RCBO Tripping

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have had my Pod Point Solo for around a year now and occasionally it fails to charge because the RCBO trips randomly in the charge cycle. Last night it was at 53% from a 46% SoC. Sometimes it may trip at 78%!!!
It is happening more frequently in recent weeks, maybe 1 in 4 charges fail. I have logged a call with Pod Point Support but wondered if anyone here has any advice as to what could cause this.
Charging more frequently now as it gets much colder so it's becoming an issue.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Iโ€™m in the same boat but worse, installed in January, tried to use it for first time last night wonโ€™t charge just keeps tripping ๐Ÿ™„
Fam Pro Perf, 19โ€ Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I think if you have an RCBO tripping rather than the charger or car stopping the charge for some reason, then you should get an electrician out pronto to look at your installation.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

The podpoint goes red then trips, itโ€™s a massive pain in the arse๐Ÿ˜ฌ. Itโ€™s never charged a car since installation ๐Ÿ™„
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Chris

Post by Chris »

Iโ€™m guessing with it being an rcbo that the installation is in the main consumer unit and not a second box, it might be worth looking at the size and type of rcbo used
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Itโ€™s in a second box installed at the same time as the point
Order No 31515***
Casparh

Post by Casparh »

Chris wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:02 am Iโ€™m guessing with it being an rcbo that the installation is in the main consumer unit and not a second box, it might be worth looking at the size and type of rcbo used
I'd second that. Just check what rating the RCBO is. It should be 40 Amp for a 7Kw charger.
Chris

Post by Chris »

From memory so donโ€™t quote me but check to make sure itโ€™s not a single pole rcbo but a dual pole
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

If you went through a registered installer and got the grant. you have 3 years of on site Warranty and Servicing. Call the installers out?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Just an update on a post I started at the end of last year.
Pod Point came out and checked the RCBO out a couple of weeks ago and said all was fine.
It tripped at 24 milliamps I believe is what the Electrician said?
As no faults showed up he changed the circuit board in the wall unit which was great.
The RCBO has not tripped since ๐Ÿ‘ but on the 2 most recent charges it will only charge at 3kW or so and not reach 80% in the overnight reduced tariff charge. If I charge immediately during the day it charges at 7kW.
So is this a fault or the various SMART devices limiting the charge, network limitations?
It wasn't that cold last night and it's been fine even down to -6C since.
Anything to worry about
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Just an update on a post I started at the end of last year.
Pod Point came out and checked the RCBO out a couple of weeks ago and said all was fine.
As no faults showed up he changed the circuit board in the wall unit which was great.
The RCBO has not tripped since ๐Ÿ‘ but on the 2 most recent charges it will only charge at 3kW or so and not reach 80% in the overnight reduced tariff charge. If I charge immediately during the day it charges at 7kW.
So is this a fault or the various SMART devices limiting the charge, network limitations?
Anything to worry about
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Daveion wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am Just an update on a post I started at the end of last year.
Anything to worry about
Pod point chargers are smart chargers, so it monitors how much current is being drawn by the house and will turn the charger down accordingly. How many amps is the house fuse rated for? It will be near the consumer unit and if its older it has a giant sticker on it saying 80 amps. If it's a newer one they tend to be large and grey and may have a sticker on the side. Normally they are 60 amps, 80 amps or 100 amps. The charger pulls around 31 amps. So if you have anything else pulling large amounts of current overnight and you have a 60 amp fuse, then the charger won't have the available current.
I can tell you a horror story about the house fuse, I might actually post it up as a warning. You can't touch it unfortunately, uk it belongs to uk power networks.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

CarterHounslow wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:12 pm
Daveion wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am Just an update on a post I started at the end of last year.
Anything to worry about
Pod point chargers are smart chargers, so it monitors how much current is being drawn by the house and will turn the charger down accordingly. How many amps is the house fuse rated for? It will be near the consumer unit and if its older it has a giant sticker on it saying 80 amps. If it's a newer one they tend to be large and grey and may have a sticker on the side. Normally they are 60 amps, 80 amps or 100 amps. The charger pulls around 31 amps. So if you have anything else pulling large amounts of current overnight and you have a 60 amp fuse, then the charger won't have the available current.
I can tell you a horror story about the house fuse, I might actually post it up as a warning. You can't touch it unfortunately, uk it belongs to uk power networks.
I'm on a 100 amp supply but between 1230 and 0430 there is probably only a maximum of 2 Amps being used and that's if a freezer is cycling.
I topped the charge up at 10am when the house was in full swing and pulled 7kW. So something else restricted the charge on Thursday and Friday night. Going to try again tonight.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If it happens repeatedly I would call Podpoint
Lots of people have had trouble with these cars charging at half rate on software 2.4, it seems less common with software 3.0+ but you're not the first, Monkeyhangar had it with his Born I think. If that's the case, I think Podpoint have a software workaround.
A bit weird though that it starts when your circuit board is changed.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Charlieboyoo

Post by Charlieboyoo »

To be fair the podpoint is notorious for it,I had an egolf in the past and in the winter it tripped every other day .was a pain in the ass.would not recommend pod point