from the dealer, not even a dealership keyring or a lightning/USB-C lead. There's no pump or gunk bottle with the Born V2, but maybe the Conti 6s have self sealing tyres, so they don't include them? Does the ID3 get a pump and bottle of gunk on the 19 or 20" tyres, or not for having self sealing tyres.

The HUD is excellent, the sat nav is incredibly buggy. On stretches of road the instructions announce leaving a roundabout that not only isn't there, but were never there. The announcements state the correct place, but the graphical representation correctly shows no roundabout and a correct distance to the next change. I happened about 10 times today.

I have tomorrow off, so looking to get off the hundreds of squished bugs from the front, wash, Iron X, and 2 coats of G-Techniq C2V3.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Nice one MH 👍👍 good write up.

No gunk n pump in my Tour (19” contis)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:43 am Nice one MH 👍👍 good write up.

No gunk n pump in my Tour (19” contis)
Thanks for the confirmation. Just waiting for the Sun to move around from my north facing drive so I can apply my Iron-X (not to be applied in direct sunlight or on hot bodywork). and then get the sealant on. Looking to do some more IBD11 tweakery, customise my multimedia shortcuts and get Cupra Connect sorted.