3.2 software update cancelled

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

Word on the street, is that VW was hosting corrupted files/images on their servers, which they've now corrected.

Validation system fail!
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It seems quite unbelievable that the update is downloaded each time, they should employ a couple of teenagers, it would be available via torrent across a multitude of hosts in a couple of days.
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

Part of my day-job involves working on update mechanisms for home devices like - gateways/routers, TV streaming boxes and various Internet infrastructure kit.

We deal with fail-safe, fall-back, disaster recovery etc. but the signing, encryption and validation of fiiles and images is fundamental crucial. Stunning if VW managed to somehow get that wrong.
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.
Tony 3263

Post by Tony 3263 »

My ID3 had the 3.2 Software installed, 5 days later got the message ‘electric drive not working correctly’.
Car had to be recovered, brought to the dealer and the latest information is that the car has gone to the battery repair centre as modules need replacement.
Mechanic thinks the update has caused the problem.
Car could be off the road for up to 11 weeks as apparently they have a number of cars with similar battery problems following the update and a shortage of battery modules
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Tony 3263 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:18 am My ID3 had the 3.2 Software installed, 5 days later got the message ‘electric drive not working correctly’.
Car had to be recovered, brought to the dealer and the latest information is that the car has gone to the battery repair centre as modules need replacement.
Mechanic thinks the update has caused the problem.
Car could be off the road for up to 11 weeks as apparently they have a number of cars with similar battery problems following the update and a shortage of battery modules
I hate to be blunt but the mechanic can have his opinion but I am sure he has no idea about the inner workings of all the components in the car. Mechanics are more fitters nowadays IMHO.
I also feel that comments like this coming from mechanics/garages are adding the negativity on reliability and updates. I know that many people have had problems with their cars but this also happens with ICE cars, things can go randomly wrong. (I know someone whos LR Disco Sport has given them £6k+ bill and still not fixed)
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The reason that a number of cars will have been booked for new battery modules will not be because they have had an electric drive warning, it's because every ID3 on the road built before software 3.0 came out (last spring) has a recall on it to check the main battery modules for degradation and replace if necessary.
It may be that this one car does indeed have a battery module that is causing the problem or it may be that the battery module replacement was identified as necessary by the degradation check conducted and there is no certainty that the module change will fix the electric drive fault. If the fault is genuinely with the software then I'd have thought the fix would be to reinstall it.
If it was me I'd definitely be asking the service tech for more information.
Last edited by sidehaas on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

My car was booked in at Inchcape Stockport on Monday to have the battery check & software 3.2 update recalls. Just had the phone call to say that the appointment has been postponed - they are still awaiting instructions from VW on how to resolve the current 3.2 update issues before proceeding with any additional cars.

If it is true that the update files on their production servers were corrupt and/or that the update process doesn't verify file signatures before installation this shows a dire lack of process control.
I suspect that if you a competent software engineer, having a spell of work at VW Cariad on your CV is starting to be career limiting - so presumably only the least able engineers continue to work there :oops: .
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Car booked in for update in July, no word of cancellation yet.
Noted this a few days ago -

"FRANKFURT, May 6 (Reuters) - Carmaker Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) is set to dismiss all but one of the executive board members at its software division Cariad next week to try to resolve development problems, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Saturday.

The unit - set up under former VW group CEO Herbert Diess -has exceeded its budget and failed to meet goals, contributing to Diess' departure and replacement by Oliver Blume last September.

Cariad's supervisory board is expected to sign off on the dismissals in a meeting next week, the source said on Saturday, adding that only the unit's head of personnel, Rainer Zugehör, might stay on.

A VW spokesperson said the German company was analysing Cariad and its projects."

Additional note is that the word Cariad is a term of endearment in the Welsh language, not on VW sites obviously.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Gannet15 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:46 pm Car booked in for update in July, no word of cancellation yet.

"FRANKFURT, May 6 (Reuters) - Carmaker Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) is set to dismiss all but one of the executive board members at its software division Cariad next week to try to resolve development problems, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Saturday.

The unit - set up under former VW group CEO Herbert Diess -has exceeded its budget and failed to meet goals, contributing to Diess' departure and replacement by Oliver Blume last September.

Cariad's supervisory board is expected to sign off on the dismissals in a meeting next week, the source said on Saturday, adding that only the unit's head of personnel, Rainer Zugehör, might stay on.

A VW spokesperson said the German company was analysing Cariad and its projects."

Additional note is that the word Cariad is a term of endearment in the Welsh language, not on VW sites obviously.
Not convinced that defenestrating the generals and leaving the poor bl**dy infantry directionless and demoralised is a sure-fire recipe for success...
... unless VW have a hot-shot replacement leadership team already on standby?

Perhaps the folk responsible for architecting the software development methodology + quality control and it's day-to-day operation bear some culpability.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Gwyver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:42 am
Gannet15 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:46 pm Car booked in for update in July, no word of cancellation yet.

Not convinced that defenestrating the generals and leaving the poor bl**dy infantry directionless and demoralised is a sure-fire recipe for success...
... unless VW have a hot-shot replacement leadership team already on standby?

Perhaps the folk responsible for architecting the software development methodology + quality control and it's day-to-day operation bear some culpability.
Looks like a knee jerk reaction to me. I’m not letting anyone near my car until this mess has been resolved no matter how long it takes. I’m perfectly happy on v2.4 and the latest version doesn’t give me anything I particularly want or need. Did a 400 mile round trip over the weekend and car behaved perfectly. No trouble with range, getting 4.2 mph at motorway speeds so no issues.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
lm7693

Post by lm7693 »

I have just got my ID. 3 back from its 2.4 to 3.2 update, after 2 weeks in the workshop. Multiple failures with the update process the first week. They did not try last week as they had been told not to do any ID updates by VW due to 'server issues'. I have been told, though, that since they got the 'all clear' to proceed with updates on Friday afternoon they were able to update my car and a number of others over the weekend and everything has been going very smoothly.

Everything seems to be working fine with 3.2 so far, but the real test will be tonight when I see if I can do its first successful scheduled off-peak charge since I got it in September 2020.
ID. 3 1st Edition v3.2 Sept 2020
ID. 4 1st Edition v3.2 April 2021
VW ID. Charger Pro
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Took mine in this morning for the full update from 2.3, now i'm nervous after reading this post, they have had it all day and I havent been contacted yet, so hopfully they have had no issues.
For all the people that have had update issues i'm hoping there are hundreds more that it has gone through without an issue.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

DSB18 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:12 pm Took mine in this morning for the full update from 2.3, now i'm nervous after reading this post, they have had it all day and I havent been contacted yet, so hopfully they have had no issues.
For all the people that have had update issues i'm hoping there are hundreds more that it has gone through without an issue.
Ours went through without any issues except it took longer than expected.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

gailjon wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:10 pm
DSB18 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:12 pm Took mine in this morning for the full update from 2.3, now i'm nervous after reading this post, they have had it all day and I havent been contacted yet, so hopfully they have had no issues.
Ours went through without any issues except it took longer than expected.
They told me it would take about 3 days, so as long as goes through (fingers crossed) incidentaly there is now a Vehicle Status option on my Weconnect app which I'm sure wasnt there yesterday, so looks like something is happening.
Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

Got a call from the VW garage,my Tour has been booked for 3 recalls including 3.2 software update and something to do with tyres and something else on the 6th July,just annoyed as they cancelled updates on the day my car was going in after waiting for 2 months for it,hope it doesn't happen again as with VW you never know what's going on really.
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Update on Upgrade, had the car back last night after 4 days and except for the voice control was turned back on, but is still useless, the car feels a lot more responsive, whether this is down to driving an ICE car for the last 4 days, I'm not sure.
When I got home from the garage it was asking me to update again, which I did and this morning there are two more updates which I haven't applied yet.
Also when I start the car I have a screen asking if I want to be online, offline and change user, can I get rid of this?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DSB18 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:24 am Update on Upgrade, had the car back last night after 4 days and except for the voice control was turned back on, but is still useless, the car feels a lot more responsive, whether this is down to driving an ICE car for the last 4 days, I'm not sure.
When I got home from the garage it was asking me to update again, which I did and this morning there are two more updates which I haven't applied yet.
Also when I start the car I have a screen asking if I want to be online, offline and change user, can I get rid of this?
It sounds like you need to complete the updates and log in as primary user, then you shouldn't have to select online/offline each time, but there is still an ok screen that you can't get rid of.
Voice control is quite a lot better after software 3.0 onwards than it was before, it usually understands things correctly rather than almost never. It's still a long way behind google voice control though.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Hi
No you’re not alone - my garage in Swindon have cancelled my appointment for the second time and I’ve had to make another appointment for July. Apparently VW communications with garages is extremely poor, and they’ve just been told to stop doing upgrades. I’ve no idea why some garages apparently are continuing to do upgrades while others ‘toe the VW line’.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Navigator wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:44 pm Hi
No you’re not alone - my garage in Swindon have cancelled my appointment for the second time and I’ve had to make another appointment for July. Apparently VW communications with garages is extremely poor, and they’ve just been told to stop doing upgrades. I’ve no idea why some garages apparently are continuing to do upgrades while others ‘toe the VW line’.
Think it's more likely that some garages are a lot less up to date and don't realize quickly that a fix has been produced for the issue that resulted in the pause.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I am having all three recalls done on Monday, including the 3,2 update. Garage called this morning and I thought they were calling to cancel, but it was just to confirm the appointment.