Intelligent Octopus and Tracker

The place to discuss everything else..
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

So having been on Intelligent Octopus Electric tariff since I got the car, I’ve been really happy with it and definitely benefited financially.

I’ve now rolled the dice and shifted the gas to the tracker rate and saved around £2-3 per day so far. Looking back at the tracker rate history, it doesn’t look like it has gone above the price cap in the past year. Seems a reasonable gamble so fingers crossed that continues.

Anyone else done the same?
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have been on Tracker for gas about 18 months now, and electricity since this last summer. The prices have been pretty stable throughout 2023. They had some high peaks in late 2022 but overall still saved me several hundred £ that year vs a standard gas tariff.
I switched to electricity tariff when peak rates for ToU taruffs were at 42p. I think Intelligent could beat Tracker now but only if I managed to regularly fudge plug in time so that I got cheap electric at peak times. If only EV charging and overnight stuff (dishwasher, washing machine) is at cheap rate then Tracker is probably better for us. (I don't have a battery). It's also nice to be able to plug in whenever, or use the car's departure time function, without having to worry about using a cheap period.
(My electricity smart meter also stopped working in August and Octopus have been very slow trying to fix it so even if I wanted to switch to Intelligent at the moment I couldn't).

If you haven't seen it, I recommend this website for prices:
https://mysmartenergy.uk/Tracker/North- ... d-Cheshire
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I'm the same as @sidehaas and use Tracker for both gas and electric. I'm retired and low mileage so the hefty peak tariff put me off swapping out.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:59 am I have been on Tracker for gas about 18 months now, and electricity since this last summer. The prices have been pretty stable throughout 2023. They had some high peaks in late 2022 but overall still saved me several hundred £ that year vs a standard gas tariff.
I switched to electricity tariff when peak rates for ToU taruffs were at 42p. I think Intelligent could beat Tracker now but only if I managed to regularly fudge plug in time so that I got cheap electric at peak times. If only EV charging and overnight stuff (dishwasher, washing machine) is at cheap rate then Tracker is probably better for us. (I don't have a battery). It's also nice to be able to plug in whenever, or use the car's departure time function, without having to worry about using a cheap period.
(My electricity smart meter also stopped working in August and Octopus have been very slow trying to fix it so even if I wanted to switch to Intelligent at the moment I couldn't).

If you haven't seen it, I recommend this website for prices:
https://mysmartenergy.uk/Tracker/North- ... d-Cheshire
Cheers. I’m going to stay on IO for now but will keep an eye on the Electricity Tracker via that site. We typically use 10-12kwh per day for the house but have shifted a bit of use to off peak. Usually plug the car in Saturday and Sunday mornings too to get off peak until 11am. Just checked the last few bills and I’m paying an average of around 18p per kwh
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)