New / Updated ID.3 revealed

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Volkswagen has announced that the facelifted version of its ID.3 will be unveiled on 1 March.

Edit: Post below updated with official press release and pictures.

Volkswagen ID3 facelift 001_estd.jpg

Volkswagen have also announced production of the ID.3 will begin at the Wolfsburg plant this Autumn, and will be followed by full production of substantial numbers from mid-2024. “The new production line in Wolfsburg will give us more flexibility than ever before,” Plant Manager Rainer Fessel said. “The assembly line will be the first at one of the Volkswagen brand’s passenger car plants in Germany that is able to build both MEB and ICE vehicles on the same line. With the future SSP platform, this will make Wolfsburg Volkswagen’s first multi-platform factory a few years from now. That will give the main plant a major advantage in terms of capacity utilization over the next ten years.

By the summer, around 1,200 employees are to have been given training in ID.3 production.

daern

Post by daern »

Interesting, especially the manufacturing plant. Does this mean that they'll have both Zwickau and Wolfsburg churning out EVs? If so, that can only be a good thing for future availability and a return to normal leadtimes (Max / Tour variants excepted, obvs ;-) )
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Looks very nice, but I can't believe they are going backwards in removing Adaptive Cruise Control from the base model. I can't imagine the car without it.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

Just watched Chris' video and 3 others! Fingers crossed that the Top Sport seats make it to the UK.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
Goode

Post by Goode »

I think I’ve switched on ACC on my car a couple of times in five months . Could easily live without it. Same as on previous Golf. Never really understood how it made driving easier. I don’t find it a problem maintaining a constant speed or following a queue of traffic without it.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

For those who haven’t the time to watch the many videos about this there are no substantive changes (or battery, motor, dimensions etc..).

New front and black hump below windscreen gone. New interiors (nothing fancy). 12” screen but NOT for the UK apparently…

3 new colours - and a new set of alloys.

Specs on base models downgraded (eg no ACC) - but I’d take that with a pinch of salt as different markets always have different specs.

Very much evolution rather than revolution…
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

Goode wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:47 am I think I’ve switched on ACC on my car a couple of times in five months . Could easily live without it. Same as on previous Golf. Never really understood how it made driving easier. I don’t find it a problem maintaining a constant speed or following a queue of traffic without it.
For me, it's a convenience thing. Press a button and you don't need to even think about your speed, giving your feet a rest while the car does all the work.

I would much rather have this a feature of the car from purchase (as with all features) rather than a subscription, but that's because I generally don't do subscriptions. I buy albums, I rent movies, and very rarely use streaming services. Subscribing to features in a car really doesn't sit well with me. Software I get... but if the hardware already exists? It's like getting a new washing machine, but you have to subscribe to use the high spin cycle!
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

MotMot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:55 am For those who haven’t the time to watch the many videos about this there are no substantive changes (or battery, motor, dimensions etc..).

New front and black hump below windscreen gone. New interiors (nothing fancy). 12” screen but NOT for the UK apparently…

3 new colours - and a new set of alloys.

Specs on base models downgraded (eg no ACC) - but I’d take that with a pinch of salt as different markets always have different specs.

Very much evolution rather than revolution…
The 12" inch screen will be coming to the UK in mid-2024 when they swap it out for the newer infotainment system (same as ID7).
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Goode wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:47 am I think I’ve switched on ACC on my car a couple of times in five months . Could easily live without it. Same as on previous Golf. Never really understood how it made driving easier. I don’t find it a problem maintaining a constant speed or following a queue of traffic without it.
Wow - for me its used 95% of the time on the motorway. Its brilliant. Superb in traffic too... One feature I'd never want to get a car without...
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

MotMot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am Wow - for me its used 95% of the time on the motorway. Its brilliant. Superb in traffic too... One feature I'd never want to get a car without...
Same for me, I use at soon as I can.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I think there has always been a ID3 spec in some countries called 'Fastlane' that excluded ACC. I've seen some people on the ID Driver's Facebook group complaining that they had ordered the wrong spec and wanting to add it.
I like that blue colour.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Full press release from Volkswagen below:

Enhanced quality, likeable, digital: world premiere of the new ID.3
  • Customer feedback systematically implemented: sharpened exterior design, improved material quality in the interior
  • Latest-generation convenience and assist systems take the strain out of everyday driving
  • Electric Vehicle Route Planner makes charging the e-car even easier
  • New ID.3 as one of a total of ten new electric models by 2026
Fresh design, higher-quality materials and the latest-generation assist systems: that is the new ID.3. Two and a half years after the launch of the first generation, the all-electric bestseller from Volkswagen is now coming to the market with a comprehensive upgrade. In addition to the latest software, the compact electric car comes with a sharpened exterior and refined interior design. The range of colours has been extended by new colours, including Dark Olivine Green. High-quality, animal-free and sustainable materials reflect Volkswagen’s strategy for the all-electric ID. family.

Imelda Labbé, Member of the Board of Management for Sales, Marketing and After Sales at Volkswagen: “With the second-generation of the ID.3, we are continuing the success story of our ID. family. The design has matured and the materials in the interior have been significantly upgraded. The new ID.3 demonstrates our clear commitment to quality, design and operability, and we have systematically taken on board the wishes of our customers.” The new ID.3 is one of ten electric models that VW will launch by 2026.

Exterior: sharpened design, improved aerodynamics. The exterior of the all-electric model from the compact class catches the eye with a fresh and sharpened look: optimised air-cooling openings and large painted surfaces make the front appear confident and friendly from every angle. One reason for this is the new bumper. The bonnet now appears longer because the black strip under the windscreen has been removed and recessed sections at the sides additionally extend the front. VW has optimised the aerodynamics by improved air flow around the front wheels – known as the “air curtain”. At the rear, the two-part tail lights also shine in the rear lid for the first time.

Interior: superior quality, sustainable and animal-free. The interior of the new ID.3 combines modern design and sustainable materials. Precise seams in a contrasting colour additionally enhance the feeling of quality. VW uses the microfibre material Artvelours Eco for the door trims and seat covers, a fabric that contains 71 per cent recyclate. This is a secondary raw material that is obtained by recycling plastic that has previously been disposed of as waste at least once. Artvelours Eco has the same characteristics in terms of look and feel and durability as conventional new materials. The interior equipment is also completely animal-free.

In addition, numerous suggestions from customers were collected and implemented as product improvements and to enhance the standard equipment package. Soft, foam- backed surfaces in the cockpit create a new haptic experience. The remodelled interior door trims also have softer and larger surfaces.

Intelligently connected as standard. Charging is easier and even more convenient with the new ID.3., thanks to standard functions such as Plug & Charge – where the vehicle authenticates itself and starts the charging process when the charging cable is plugged in at a charging station – and the intelligent Electric Vehicle Route Planner. On longer journeys, the Electric Vehicle Route Planner calculates charging stops so that the destination can be reached as quickly as possible – using current traffic information and forecasts in addition to the battery charge level. The charging stops are evaluated dynamically on the basis of the capacity of the individual charging stations. This means that the route planning function may suggest two short charging operations with high power instead of a single long charging stop with low power. In addition, the system detects charging stations that are occupied – and does not suggest them in the first place. Points of interest can be transferred to the car using the free We Connect ID. app.

Modern and intuitive operating concept. The new ID.3 comes with the latest software generation. This improves system performance and is able to receive over-the-air updates. The compact driver display with a screen diagonal of 13.4 centimetres (5.3 inches) is operated on the multifunction steering wheel. The middle of the console accommodates the now standard 30.5-centimetre (12-inch) touch display for the navigation system, telephone functions, media, assist systems and vehicle settings.

Many customer wishes were also taken into account when designing the menu structure. Among other things, the layout has become clearer, and the charging menu is now located on the first level of the touch display.

The optional augmented reality head-up display (AR head-up display) projects information such as the vehicle speed and dynamic navigation instructions onto the windscreen. For the driver, this information appears to be 10 metres in front of the vehicle – displayed with the correct perspective and clearly recognisable.

Latest-generation assist systems2. The optional Travel Assist with swarm data3 is now also available in the ID.3. In combination with the adaptive cruise control (ACC) for longitudinal vehicle control from 0 km/h up to the top speed and Lane Assist for lateral control, this driver assist system can make use of two proven systems that are fully integrated with one another in the new ID.3. If swarm data is available, Travel Assist needs just one identified road lane marking to keep the vehicle in lane when driving on country roads.

Kai Grünitz, Member of the Brand Board of Management responsible for Development: “With the new ID.3 we are bringing premium technologies into the compact class – in line with our Volkswagen goal of successively offering innovations in the whole model range. This is also reflected in the latest-generation convenience and assist systems in the ID.3. By using swarm data in the Travel Assist system, we are taking the next step on the path to highly automated driving.”
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Some official exterior pictures. Will add more to a gallery here: Updated Volkswagen ID.3 Pictures.

34637-NewID.3.jpg

34634-NewID.3.jpg

34628-NewID.3.jpg

34627-NewID.3.jpg

34629-NewID.3.jpg

34616-NewID.3.jpg

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Interior Pictures:

34621-NewID.3.jpg

34620-NewID.3.jpg

34608-NewID.3.jpg

34606-NewID.3.jpg

34605-NewID.3.jpg

34599-NewID.3.jpg

34592-NewID.3.jpg

MattP

Post by MattP »

Not enough for me to tempt myself to ordering another new ID3. Feel slightly underwhelmed.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

I guess current owners might get some of the infotainment system updates anyhow?
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Anybody know when you can order a new one in the UK and delivery dates ?
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Ph66 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:43 pm Anybody know when you can order a new one in the UK and delivery dates ?
You can order now, any orders currently taken this year will be for the Gen 2, Face Lift, New ID.3 or whatever VW are calling it in the UK :)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Ph66 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:43 pm Anybody know when you can order a new one in the UK and delivery dates ?
I believe if you had ordered one in December 22, then you will get the facelift model. So any ordered now.....................
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Ok thanks
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926