Dead ID3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Tony1059

Post by Tony1059 »

The main battery is 68% and I can’t get in the car is dead. I had a replacement 12v battery around 10 months ago and a second replacement in July 23, both as a recall. In July I also had the update to v3. Something or other. About a week after I got a warning light saying the motor had a fault and it’s only able to be sorted at the end of OCTOBER! So about 3 1/2 months. Called for advice was told we don’t know what to advise you but as the warning was yellow ‘it should be ok to drive’. The light went off briefly, for a couple of days then came back on straight after charge. As I’m only doing short local trips currently it’s not really a problem, until today. I have now got a dead car. I cannot use a key fob to open it as they don’t work and for some reason the emergency key won’t open the door and only rotates a few degrees, is that normal for the key. I’m still inside my 3 year warranty. Could this lockout be something to do with an OTA update going on or is it likely to be the 12v replacement battery is goosed? Anyone had similar I wonder and how was it resolved.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Call Vw assist. They’ll tow the car to a dealer and the dealer should triage what is wrong with it (ie actually look at it) within 48 hours.

I had my car die due to 12v issues (killed the battery).

Vw assist will also arrange for a hire car for your whilst yours is out of action
Tony1059

Post by Tony1059 »

Thanks MotMot. I wonder if the 12v issue is also the cause of the motor / electrics warning light.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Tony1059 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:20 pm Thanks MotMot. I wonder if the 12v issue is also the cause of the motor / electrics warning light.
Was it an error like this ?

20230901_072642.jpg

ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Tony1059

Post by Tony1059 »

Yes exactly that error since the update. This 12v issue only appeared a few weeks later, this morning.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Tony1059 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:34 pm Yes exactly that error since the update. This 12v issue only appeared a few weeks later, this morning.
Ok that error is to do with your large capacity battery and that the voltage or something is dropping or not the same across the board.

This will be fixed in a module update so im told. I have to wait till feb to have mine done, although they want it in next week to do their own diagnostics on it as they will only accept their own and not from VW Assist (They as in our dealership).

I have to admit though I am mildly alarmed that yours is now dead....
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TheMack wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:39 pm
Tony1059 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:34 pm Yes exactly that error since the update. This 12v issue only appeared a few weeks later, this morning.
Ok that error is to do with your large capacity battery and that the voltage or something is dropping or not the same across the board.

This will be fixed in a module update so im told. I have to wait till feb to have mine done, although they want it in next week to do their own diagnostics on it as they will only accept their own and not from VW Assist (They as in our dealership).

It's not that straightforward. The error is most likely to be caused by what you say if your car has recently been updated to 3.2, but it can be something else. Sometimes it is an erroneous glitch. Some people have had faults with their battery coolant pump, which also produce this error. All you actually know, is that the car thinks there is a problem somewhere in the electric drive system. I certainly wouldn't rule out that it could be caused by a low 12V.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:21 am
TheMack wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:39 pm

It's not that straightforward. The error is most likely to be caused by what you say if your car has recently been updated to 3.2, but it can be something else. Sometimes it is an erroneous glitch. Some people have had faults with their battery coolant pump, which also produce this error. All you actually know, is that the car thinks there is a problem somewhere in the electric drive system. I certainly wouldn't rule out that it could be caused by a low 12V.
Fair enough. I was just going on what had been described and explained by VW Assist, but yeah I guess for us plebs they had to keep error codes simple ;)
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

From my (3) times dealing with VW assist - I take a quite hardball line and if the car is saying take it to a workshop then its clearly not fit to drive. The car also gives 'keep an eye on this' type errors and the workshop one is the next level up.

When mine worked but the displays all went (shortly before the 12v failed completely and it was dead) I told them it wasnt safe to drive and they quite rightly agreed. VW assist generally dont make the diagnosis, they call the AA to look then arrange recovery/hire car etc..
MagicDave

Post by MagicDave »

I had that error, it was because the vehicle had rolled in neutral, the main drive disconnects to prevent damage. All i did was lave the car for about 20 mins and the error cleared. Been fine ever since. I did call the AA and they were on their way to put it on a low loader but got it back on the road after a period of it sorting it self out.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes - the lock the car and leave it for 20 min 'reboot' seems to work for several problems. Mine had 'side assist' error the other day that disappeared next time I started it!

Interestingly my OBD reader gives about 70 errors for the module communication tab - so I suspect many of these errors cured by a re-start are simply (*ha!) the various modules/components having trouble talking to each other...