Advise for charging when arriving in Folkestone area via Eurotunnel / Le Shuttle

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

After Christmas we are travelling to the UK from France using Le shuttle and arriving late evening.
Please does anyone got any advice for hotels in the Folkestone area or along the south coast which have charging facilities?

Also any advice for charging at or around the Eurotunnel terminal in Calais, whether people have found it reliable?

It will be along trip... already 700km to arrive in Calais, then we plan to visit the south coast (my wife has never been), Cotswolds (I used to live there), and then eventually had north to Preston / Blackburn area to visit my Mum.... so sounds like we will do around 2500km. :roll:

Thanks in advance.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun

Chris

Post by Chris »

We tend to use ionity at Maidstone Services but it’s 27 miles from the tunnel, there is also ionity at channel gateway which is only 3 miles away from the tunnel
Mikster

Post by Mikster »

We stayed recently in the Premier Inn which is 5-10 minute drive from the tunnel. There is a charging point in the car park of the Bannatyne Gym about 2 mins drive away (50kw) and Instavolt I think.

There are also IONITY chargers near the tunnel as well although only 2 of the 4 working when we were there. There are also some Gridservr chargers almost next door….

Also at the Folkestone terminal there is one very battered charger…but it does seem to charge for no cost if you are lucky enough to find it available
Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, East Derry Alloys, Bike Hitch
Ordered - 31/7/21
Confirmed Build Week - 46
Delivery - 14/1/22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I think there are more chargers at Ionity Coquelles than on the UK side? If you have time I would charge there. I haven't used it as I didn't need a charge at or near the tunnel when I passed through, but have seen others report that they did so successfully, and it shows live on wecharge.

No specific experience of hotels around Folkestone but there are a few overnight charging options in the area on zapmap. Definitely download zapmap for finding UK charging points if you don't have it. Wattsup is also a good app, much clearer interface than zapmap in some ways, but only covers rapids.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:15 pm I think there are more chargers at Ionity Coquelles than on the UK side? If you have time I would charge there. I haven't used it as I didn't need a charge at or near the tunnel when I passed through, but have seen others report that they did so successfully, and it shows live on wecharge.

No specific experience of hotels around Folkestone but there are a few overnight charging options in the area on zapmap. Definitely download zapmap for finding UK charging points if you don't have it. Wattsup is also a good app, much clearer interface than zapmap in some ways, but only covers rapids.
I agree with this. There are 4 Ionity chargers in the grounds of the Holiday Inn at Coquelles 10 mins from the Chunnel. I’d charge up there.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

As others have said, there is a bank of Ionity chargers at the Holiday Inn, Coquelles - have used them 4 times, with total success
id3 Max 2021
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

There are Tesla chargers that are available to Non-Tesla users at Eurotunnel France as well. If you download the Tesla app, there's a map of Europe showing the chargers they've opened up to Non-Teslas. A handy Plan B or C!

Screenshot_20221130_185607_Tesla.jpg

Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
DBRM

Post by DBRM »

The Gallivant in Camber Sands is a lovely hotel with two charging points.

https://thegallivant.co.uk/
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Thank you all for the tips.
I will try to write my experiences on this mega electric road trip.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

According to the Octopus Electric Universe map, there are now 10 x 214 kW Electra chargers on Boulevard du Parc at the outlet store, part of/adjacent to Cite Europe (and evidently work with Octopus card). These must be pretty new - anyone here used them?
id3 Max 2021