Headlight option in low sun

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
gwr

Post by gwr »

Driving with the sun behind me, at this time of year, I'm unclear whether the riding lights are enough for oncoming vehicles to see me. I tried using the front fogs and no-one objected, but is that really necessary? Normally the lights are on auto and I don't have to think about them.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland

Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Technically illegal to use front fogs unless in fog or falling snow where visibility is reduced to 100m or less. Personally think that is silly and you should be allowed to use fogs when you, as a driver, think it is necessary due to reduced/difficult visibility - they are not going to blind oncoming drivers.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Technically they aren’t front fog lights, they are poor weather lights and they don’t project light forwards but out to the side so really won’t benefit anything coming towards you.
gwr

Post by gwr »

Big_GT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:06 pm Technically they aren’t front fog lights, they are poor weather lights and they don’t project light forwards but out to the side so really won’t benefit anything coming towards you.
Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks. I am careful not to use rear fogs in almost all conditions except pea-soupers. They are irritating and potentially dangerous in good to poorish visibility.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland