Switch between D and B .. and back

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
NWAddick

Post by NWAddick »

Like many people, I guess, I use B in towns and D on open roads. If I’m in D and I want to slow down more quickly I put it into B. Question is .. is it OK to switch between the two at speed?
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey with East Derry Wheels
Ordered November 2021
Picked Up October 2022
Version 3.2 (since new)

Chris

Post by Chris »

I used to switch for the motorway to D but I drive everywhere in B now, I typically use cruise control on the motorway and didn’t see any range gains in swapping
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

We don’t use D mode at all, it’s a pain have to go paste D to get to B every time we turn the car on.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
rawws

Post by rawws »

Not sure how much regen B mode actually does
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
gwr

Post by gwr »

I switch to B on winding roads and long hills, and sometimes when I switch back to D all the warning lights come up though the car behaves perfectly normally. I think you should be able to do this without lighting up a christmas tree but I'm not going to raise it with the garage. All is well after I've stopped and restarted.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

rawws wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:18 pm Not sure how much regen B mode actually does
It does no more than regen in D mode. The only difference is in how the car's regen is triggered - D mode requires the brake to be pressed or to be driving towards something the car deems you should be slowing for, like a roundabout. In B mode, the moment you come off the accelerator, the car's looking to slow down with regen.

Some people seem to think that not being in B mode is forgoing free energy available to regen, but it's more efficient to not waste energy than to waste it and then recover most through regen.

On that point, D mode is more efficient - it doesn't waste any of your momentum.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rawws

Post by rawws »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:04 pm
rawws wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:18 pm Not sure how much regen B mode actually does
It does no more than regen in D mode. The only difference is in how the car's regen is triggered - D mode requires the brake to be pressed or to be driving towards something the car deems you should be slowing for, like a roundabout. In B mode, the moment you come off the accelerator, the car's looking to slow down with regen.

Some people seem to think that not being in B mode is forgoing free energy available to regen, but it's more efficient to not waste energy than to waste it and then recover most through regen.

On that point, D mode is more efficient - it doesn't waste any of your momentum.
Thats what i have always though surely D mode is more efficient as its basically coasting when foot off accelerator and uses less battery , i personally dont use B mode that much as its not quite usable/strong eenough for one pedal driving like e-niro or kona etc
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

rawws wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:04 pm

Thats what i have always though surely D mode is more efficient as its basically coasting when foot off accelerator and uses less battery , i personally dont use B mode that much as its not quite usable/strong eenough for one pedal driving like e-niro or kona etc
B mode is much easier to stick to speed limits and when you get used to it can more or less do 1 pedal driving. for my experience it seems to be more efficient in B mode for stop start and i put acc on motorways anyway, and braking seems to be much stronger than D mode where you really feel the rear brake drums.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

After trying both for a while I drive only in D now. I do believe it is more efficient to coast rather than recover/regen. In addition my wife says B gives too jerky a ride.
I also have ACC "background enabled" all the time. It shows as a grey icon not green. In this mode it slows the car by regeneration when speed limit changes down, approaching roundabouts, for cars in front, etc. But does not accelerate. The only time I use B is descending a steep hill, I.e., "low gear now!"
ID.3 Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey
Breeze Poole Order date 11/11/21
VW Order number 3154XXXX provided 04/01/22
Worse predicted build Wk14 2023
Came in to a confirmed build Wk3
Collected Monday 27th Feb 2023
phixion

Post by phixion »

I stick with B, once you learn how to ease on and off the power it's great. I just wish it would have more regen braking and come to a complete stop.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

phixion wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:37 am I stick with B, once you learn how to ease on and off the power it's great. I just wish it would have more regen braking and come to a complete stop.
Definitely prefer requiring an input to do something rather than a lack of input. Would hate to have a foot slip slightly or want to reposition my foot on the pedals and then end up nutting the windscreen as a result, with even stronger regen.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:28 pm
phixion wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:37 am I stick with B, once you learn how to ease on and off the power it's great. I just wish it would have more regen braking and come to a complete stop.
Definitely prefer requiring an input to do something rather than a lack of input. Would hate to have a foot slip slightly or want to reposition my foot on the pedals and then end up nutting the windscreen as a result, with even stronger regen.
I've got an ioniq5 with one pedal driving and no way would you ever nut the windscreen, it takes anticipation to use it correctly as it slows gently and expect it is the same on other makes
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw