I'm getting really fed up with this car

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

It is so annoying and I've never had another car like it. I spend ages messing about with the unintuitive menu system to set the car up as I want it (reverse mirror dip, lighting, background lighting, climate, seats, - the list goes on) but it stays like it for a day or so and then just reverts back. It asks me several times a day sometimes if I'd like to apply new settings - If I Cancel it comes back within minutes, if I say yes - I'm not sure what it does as it doesnt tell me what these new settings are. It doesnt always reset anything then, it might be the morning - I've set the background lighting to bright purple now so I know when its reverted to presumably factory. The steering heating comes on even if its quite warm, so now I've turned it off completely. The car constantly, I mean constantly keeps enquiring as to what I want as if I've hit the speak button by brushing past it or said the wake word (which I havent).

This really is not acceptable - I can see others have moaned about it but its making a trip an ordeal unless I leave it to its own devices - in which case whats the point in having these adjustments on here.

I've had the car since late December (yes, not my choice on registration year either having waited a year but first notice I got it was ready was with the Reg Number - just a further irritation). Its software related so I'm hoping this can get fixed - its on 3.2 - but when I wonder. Rant Over...
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021

smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Steering heating does come on even when it’s about 10 degrees outside, I’m not sure what the top temp is when it does not come on. I quite like it now as I run with the Aircon at 21 degrees and on the ‘low’ fan setting so the heated steering wheel compensates for the relaxed warning in the car.

Voice command issue - it must be buggy still and seems to randomly want to help you. Turn off the voice activation word and this will solve it (and of course you then have to use the button in the wheel to activate)

With regards to the other software bugs for saved settings, this is not what i experience on v3.0 so should be solve-able. If it was me then I would possibly try a reset on the car and logout then start the login process on the car again. Others on this forum might be more helpful than I …
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

eyedeethree wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:26 pm It is so annoying and I've never had another car like it. I spend ages messing about with the unintuitive menu system to set the car up as I want it (reverse mirror dip, lighting, background lighting, climate, seats, - the list goes on) but it stays like it for a day or so and then just reverts back. It asks me several times a day sometimes if I'd like to apply new settings - If I Cancel it comes back within minutes, if I say yes - I'm not sure what it does as it doesnt tell me what these new settings are. It doesnt always reset anything then, it might be the morning - I've set the background lighting to bright purple now so I know when its reverted to presumably factory. The steering heating comes on even if its quite warm, so now I've turned it off completely. The car constantly, I mean constantly keeps enquiring as to what I want as if I've hit the speak button by brushing past it or said the wake word (which I havent).

This really is not acceptable - I can see others have moaned about it but its making a trip an ordeal unless I leave it to its own devices - in which case whats the point in having these adjustments on here.

I've had the car since late December (yes, not my choice on registration year either having waited a year but first notice I got it was ready was with the Reg Number - just a further irritation). Its software related so I'm hoping this can get fixed - its on 3.2 - but when I wonder. Rant Over...
Try setting the car up as you like it, then entering the user menu and pressing the 'sync' button. This should theoretically sync your settings with the app so that it doesn't keep sending new ones, I've heard it works for some people but don't know about everyone. It doesn't affect cars updated over the air to 3.0 as they don't have the profile memory functions.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:08 pm It doesn't affect cars updated over the air to 3.0 as they don't have the profile memory functions.

I wonder how many versions of 3.0 are out there? It will be a nightmare for VW keeping track of all this going forwards.
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Bengeo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:33 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:08 pm It doesn't affect cars updated over the air to 3.0 as they don't have the profile memory functions.

I wonder how many versions of 3.0 are out there? It will be a nightmare for VW keeping track of all this going forwards.
At least two.
Cars from the factory have software version 0333 and cars updated OTA have version 0363.
I believe there may be a third - cars that were bricked by their OTA update and then had the software installed by the dealer seem to have found themselves with an ESC off function which isn't on OTA updated cars.
Cars from the factory are due a small update with 'optimisations' which will presumably create a temporary third/fourth group, but one would imagine the purpose is to commonalise them with the OTA group before update to 3.1.
It doesn't matter as long as VW have a handle on it via different underlying software version numbering. '3.0' is just a badge for customers. Remember this same software is already also used across Skoda and Cupra vehicles as well but with a completely different skin and with a different update process (or not).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The concern is also that there are varying firmware, hardware faults dotted around (along with software variation). These would require recall.
Still unsure how much much brand damage has been done around this but they only have themselves to blame.
A shame as we really need VW to be a solid foundation in the ‘compact’ EV space. I guess MG and maybe Kia is filling the space. (For me Tesla is out as it’s run by a far right lunatic who supports climate change deniers).
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:43 am The concern is also that there are varying firmware, hardware faults dotted around (along with software variation). These would require recall.
Still unsure how much much brand damage has been done around this but they only have themselves to blame.
A shame as we really need VW to be a solid foundation in the ‘compact’ EV space. I guess MG and maybe Kia is filling the space. (For me Tesla is out as it’s run by a far right lunatic who supports climate change deniers).
I think you are overplaying things there. For the vast majority of people it's a great car with some minor glitches. Surveys on social media groups are overwhelmingly positive. Other brands have all had software issues too - Renault Meganes don't currently have a working scheduled charging solution, there were lots of problems with Kia EV6s' cabin heating more generally last winter, etc (and also lot's of frustrated owners/buyers wondering where their in-build cars are and whether they'll ever get the software updates they thought they were promised - it's all very familiar). Are MEB cars worse than the rest? Maybe, but since the 1st editions not much.
It'll be a long time before anyone well-informed buys an MG over a VW based on quality. They might do on cost.
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

Well said. My iD3 is a pleasure to drive and so far has given no cause for concern.
It seems to me that the members of this forum may not be representative of the wider population of VW owners.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I like mine so much I’m on my second one!!
👍👍
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I do keep looking at other EVs to replace my ID3 but I sometimes wonder if I would going from the frying pan to the fire.
My ID3 seems solid now. Yes, even the software. It has its issues, but then don’t we all.
Was always tempted by Tesla, what with the charging infrastructure and the software, but not even driven one yet. The latest price drops did rekindle my interest, but then when I drive the ID3 again, the interest wanes.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:08 pm
OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:43 am The concern is also that there are varying firmware, hardware faults dotted around (along with software variation). These would require recall.
I think you are overplaying things there. For the vast majority of people it's a great car with some minor glitches. Surveys on social media groups are overwhelmingly positive. Other brands have all had software issues too - Renault Meganes don't currently have a working scheduled charging solution, there were lots of problems with Kia EV6s' cabin heating more generally last winter, etc (and also lot's of frustrated owners/buyers wondering where their in-build cars are and whether they'll ever get the software updates they thought they were promised - it's all very familiar). Are MEB cars worse than the rest? Maybe, but since the 1st editions not much.
It'll be a long time before anyone well-informed buys an MG over a VW based on quality. They might do on cost.
It’s hard to find truly objective evidence and hard to get rid of any baggage (my 1st edition had ridiculous numbers of bugs in the first software release for months and yes I think that was worse than any other comparable manufacturer).
My new Niro, 4 months in, has one known app related fault. That’s it. Everything else rock solid.
Youtubers clearly like to hammer the ID3. But a few like BatteryLife are quite positive. But he has just released a damning video on 3.0 bugs.
I think the truth is probably VW have created quite a big software hole which will take a couple more years to dig out of, especially for legacy ID owners.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

smyth1492 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:38 pm Steering heating does come on even when it’s about 10 degrees outside, I’m not sure what the top temp is when it does not come on. I quite like it now as I run with the Aircon at 21 degrees and on the ‘low’ fan setting so the heated steering wheel compensates for the relaxed warning in the car.

Voice command issue - it must be buggy still and seems to randomly want to help you. Turn off the voice activation word and this will solve it (and of course you then have to use the button in the wheel to activate)

With regards to the other software bugs for saved settings, this is not what i experience on v3.0 so should be solve-able. If it was me then I would possibly try a reset on the car and logout then start the login process on the car again. Others on this forum might be more helpful than I …
Thanks - I'll try taking off the activation word - I only really use the button anyway
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:08 pm
eyedeethree wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:26 pm It is so annoying and I've never had another car like it. I spend ages messing about with the unintuitive menu system to set the car up as I want it (reverse mirror dip, lighting, background lighting, climate, seats, - the list goes on) but it stays like it for a day or so and then just reverts back. It asks me several times a day sometimes if I'd like to apply new settings - If I Cancel it comes back within minutes, if I say yes - I'm not sure what it does as it doesnt tell me what these new settings are. It doesnt always reset anything then, it might be the morning - I've set the background lighting to bright purple now so I know when its reverted to presumably factory. The steering heating comes on even if its quite warm, so now I've turned it off completely. The car constantly, I mean constantly keeps enquiring as to what I want as if I've hit the speak button by brushing past it or said the wake word (which I havent).

Try setting the car up as you like it, then entering the user menu and pressing the 'sync' button. This should theoretically sync your settings with the app so that it doesn't keep sending new ones, I've heard it works for some people but don't know about everyone. It doesn't affect cars updated over the air to 3.0 as they don't have the profile memory functions.

Thanks - When you say press the sync button and mention App, should I be able to change stuff like this on my phone app or is this the car software please?
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I wouldn’t say Battery life is Damning of 3.0… a bit of clickbait in his video title. Really the only thing that seems to nark him is that it forgets his custom setting for ACC (sometimes).
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

JohnEG wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:07 pm Well said. My iD3 is a pleasure to drive and so far has given no cause for concern.
It seems to me that the members of this forum may not be representative of the wider population of VW owners.
Its interesting to hear that your car has given no cause for concern - My car is a constant fiddle - it drives ok (notwithstanding its random braking) and I suspect most issues could be sorted if I just touched nothing and paid no regard to settings or adjustments, or indeed facilities at all. But if for instance, your car door mirrors dip in reverse and maintain that setting -why doesnt mine. If you are one that touches nothing on it and does just drive it as it came out of the factory, I could see you might be happy with your lot. I think it also fair to say, that I peruse these websites looking for answers to problems with the car - I would like to think the wider VW population should not need the comfort of these sites for many other reasons.
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

eyedeethree wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:44 pm

Thanks - When you say press the sync button and mention App, should I be able to change stuff like this on my phone app or is this the car software please?
I just went out to the car and changed the settings on the screen, removed a few things like gestures, wake word recognition and then pressed sync at the bottom of the USER screen - was that the correct place to sync?
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

eyedeethree wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:17 pm

I
I just went out to the car and changed the settings on the screen, removed a few things like gestures, wake word recognition and then pressed sync at the bottom of the USER screen - was that the correct place to sync?
I believe so. This is second hand info though, as my car doesn't get this problem anyway. I've seen people say for them it fixed the issue of getting sent new settings.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 am I believe so. This is second hand info though, as my car doesn't get this problem anyway. I've seen people say for them it fixed the issue of getting sent new settings.
You might be quoting me. Yes, thats exactly the right place and what made the message go away for me.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Many thanks @sidehaas and @mediguy i was pulling my hair out slightly with this too as car otherwise great but very frustrating for it to keep resetting user settings. ive hit sync on mine and confirm how it goes.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 am
eyedeethree wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:17 pm

I
I believe so. This is second hand info though, as my car doesn't get this problem anyway. I've seen people say for them it fixed the issue of getting sent new settings.
Yes thanks sidehaas - It hasnt forgotten the settings this morning so thats a good start!
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021