Car shooting forward

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I've heard the same story from people who are used to manual transmission who have to start using automatics. The car suddenly jumps forward or backward when they're not expecting it. I'm not sure if its that that they put their feet in the wrong place or get momentarily confused but I'm pretty convinced its human error. I've driven probably 10 automatics at this point and never experienced anything like they've described, never experienced anything like that in the ID3. I have however had instances where I forgot I had left the car in B or R and had the car start to move in a direction I hadn't anticipated but my I instantly caught it when it happened so nothing bad happened. It caused me to get a fright, but I knew for a fact I had just forgotten to change it. I think when the car moves in a way you're not expecting, it always appears to be faster than you would normally perceive it, so that could also be a factor in these situations.

I will say, the autohold is very unreliable on the ID3 and in a VW Golf I had before. Regularly, despite having stopped and having applied the brake, the autohold has failed to hold and the car moved when I removed my foot from the brake. So I've taken to always checking the dash to confirm autohold has indeed activated. Caught it a few times doing this check. When I notice it, if I de-press the brake more than I already had, it tends to engage then. It usually happens when I'm bringing the car to very gradual, gentle stop that doesn't result in any jerky movement. I suppose its possible the car is moving forward at an imperceptible level and that's why the autohold didn't engage, but it seems stopped to me in those situations.

I've actually wondered recently how to deactivate the autohold for parking scenarios, so this thread has been really useful for me.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

MotMot wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm I don't have especially large feet - but do find it quite easy to press the accelerator whilst pressing the brake!
Likewise! There’s something about the pedals (at least the 1st edition ones) that seems a little off. Either brake size or pedal placement or gap.

I’d be interested if the lady who has this accident had any previous issues with the pedals.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

Sometimes I think auto hold would be engaged but it’s not, you definitely can’t just assume it is on, I’ve learned to always check it has lit up on the dash. I think it happens when I press the brake a little casually, kind of rolling my foot from accelerator to brake. You have to press the brake quite squarely I find.
Marion1508

Post by Marion1508 »

Hi there, this happened me 3 weeks ago in ireland. Car shot forward as I was parking, jumped kerb, knocking a signage heavy metal pole and into a trunk.
Did you take it up with vw and had you any luck please. Hopefully your wife is uninjured 🙏
marymarshalldoc

Post by marymarshalldoc »

I have had the same problem on 4 occasions now. The garage can’t find anything wrong but the car shoots off, always when I’ve taken my foot off the brake and then when I try to stop, the brake goes to the floor. It only lasts a second or two but I have had one collision