Insurance prices

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Has anyone renewed their insurance on their ID3 recently?

Quite a scare story in the Guardian the other day about massive increases on EV insurance and some insurers (e.g. John Lewis) not insuring EVs at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/ ... ance-costs

Would be interested to know what people are finding as mine is due for renewal in a couple of months.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Yes. We have the ID3 Pro Performance and an Octavia VRS estate (2015). Last year they were each £250-300 to insure. We got our renewal quotes (with Churchill) last month and both had more than doubled to over £550. I went online and was able to find an alternative quote of about £410 for the Octavia, which Churchill then matched. But I couldn't find any cheaper quotes for the ID3, so they wouldn't reduce it. We ended up accepting the renewal quote.
There was no shortage of people happy to quote, it was just all quite expensive.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
danielt

Post by danielt »

When I insured my ID.3 in June it was pretty reasonable, only slightly more expensive than it's predecessor (which was a 2009 diesel). I suspect the headline was rather overblown. When you look at the average costs further down the page you find that the averages have electric cars about 13% more expensive than combustion!
TimF

Post by TimF »

I've just been jumping through hoops to renew my insurance, for an increase of more than 50%. It would have been even more (over 100%), but by rejoining an organisation I left a year ago, that was avoided.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that some of the vast premiums in the article related to Teslas. I understand the way Teslas are built means accident repairs can be extremely complex. Also, EVs are significantly heavier than ICEVs, so in a collision they have more energy to dissipate and some of that excess will go into whatever it is the car hits. Crumple zones are great for safety, but replacing them, and anything they've damaged as they crumple, is expensive!

Add in the VW servicing costs (even though only paid every other year) and the costs of owning an ID3, even if it doesn't turn a wheel, become quite something?
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

My best quote was with https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/car-insurance, which is obviously quite specific to me and my car.

I haven't ever seen it on a comparison site, so probably worth trying.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I had my renewal in July and it had gone up 90% since last year with no changes on my part , managed to get it a bit cheaper , my local broker said average increase was 35 - 40 % and they wouldn't insurers teslas , incidentally when i changed from an id3 15 months ago the insurance actually went down .
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Insurance went down around 15%, paying premium next week, but expecting a lot of mucking about next year as the lag reaches Ireland.

As ever with insurance its all a bit of a scam, for example, premiums were allegedly tied to higher claim payouts, however these have been significantly lower in the past three years, any sign of premiums going down (mine anyway), answer is NO,except for above.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Last renewal was about £30 more than previous premium, not due until March so no idea what will be offered, but as I live in Wales and we're all doing 20mh I expect it will go down.. !!
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Admiral cost last October was £330, identical quote with Admiral this year is/was £550 and that was with them claiming to offer the same price as a new customer, they did reduce it to £440 but by then I had gone to Tesco for £410.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Anyone know what the rationale behind this is (apart from a scam), and I get the whole Tesla inflated repair cost issue, but whats the beef with VW, Hyundai EVs etc.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:14 pm Anyone know what the rationale behind this is (apart from a scam), and I get the whole Tesla inflated repair cost issue, but whats the beef with VW, Hyundai EVs etc.

Rob
It’s simply legalised robbery. An industry propped up by the UK legal system, where you cannot drive on our “pristine” roads unless you have insurance for your vehicle.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

the.kes wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:41 pm Admiral cost last October was £330, identical quote with Admiral this year is/was £550 and that was with them claiming to offer the same price as a new customer, they did reduce it to £440 but by then I had gone to Tesco for £410.
I just stuck my details into Tesco website and they quoted me 3 times as much as Admiral 🤨
Unfortunately my policy is due at the end of this month on the current car but my ID3 isn't due until Dec / Jan.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Repfigit

Post by Repfigit »

I got my renewal quote for Direct Line. It's going up from £341 to £582. The policy started on a car with insurance group 1E, so an increase isn't that unexpected for me. Unfortunately though it seems that this renewal quote is actually the best I'm going to get, having checked with Compare the Market and also VW Insurance as suggested above.
Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:15 pm
Boattrainman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:14 pm Anyone know what the rationale behind this is (apart from a scam), and I get the whole Tesla inflated repair cost issue, but whats the beef with VW, Hyundai EVs etc.

Rob
It’s simply legalised robbery. An industry propped up by the UK legal system, where you cannot drive on our “pristine” roads unless you have insurance for your vehicle.
In case anyone doesn't quite grasp why drivers are forced to have car insurance.

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/mil ... 35090.html

Someone driving a Land Rover pulling a trailer with another car on it managed to cause £50 million worth of damage, after falling asleep at the wheel, driving off the motorway and onto a railway line, then being hit by one train and then a second one. 10 people died and two trains had to be written off.

If you don't have insurance, then there is no possible way for the cost of events like this, or the millions of much less costly but much more likely events that happen every day, to be covered by society. A write-off isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, as cars depreciate quickly. The financial cost of hurting a human being is quite a lot more. This is fundamentally why cars are designed to crumple and be written off in a crash. Building another one doesn't really take much given the sophistication of our manufacturing processes and supply chains.
ID.3 Family Pro - 145PS, 58kWh
Kings Red - Assistance Pack Plus - Heat pump
Ordered 8th December 2021
Build week 49/2022
Delivered to dealer 11/01/2023
Collection date 17/01/2023
Front safety camera stopped working 1 hour, 30 miles into ownership.
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

danielt wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:36 pm When I insured my ID.3 in June it was pretty reasonable, only slightly more expensive than it's predecessor (which was a 2009 diesel). I suspect the headline was rather overblown. When you look at the average costs further down the page you find that the averages have electric cars about 13% more expensive than combustion!
UHOH - My premium last year was £302 with the Co-Op Eco - Who was best priced last year. This years renewal £942. Direct line £1008 (plus £87 if I want to protect no claims - oh, and £550 for excess!. Money Supermarket comparisons come out best prices at £530 - Clearly a lot better but still a massive increase on my policy ending during November 2023. Nope, the hype is real ok - its a bloody cartel
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
danielt

Post by danielt »

eyedeethree wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:29 pm Nope, the hype is real ok - its a bloody cartel
Nicely put!

However... are they turning the screws on ICE drivers too? To be clear all my insurances (car, home, breakdown, ...) have jacked up quite a lot this year but comparing the various numbers it didn't feel like owning an EV* made anything much worse.

[*] ... that is not a Tesla ;-)
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

My motorcycle insurance renewal was a very positive experience this year, but more than a scratch and the 125 Honda would just be written off.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus