Battery degradation / Range (TRONITY)

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

For the last 5 weeks I have been using TRONITY as a way to link the car to ABRP as I wanted long distance route planning in France. I have just got back from France and looked at the information within TRONITY and am a little concerned at the reported battery degradation

battery-degradation.png

This is then reflected in the range

battery-range.png

I am hoping that this is just a temporary result of fast charging and running the car fairly hard - 130kph for hours loaded up. I have a 180 mile round trip next week that I will aim to complete gently on the motorway and see what the impact is on the two graphs and reported battery range in the car.

If this does not get better and is reflective of the true degradation at only 3 months of having a brand new car then I am very worried.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

My understanding is you always have to trend degradation. Probably over a few weeks and taking readings in different environmental circumstances.
I don’t believe the YouTuber one-off dramatic assessments.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I wouldn’t worry and read too much into this, I track my range via a spreadsheet using miles per charge and kWh given and after over 20000 miles of using home and rapid chargers I’m still achieving similar monthly range to when new

We have a tour so the range is higher but last august we did 1515 miles which worked out at 310 miles @ 100% and this august we did 1885 miles @ 100% would work out 311 miles
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Thanks Chris. I will keep and eye on it in real-world use
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
gfoldys

Post by gfoldys »

The degradation seems to be an exact mirror image of the range.

Is the software simply taking the range worked out by the car and assuming that this is due to degradation of the battery rather than driving style, speed etc?
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

gfoldys wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 am The degradation seems to be an exact mirror image of the range.

Is the software simply taking the range worked out by the car and assuming that this is due to degradation of the battery rather than driving style, speed etc?
I noticed that and wondered the same thing. Its a shame that VW don't make very much information available through their API for apps like TRONITY.
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

I am sure that gfoldys is right. I would look at the range and ignore "degradation". We have done three trips to France now, and each time the effect of high speed cruising is to reduce range (and reciprocally to suggest that the battery has degraded). However, low and behold, once we return to the UK and potter around at 50 m.p.h the range goes up and the battery magically become un-degraded!
The things that reduce range are, in my experience:
High speed (especially if it is raining).
Cold weather (especially if you do a lot of short journeys).
And, I think, winter or All Season tyres. Not a big effect this one, but I think it is real.)
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

I notice that Tronity are now displaying your own car's range compared with other cars of the same type and mileage. Ditto for what they call battery degradation.
My range has varied (in our 77kWh ID.3 Tour) from 265 miles in thee cold weather to 289 more recently.
Similarly the "degradation" was 13% in the colder weather and is more recently described as 1.8%.
I cannot visualise how a degraded battery would become "undegraded" again so unless anyone can advise me otherwise I shall assume that at 22,000 miles my battery is holding up pretty well and I shall continue to try to look after it.
As far as comparing with other Tronity users with the same model of car, it is difficult to compare "degradation" because I don't know whether the other drivers reached 18,000 miles in the middle of the cold weather like me or not.
At least if I compare average range I seem to be doing at least as well as other people.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

We use Tronity, have completed 11,500 miles and I ignore the battery degradation graph.

I’m certain our car has lost some range since new, however, it does not help how v3.0 software displays the range after a charge compared to v2.4.

Also the car is not quite a year old so I’m not yet back into the better weather fully.
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

smyth1492 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:57 am .... it does not help how v3.0 software displays the range after a charge compared to v2.4.

What is the difference?
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

My theory is that its determining the battery deg from the km/miles display bug on VWs servers.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Bengeo wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:02 am
smyth1492 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:57 am .... it does not help how v3.0 software displays the range after a charge compared to v2.4.

What is the difference?
From memory the range display with 2.4 was less over the place with what it said it could do after a charge. With 3.0 the range prediction seems to be affected by factors that don’t make sense and you get things like 100 miles on a 80% charge. I think that 3.0 when you are actually driving is more realistic off the range left though
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Thanks - the old km to miles bug I guess.
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker