Time to update software as part of recall

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
disorg

Post by disorg »

My car has been 'recalled' to get a new 12V battery and update the software.
    * the soonest appointment i was offered was 3 months away.
    * car has been in for four days.. they are still working on it and can't tell me when it will be ready.
    * no-one can tell me what additional benefits I will get following the upgrade (well why do it then?)
    * the dealer did not plan on giving me a courtesy car until I made a fuss.
    * did I mention its been in for four days?

Why does it take four days for a software update ... are they loading it on tape lol?

Anyone else had this experience?

From my side Its not really good enough.

Also dealer customer service sucks, (Citygate West London)

whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

Not to focus on the negatives, but if you read through the forum at some of the topics related to the 2.4 update, you'll see some people have had to wait for weeks for their cars to complete the update, if they haven't been bricked while the update is being installed. As updates go, it's still very problematic & unstable.

This should give you a bit of an idea as to what 2.4 does https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-4.html

The biggest part of the 2.4 update is to prepare for when 3.0 is eventually released to everyone.
    MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
    Ordered: Mid-September 2021
    Delivered May 31st 2023
    disorg

Post by disorg »

Thanks a lot for your reply. Its been a disappointing experience. No-one at the dealer seems to understand anything about the update. Just learning now that this isn't even an update to the latest software version! they told me today that part of the reason for the delay is that ALL VAG DEALER AND SERVICING SYSTEMS were 'down' globally yesterday (16th March) all day
    Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

disorg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:58 pm Thanks a lot for your reply. Its been a disappointing experience. No-one at the dealer seems to understand anything about the update. Just learning now that this isn't even an update to the latest software version! they told me today that part of the reason for the delay is that ALL VAG DEALER AND SERVICING SYSTEMS were 'down' globally yesterday (16th March) all day
    Not one for sticking up for VW and their system, but I couldn't even log into my VW account yesterday.
    Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

My Tour was in for 2 weeks when it went in for 2.4 upgrade,they just couldn't do it as it kept crashing and it had to go in again for 8 days as my ECU broke down too and we had to wait for it to come from Germany,think I will stay with 2 4,they can keep their 3.0.
    smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Its well worth getting your car booked in and updated. If you need the car then organise a courtesy car so you are not stuck without if it takes longer than expected. My car, like many, did go through first time and my local garage were helpful despite mine being the first ID.3 they had tried (it was back in July last year).

If you need scheduled charging in the car then don't get the update completed yet as 2.4 does break this and VW are not currently rolling out version 3.0 which does correct scheduling charging. If your home charger can/is being used for scheduled charging then this is not a reason to delay.

I found version 2.4 better than 2.3, not that I had my car long before it was updated from 2.3 to 2.4 but the infotainment was faster at the very least. Version 3.0 which will be rolling out, hopefully in the near future, is well worth the upgrade/effort of going through this process. I'm also sure (well I believe it) that we will then later get 3.1 and 3.2 which include further enhancements.

Despite VW making a bit of a mess of the update process, I'm sure they don't want a scandal of cars sold not being updated and they will have been learning from the last 3 years to ensure that they don't repeat mistakes/hardware component changes impacting the ability for easy over-the-air software updates.
    ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
    PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
    duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

disorg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:28 pm My car has been 'recalled' to get a new 12V battery and update the software.
      * the soonest appointment i was offered was 3 months away.
      * car has been in for four days.. they are still working on it and can't tell me when it will be ready.
      * no-one can tell me what additional benefits I will get following the upgrade (well why do it then?)
      * the dealer did not plan on giving me a courtesy car until I made a fuss.
      * did I mention its been in for four days?

Why does it take four days for a software update ... are they loading it on tape lol?

Anyone else had this experience?

From my side Its not really good enough.

Also dealer customer service sucks, (Citygate West London)
      No different here. Took 2 attempts to get 2,4 update, and each time 2 to 3 days. And the car still forgets any settings you load.
      Complete disaster. VW Concession has no clue… and it tees me off when I see the VW ID3, 4, Cupra etc ads on the TV
      If they invested the same money in fixing the software….. maybe this Forum would be half the size…
      Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
      His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun