3.0 Software Update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
phixion

Post by phixion »

Well, that was a bit scary.

Update went fine, got in the car to configure it and it got stuck on connecting to VW ID. The infotainment went black with only the offline symbol and the clock next to it.

Had to reset the infotainment system and it restarted the configuration again.

It then installed a 2nd smaller update, not sure what this is... I thought Part 2 was supposed to come weeks after part 1?

First impressions are the infotainment system feels a lot snappier than it did previously.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

phixion wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:10 pm Well, that was a bit scary.

Update went fine, got in the car to configure it and it got stuck on connecting to VW ID. The infotainment went black with only the offline symbol and the clock next to it.

Had to reset the infotainment system and it restarted the configuration again.

It then installed a 2nd smaller update, not sure what this is... I thought Part 2 was supposed to come weeks after part 1?

First impressions are the infotainment system feels a lot snappier than it did previously.
Part 2 can come same day or can take a couple of weeks. A lot of people have got it after only an hour or two. However there are a couple of other minor updates in between too.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

The quick update that follows part 1 has to do with WeConnect. My part 2 appeared several days later and takes 1.5 hours to install.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Any way dealers can do this one? I've got my 2.4 update booked in for mid December, would be nice if they can do this one too.

If not, do we actually have to email VW to get added to the list?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

rikimaru wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:08 pm Any way dealers can do this one? I've got my 2.4 update booked in for mid December, would be nice if they can do this one too.

No dealer option is being publicised. There is no ongoing list to get added to - next steps post the current wave are TBC. However I expect if they think it went well enough then they'll just start rolling it out further in batches, so you might get it not long after you have 2.4.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 pm
rikimaru wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:08 pm Any way dealers can do this one? I've got my 2.4 update booked in for mid December, would be nice if they can do this one too.

No dealer option is being publicised. There is no ongoing list to get added to - next steps post the current wave are TBC. However I expect if they think it went well enough then they'll just start rolling it out further in batches, so you might get it not long after you have 2.4.
Oh I see. So how did some people on here get access to 3.0?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

New cars are being delivered with 3.0.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

rikimaru wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:24 pm
sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Oh I see. So how did some people on here get access to 3.0?
VW wanted 1000 volunteers from around Europe with different models to send the OTA update to and check it was fully working before rolling it out fully. Essentially a final beta test, but they didn't call it that. They advertised for people to take part on the ID Driver's Facebook group and everyone who has recently got the update were among the people who responded (there was a deadline of a couple of weeks to do so, back in October). Apparently about 3800 people responded altogether and 1000 presumably got chosen. A lot of people have had it now aso I suspect they are nearing the end of that 1000.
VengefulSeal

Post by VengefulSeal »

Did anyone else think the post on the FB group was a joke? I assumed it was a member putting that on there so a load of people would bombard the email address and basically fill a mailbox to show the displeasure at the complete cluster that has been the software on these cars!

I also have never seen why the 2.4 update was carried out in the dealer and not straight to 3.0 - just seems completely illogical... I'm sure there was a reason, but doesn't really make sense does it.

Looking forward to 3.0 though, lots of positive info coming from people that the software makes things like the infotainment more responsive etc.
Deleted User 2790

Post by Deleted User 2790 »

Can anyone who has received the 3.0 OTA recently please tell me if they were given prior notification of which the day of the week that the VW server would start transmitting the software update to their car? I have visions of you all driving around aimlessly each day prior in the hope of receiving it?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G513 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 am Can anyone who has received the 3.0 OTA recently please tell me if they were given prior notification of which the day of the week that the VW server would start transmitting the software update to their car? I have visions of you all driving around aimlessly each day prior in the hope of receiving it?
You don't get this notification. You don't get notified after it has started downloading either. VW's intent was clearly that the download process is seamless and unnoticeable, requiring no user action, and that you only get a notification once it is complete and ready to install. Unfortunately that's a bit irritating if you know an update is due imminently and want to see it soon. However I would not recommend driving around in circles in an area of 5-bar signal, it is not worth it :) Just have to accept that if you only do short drives and if your area has poor 4g signals then it is going to take longer to download.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:31 am
G513 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 am Can anyone who has received the 3.0 OTA recently please tell me if they were given prior notification of which the day of the week that the VW server would start transmitting the software update to their car? I have visions of you all driving around aimlessly each day prior in the hope of receiving it?
You don't get this notification. You don't get notified after it has started downloading either. VW's intent was clearly that the download process is seamless and unnoticeable, requiring no user action, and that you only get a notification once it is complete and ready to install. Unfortunately that's a bit irritating if you know an update is due imminently and want to see it soon. However I would not recommend driving around in circles in an area of 5-bar signal, it is not worth it :) Just have to accept that if you only do short drives and if your area has poor 4g signals then it is going to take longer to download.
As Sidehaas says Welcome to Groundhog 2.3 Day...
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

As new cars are being shipped with V3.2, does anyone care to guess how long it will be before V3.2 is rolled out to all ID.3's? No doubt it will be even longer before we go beyond V3.2, my money's on at least a year for the former and probably longer for the latter.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:23 pm
sidehaas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:31 am
As Sidehaas says Welcome to Groundhog 2.3 Day...
I didn't have to do 2.3 OTA but I seem to remember it downloaded when the car was parked? To be fair to VW I think the new solution is better than that because it won't require people to go and park their car by a phone mast any more...even people living in an area of poor reception will drive in and out of good bits and should get the update eventually without having to go out of their way.
I would have liked a download progress indicator....but equally, I'm sure there would then be lots of people panicking because their indicator had frozen halfway or something... :roll:
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

It just came up with a message saying the the update was now available to install and that it would take 6-8 hours in which time one cannot move or charge the car. it also need to have more than 50% of charge. You also need to turn off the lights (as with 2.3 update). One day I activated it and it was done in about 7 hours. There's a red triangle on the speed indicator binnacle which also shows the parking brake is on while it is charging. After checking a couple of times I noticed the lights had gone out and it had completed the installation. Unfortunately no the Weconnect app isn't working any more so that is something more to fiddle with!
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Southwellpeter wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:48 pm It just came up with a message saying the the update was now available to install and that it would take 6-8 hours in which time one cannot move or charge the car. it also need to have more than 50% of charge. You also need to turn off the lights (as with 2.3 update). One day I activated it and it was done in about 7 hours. There's a red triangle on the speed indicator binnacle which also shows the parking brake is on while it is charging. After checking a couple of times I noticed the lights had gone out and it had completed the installation. Unfortunately no the Weconnect app isn't working any more so that is something more to fiddle with!
Don't do anything with the app until you have got back in the car and set yourself up as the primary user. Follow the instructions. They are all here:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... stallation

"After the installation of part 1: Set a main user

Turn on “Online mode” in the start screen
Please scan the code displayed in your vehicle’s infotainment system with your smartphone by pressing the “Scan Code” button in your We Connect ID. App. Or you can also login using the E-Mail address associated with your We Connect account by selecting “login with E-Mail” in the infotainment system
To benefit from additional online mobile services, please complete the following additional steps.

Navigate to the In-Car Shop in your infotainment system. You can get We Connect and We Connect Plus free of charge here
Take note of the Notices and Privacy Policy and agree to the new Terms and Conditions
If you do not have a valid We Connect or We Connect Plus contract, you can purchase them free of charge from the In-Car Shop in your infotainment system. Please make sure that your personal data is correct and complete.

Please note that the We Charge App must be reordered in the In-Car Shop after the update."
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

Thank you! However I tried this and the app still doesn't work on my phone. I'll have another fiddle tomorrow!
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
phixion

Post by phixion »

Southwellpeter wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:21 pm Thank you! However I tried this and the app still doesn't work on my phone. I'll have another fiddle tomorrow!
Once the install is done, your car should disappear from the app. You then need to follow the steps on the infotainment system to re-add your car.

I got part 2 of the update 1 day after the 1st part.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Southwellpeter wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:21 pm Thank you! However I tried this and the app still doesn't work on my phone. I'll have another fiddle tomorrow!
I had the same issues, took about 4 days but it all came through eventually. Take a look at my posts last week to see my journey, so far you are mirroring my experience.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:15 pm
I didn't have to do 2.3 OTA but I seem to remember it downloaded when the car was parked? To be fair to VW I think the new solution is better than that because it won't require people to go and park their car by a phone mast any more...even people living in an area of poor reception will drive in and out of good bits and should get the update eventually without having to go out of their way.
I would have liked a download progress indicator....but equally, I'm sure there would then be lots of people panicking because their indicator had frozen halfway or something... :roll:
What's the new solution, I wasn't aware there had been any change unless it was part of the 2.4 update.
The issue with 2.3 was the car only looked for an update on a certian day at a certain time, and if you weren't driving the car at the right time it just waited another week. Once triggered the update downloaded whilst you were using it and once ready you had to park up. People were being told by We Connect well WeConnect spouted allsorts of B'ks but they were telling people they needed a full 4g signal hence the parking at masts.