Parallel Parking in ID.3 using Reversing Camera

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

Hi All,

Not my video but a good illustration of a manual parallel park in an ID.3 using the reversing camera, from a driving instructor in the UK that teaches in an ID.3.

https://youtu.be/xBvbUZ_c9-4

A.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023

durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Nice.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Yes, very good. The one thing he misses is a reminder to turn Auto Hold back on at the end.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

Re auto hold. I don't undestand the problem....autohold only engages after "full" breaking. Light use of the break does not cause auto hold, so I can only assume some heavy footed driving.......autobreaking on the other hand is a right pain in confined manoeuvring.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:46 am Re auto hold. I don't undestand the problem....autohold only engages after "full" breaking. Light use of the break does not cause auto hold, so I can only assume some heavy footed driving.......autobreaking on the other hand is a right pain in confined manoeuvring.
The issue with autohold for fine manoeuvring is not to do with sudden braking. It's that if you are paused and want to move a very small distance,to release the autohold you have to depress the accelerator beyond a certain point, and this then leads to you moving forward more/faster than you might want. Fine control is much easier with Autohold off.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

As mentioned above, Autohold is interesting for fine manoeuvring - the car park near my house is not level so that adds an extra dimension. In my DSG Golf I find myself doing a "dab" to break the autohold but not enough to move the car - I can't remember if this worked in the ID.3 but I remember I worked out a compromise in the end (still waiting on delivery of my own ID.3). I guess as a driving instructor he has to deal with learners still working on throttle control.

Interestingly I always get my car back from the garage with auto hold switched off - I thought this was a mechanic thing but now I wonder about them having to move the car around the workshop. I always have auto hold on in the Golf and leave it on.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:35 am
Up the jumper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:46 am Re auto hold. I don't undestand the problem....autohold only engages after "full" breaking. Light use of the break does not cause auto hold, so I can only assume some heavy footed driving.......autobreaking on the other hand is a right pain in confined manoeuvring.
The issue with autohold for fine manoeuvring is not to do with sudden braking. It's that if you are paused and want to move a very small distance,to release the autohold you have to depress the accelerator beyond a certain point, and this then leads to you moving forward more/faster than you might want. Fine control is much easier with Autohold off.
I think you are mixing two things up. I have never found the need to switch off autohold. But I really wish I could permanently switch off auto breaking! I reiterate, if you don't break hard the autohold doesn't engage. So switching it off is unnecessary.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:27 pm
I think you are mixing two things up. I have never found the need to switch off autohold. But I really wish I could permanently switch off auto breaking! I reiterate, if you don't break hard the autohold doesn't engage. So switching it off is unnecessary.
I'm not mixing anything up. I don't have any problems with sudden braking. But Autohold is crap for manoeuvring because whenever you stopped and want to creep forward/back a small amount, you can't. (Eg when working into a tight parking space)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:27 pm

Autonomous Emergency Braking which is a function of Front Assist uses the Camera and Radar not the parking sensors this does not kick in when manouvering and as the name implies only acts to provide braking on a forward collision threat. I believe it only functions when travelling above 3mph and under 30mph

Then there is
Manouver braking which is a function of 'Park Distance control', this does not function when moving forwards if the park system has not been turned on manually.
or
Emergency Braking which is a function of 'Rear Traffic Alert'. This system looks for 'moving' objects in the proximity of the sensors. This will trigger if a flower is blowing around, but not if you reverse into a stationary object.

Then there's Auto Hold which monitors the wheel movement and accelerator position such that if there is no or little accelerator pressure and the wheels stop moving, as picked up by the ABS sensors(?), the car engages braking pressure to stop you rolling backwards. Auto Hold does not need Hard Braking to activate it merley needs the car to have been braked to a stop. I rarely have to Hard Brake to stop in traffic but my AutoHold kicks in every time I stop.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Around me, parking spaces on the street are usually tight affairs. I often find when you have a car close behind you and want to edge backwards a bit that you touch the accelerator pedal to release the brake and get the car moving, as you're quite close to the car behind even the slightest touch on the brake to slow you down results in the car applying the brakes hard to bring you to a rapid stop. Turning auto hold off stops the auto braking. When ever my car has been in the dealership I find that they have turned auto hold off presumably for this very reason.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38