No radio/media sound - after software 3.2 update

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hi, has anyone else experienced occasional lack of sound from the infotainment system?

Three times now, since my car had its Software 3.2 update, I've set off and found that the radio is silent. If I swipe the volume slider, the infotainment says I'm adjusting the telephone volume. Audio volume seems to have disappeared. If I shut the car down and start it up again, everything's fine.

This problem has appeared since the software 3.2 update, but it's also since then that I've been using Android Auto wirelessly - and all the time. So that may have something to do with it. It doesn't seem to matter if I want to listen to FM/DAB radio, or a podcast via Google Podcasts through Android Auto, there's just no sound.

I'll do some further diagnostics - see if not connecting the phone to the car makes a difference etc. But I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced this?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Not quite in the same way, but I have experienced occasional loss of sound when I have had both an Android phone and iPhone connected to the car at the same time (with AA running and the iPhone connected via Bluetooth for phone calls). If the iPhone took a call, AA would then never produce any sound again until both phones were disconnected and then AA reconnected via the mobile devices menu. However this hasn't happened for a long time.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
The RovingGeneral

Post by The RovingGeneral »

I had this same issue and had to take it to the dealers. I had to leave it with them for a couple of hours and upon my return the sound had returned. I think they said they had re set something and it was during this they told me that i needed my rear lights replaced under warranty. fingers crossed all good for now...
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Thanks for this help, guys.

I've now experienced a possibly related problem. I used Android Auto to listen to a podcast in Google Podcasts. Most of the time I wish to listen to FM/DAB radio, though. But now every time I get in the car and Android Auto starts up, the same bloomin' podcast starts playing. I have to switch out of Android Auto, find Media/Radio, select my preferred radio channel, and then return to Android Auto.

I think this is probably an Android Auto problem, rather than a VW software problem. AA expects me to prefer to use its media audio functions rather than the car's. It's just annoying, though. What do others do about listening to Classic FM, or BBC Radio 4 Extra, when running Android Auto?
aayron

Post by aayron »

My car came with 3.2 and it probably does this every couple of weeks. It's fine next time I use the car or if I restart the entertainment system. I've long suspected it was something to do with the connection to my phone. I did think it was perhaps if my phone was on silent then it happened but I've since discounted that. Maybe I'll have to just disable Android Auto in my phone and see if that stops it. I rarely use Android Auto as I'm happy with the DAB Radio and in-built sat-nav.
Id.3 107KW Family Pro 58kWh, Makena Turquoise, East Derry Wheels
Ordered 30/10/21
Order Number 31528XXX
Build Week 47(2022)
Received Week 4 (2023)
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

I’ve had this a few times too - I’m iOS so using Apple Car Play. Fixed every time by resetting the infotainment system (long press on the infotainment on/off button).
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)
alf20

Post by alf20 »

Also got this same issue, since the 3.2 update.

Looks like it would be a good idea to re-do the Android Auto configuration .... or to avoid Bluetooth Android auto

Thanks for the tips !
ID3 Pro S (77KWh) 2021
MPA10

Post by MPA10 »

Had this issue today tried adjusting the volume only for it to show as telephone on screen, I’m on iPhone but worked on next drive .
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Thanks everyone for your input. Mine seems to have cured itself - for the time being.

Delighted though I am to have wireless Android Auto working at last, I do still find it occasionally fails to connect to the phone. This also sorts itself out next time I get in the car.