Electric drive error & can’t switch car off/lock it

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
KathC

Post by KathC »

Had our new id3 since August. It’s had the AA out twice for errors, been into garage for a week and they found nothing, and on third time I took it to garage, where it’s currently sat now being repaired - but they don’t know what’s wrong with it yet.
On each occasion, it has had a complete electric failure. All the warning lights are lit up. Says Electric Drive failure, please return to workshop. Says lane assist not working and also that cannot display speed. We can’t switch car off as can’t lock it. Can’t open boot. When you drive, it runs as if on cruise control so no need to push accelerator. Had to leave it on drive overnight all lit up like a Xmas tree and in ‘on’ state and, fortunately, could lock it manually with key.
They are installing the new update today.
Anyone had this with their car? Any ideas?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Not heard of anything like that.
If it's happened on 3 occasions, how was it resolved the 1st 2 times?
What kind of logical decision is that by the dealer, the car has multiple issues but they are going to go ahead and install an update which is known to be problematic in itself?
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

To be honest, the dealership doesn't have much say in what they do. They tell Germany what the symptoms are if it's a problem that they haven't seen before and Germany tell them what to do after a day or so. When that doesn't work, it's communicated back to Germany and they eventually come up with the next thing to try. Having had my 1st edition go through these loops many times it's really frustrating. I've even know them try to install an update that's falls over and a couple of days later the dealership has told my that the best Germany can come up with is to tell them to have another go, i.e. don't change anything, just do the same thing, Not surprisingly it doesn't work. It makes you think that the engineers there aren't too sharp.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
KathC

Post by KathC »

The first time AA unplugged battery and reset car. It seemed to clear the problem. Then it happened again a week later so AA took car down to dealer but it had cleared by the time they got it there. Dealership couldn’t see fault so car was returned to us. This time I drove it straight there for 8am (car had sat on my drive on overnight as couldn’t turn it off) and dealer could see there was a fault. We were lucky that the faults stayed on screen overnight and didn’t clear themselves so dealers could see there was actually an issue.
KathC

Post by KathC »

Seems to have been a faulty abs sensor. Not had a repeat of that particular error since.
However, it has been back in as front assist error kept appearing and it did an emergency stop mid drive at 25mph for no reason. They have updated the car’s sensors apparently so fingers crossed this doesn’t happen again as highly dangerous.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

KathC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:47 am Seems to have been a faulty abs sensor. Not had a repeat of that particular error since.
However, it has been back in as front assist error kept appearing and it did an emergency stop mid drive at 25mph for no reason. They have updated the car’s sensors apparently so fingers crossed this doesn’t happen again as highly dangerous.
The emergency stop must have been a scare. Mine has stopped like that when moving slowly past pedestrians and it's like hitting a solid object.
I can't imagine an emergency stop at 25 mph that you don't know is coming.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I had exactly the same thing with pedestrians when driving the T-ROC a few months ago.
Lucky not to get someone into the back of me.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0