Abnormal wear

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

I took my 2 year old (10000 miles) ID.3 in for its first service on Friday and when I went to collect it they said no issues found but they advised me that the front discs and pads are down to 50% and although not an issue at the moment, would need to be monitored.
This came as bit of a suprise to me as I have always driven the car in B mode so I have used the brakes less than I did on all my previous cars that never needed new discs even after twice the milage of this car.
Has anyone else experienced rapid front brake wear or am I just unfortunate. :?
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There was a thread a while back might be worth a read.. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1941&p=22034&hilit= ... scs#p22034 Edit: Although that is more about warping than just wear

I would get a 2nd Opinion personally.

I had a Tiguan previosuly and after 18months or so the service came back with an advisory on discs and pads, I suggested I would wait until the indicators told me they needed doing. Next service (approx 9 months later) they advised discs and pads agsin, I declined as still no indicator suggesting they were worn, finally I booked it in for another service and added discs and pads, picked the car up that afternoon and got told we haven't done your discs and pads there's nothing wrong with them, why did you want them changing?
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Thanks, will wait for the warning light, was just suprised, but looks like it happens a lot.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

DSB18 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 am Thanks, will wait for the warning light, was just suprised, but looks like it happens a lot.
Sorry, the anecdote may have been unhelpful..

I suggest you get somone else to look if you can, if they are worn then you need to find out and ask VW why, as it's not a common thing. Dealer might be trying their luck for a sale.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

G43FAN wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:10 pm
DSB18 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 am Thanks, will wait for the warning light, was just suprised, but looks like it happens a lot.
Sorry, the anecdote may have been unhelpful..

I suggest you get somone else to look if you can, if they are worn then you need to find out and ask VW why, as it's not a common thing. Dealer might be trying their luck for a sale.
I agree with the last bit, my dealer didn’t mention it to me but there was something on the report
I have always been very light on the brakes so I know they shouldn’t need doing unless there is a fault
I think some tyre firms (national) do free brake checks sometimes
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
TimF

Post by TimF »

DSB18 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:02 am I took my 2 year old (10000 miles) ID.3 in for its first service on Friday and when I went to collect it they said no issues found but they advised me that the front discs and pads are down to 50% and although not an issue at the moment, would need to be monitored.
This came as bit of a suprise to me as I have always driven the car in B mode so I have used the brakes less than I did on all my previous cars that never needed new discs even after twice the milage of this car.
Has anyone else experienced rapid front brake wear or am I just unfortunate. :?
As I understand it, there's no difference between B and D in terms of use of mechanical braking vs regenerative electrical, only whether the car will coast. That is, even in D mode, initial pressure on the brake pedal doesn't activate the mechanical brakes, instead causes regenerative braking. Actual brake wear shouldn't be much different between B and D drivers?