All season tyres recommendation for ID.3 with 18" alloys?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

I thought I read that EVs need special EV tyres. Not true?

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It's true that there are special tyres made for EVs, yes. Also true that they are always fitted when the car arrives new. A lot of people seem to get on fine without them though, and I'm not sure if any special EV winter or all-season tyres exist. So you can do without, as long as you get the correct load rating. You might just lose out on a bit of efficiency.
Excluding snow and ice I have found the Continental EcoContact6 options for the ID3 to be really good. Good grip and still going well after 12000 miles.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

chrisfs wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:24 am I thought I read that EVs need special EV tyres. Not true?
You need to ask yourself what makes an EV specific tyre EV specific. Possibly marginally better rolling resistance, possibly just marketing to add extra ££.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

For discussion about EV-specific tyres, see for example

Basically it's rolling resistance (with the dirty little secret that this is often achieved with a smaller initial tread depth) and design features which reduce internal noise

I've never seen an all-season tyre with an 'A' efficiency rating, but some are rated 'B'. There's an interesting discussion on another forum https://www.speakev.com/threads/changin ... cy.173970/ on the real-life effect of efficiency ratings on EV range, but that can be summarised as "it's complicated, depends on your assumptions about other drag forces, and probably not much range reduction" - but for some, any loss in range, even 10 miles, might tip them over the edge for their journey/charging profile

On two previous ICE cars, I fitted Michelin Cross Climate all-season tyres, and was really pleased with the reduced noise levels, reduced 'road buzz' vibration, no deleterious effect on bump absorption, no statistically-significant effect on fuel economy, compared with the summer tyres I replaced. Was so pleased with them that I will be tempted to do the same when the current Bridgestones need replacing

At the moment, winter and all-season tyres are in short supply at all local tyre fitters - been looking for my other car (16-inch wheels as it happens, so not same size as iD3) re-stock expected early-January
id3 Max 2021